Desperate for Help

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by dudewithasock, Nov 27, 2005.

  1. Borges

    Borges Guest

    Don't panic. If you're frustrated with yourself and the uni right now,
    take a break for a day or so and then get back to practicing. The most
    important is not to give up entirely and best way to do that is to have
    fun practicing.

    --
    Borges
    Borges's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/925

  2. Trapper

    Trapper Guest

    dudewithasock wrote:
    > Ok well I'm on my 4th day of practicing the unicycle, and I am having
    > virtually no luck.
    >
    > I -still- can't ride more than, oh, 1-2 feet before I UPD.
    >
    > During those 1-2 feet, I swerve like crazy.

    Dude, That was me after 70 hours of practice. Just keep practicing.
    Some of us just need to work a little harder at it than others. I'm
    doing pretty good now. Started at the end of July and I'm up to a mile
    of paved riding before a UPD and can complete a 5 mile loop before my
    legs cry for mercy.

    --
    Trapper
    Trapper's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10341

  3. burjzyntski

    burjzyntski Guest

    Make sure you're sitting up straight on the seat, too. If you're bent
    too far forwards then you have extra weight pulling you forward, and
    you have to compensate by pedalling faster; which results in a upd. Try
    leaning a bit further backward. You'll find that if you are seated
    properly, and focused on a static point (maybe a lamp in the distance),
    you will be more steadily balanced and able to pedal forward without
    -much- difficulty.

    Everything became much easier once I started focusing on distant
    objects.

    *Remember to keep your head up - look where you want to go.*

    --
    burjzyntski

    It's no good being Polish unless you prove it once a day.

    \"every silver lining has a touch of gray.\"

    \"drunk drivers run stop signs, stoned drivers wait for them to turn
    green.\" -'SDASD' (http://cannabisculture.com/articles/4131.html)
    burjzyntski's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10188

  4. GILD

    GILD Guest

    burjzyntski wrote:
    > Make sure you're sitting up straight on the seat, too. [/B]

    And that reminds me, make sure the seat is straight. Repeated UPDs can
    knock it off center and that can make riding it a bit more difficult.
    Just check every now and then that the seat is still straight when
    compared to the wheel.
    If you have a quick-release clamp on your seatpost, it makes more sense
    to loosen and correct than to force it back to being straight.

    --
    GILD

    'three short gs and a long e-flat'
    (http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/beethoven_sym5_1.wav) - 'map'
    (http://www.frappr.com/unicycleworld)
    '\\"freedom is just chaos, with better lighting.\\" entropy'
    (http://tinyurl.com/77lom)
    'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
    'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
    'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purple/child-in-time.php)

  5. Keep practising!

    It took me a couple of months, doing an hour, five days a week before
    it "clicked"!

    I'm still very much a beginner, but after six months, I can go out with
    my son on jaunts along the seafront and other places and it's fun!.

    good luck,

    Hooked

    --
    totally_hooked

    "The banana is big, but its skin is even bigger." - George Orwell
    totally_hooked's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10069

  6. underdog

    underdog Guest

    Keep trying. It took me about 80 hours over 8 months to do 50 meters.
    One day it just 'clicked' and I could ride. No matter how long it
    takes, don't give up. It caused me a lot of frustration but it has
    been so worth it. This is so much fun.

    --
    underdog

    'I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody
    tell you different' - Kurt Vonnegut
    underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197

  7. totally_hooked wrote:
    > Keep practising!
    >
    > It took me a couple of months, doing an hour, five days a week before
    > it "clicked"!
    >
    > I'm still very much a beginner, but after six months, I can go out with
    > my son on jaunts along the seafront and other places and it's fun!.
    >
    > good luck,
    >
    > Hooked

    Just thought I'd add some more !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

    --
    totally_hooked

    "The banana is big, but its skin is even bigger." - George Orwell
    totally_hooked's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10069

  8. wobblyjohn

    wobblyjohn Guest

    One thing that helped me out when I first was able to achieve a
    carlength or two:
    As soon as I was underway, I would pick a pebble or blade of grass at
    the opposite end of my riding space, and lock eyes on it. By intently
    staring at an object, often enough it would result in my head
    travelling in a straight line while the uni swerved wildly below.
    Keep at it, it takes a long time to perfect falling off! Once that's
    done, riding comes easy.

    --
    wobblyjohn
    wobblyjohn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11060

  9. maestro8

    maestro8 Guest

    Keep it up, duderideswithsocks! It took me three weeks of daily
    practice to be able to ride up and down the street... turning, well,
    that's another chapter in my book. Don't worry too much about all the
    advice you hear, except to endure the pain and keep on practicing!

    You have the ability in you, your task is to find that ability. Keep
    on truckin'!

    --
    maestro8

    Groucho Marx

  10. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    maestro8 wrote:
    > Keep it up, duderideswithsocks! It took me three weeks of daily
    > practice to be able to ride up and down the street... turning, well,
    > that's another chapter in my book. Don't worry too much about all the
    > advice you hear, except to endure the pain and keep on practicing!
    >
    > You have the ability in you, your task is to find that ability. Keep
    > on truckin'!

    The Maestro is correct, it took me that long too; just keep at it and
    don't give up!

    --
    U-Turn

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
    -- Dave Stockton

  11. swarbrim

    swarbrim Guest

  12. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    Keep trying. Don't compete against others, or against an imaginary
    normal level of progress. For everyone ahead of you, there is someone
    behind you.

    Relax. It is a game. It can be hard work and frustrating, but
    anything worthwhile demands effort.

    Here's a common problem: trying to remain in control at every moment of
    the ride.

    Try this experiment: take a long handled broom, and balance it on your
    finger, so that the broom head is in the air. Now, walk 5 metres.

    There are two ways to do this. You can take a step, regain your
    balance, take another step, regain your balance, take a step, regain
    tyour balance...

    Or you can let the broom start to fall, and then keep up with it, never
    quite regaining your balance.

    The second is the right way.

    If you get on your unicycle and go: pedal, balance, pedal, balance...
    you will tiure yourself out.

    If you get on your unicycle, let it start to fall, then pedal smoothly
    after it, it will be easier.

    The only problem then is making sure you don't fall faster than you can
    pedal smoothly.

    Smooooooooooooooooooooooth

    Good luck.

    Remember Mr. and Mrs Vere, and their son, Percy.

    --
    Mikefule

    Did you hear about the computer programmer conspiracy theorist who put
    10 and 10 together and made 101?

  13. cathwood

    cathwood Guest

    Believe you can do it. And one day you will.

    It took me about 6 weeks of daily practice to ride 50yards. The more
    difficult it is to learn the more of an achievement it is when you get
    there. If I can do it (being totally balancly challenged) then anyone
    can.

    Cathy

    --
    cathwood

    'Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its
    victims may be the most oppressive - C.S.Lewis

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

  14. GILD wrote:
    > And that reminds me, make sure the seat is straight. Repeated UPDs can
    > knock it off center and that can make riding it a bit more difficult.
    > Just check every now and then that the seat is still straight when
    > compared to the wheel.
    > If you have a quick-release clamp on your seatpost, it makes more sense
    > to loosen and correct than to force it back to being straight.

    I actually find myself forced to do this pretty much every fall, but
    luckily I have a quick release clamp like you mentioned, and can
    straighten the seat out pretty easily.

    Thanks again for all the support guys :)

    --
    dudewithasock

    'My Unicycling Journal'

    dudewithasock's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10900

  15. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

    sounds like ur doin fine to me...it took me a month to learn to ride and
    a nother week to freemount. you will get it with time and practice

    --
    trials_uni

    You can't get up and try it again if you don't fall first.
    -Phil

  16. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:08:52 -0600, dudewithasock wrote:

    >I actually find myself forced to do this pretty much every fall, but
    >luckily I have a quick release clamp like you mentioned, and can
    >straighten the seat out pretty easily.

    Maybe the quick release isn't tight enough. Many types of quick
    release can be adjusted (sort of pre-tensioned) while they are undone,
    by turning a nut or ring at the other side as where the lever is.

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    "erectile function trumps public image - David Stone, commenting on the importance of seat comfort"

  17. Klaas Bil wrote:
    > Maybe the quick release isn't tight enough. Many types of quick
    > release can be adjusted (sort of pre-tensioned) while they are undone,
    > by turning a nut or ring at the other side as where the lever is.

    I've actually already discovered that, too, and have tightened it to
    the point where I only need to restraighten the saddle post when I fall
    victim to a particularly nasty fall. Luckily, those are becoming rare,
    as I'm learning to control my falls and grab my uni fast enough as I
    fall to minimize the damage.

    --
    dudewithasock

    'My Unicycling Journal'

    dudewithasock's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10900

  18. GILD

    GILD Guest

    Klaas does all this work as a service to the uni-community and I'm sure
    he'll post a thread with a link to the new data when he gets around to
    finalising it.
    Asking him to PM you when it's ready might be a little presumptuous.
    Just keep your eyes on the board.

    --
    GILD

    'three short gs and a long e-flat'
    (http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/beethoven_sym5_1.wav) - 'map'
    (http://www.frappr.com/unicycleworld)
    '\\"freedom is just chaos, with better lighting.\\" entropy'
    (http://tinyurl.com/77lom)
    'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
    'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
    'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purple/child-in-time.php)

  19. Nimrod

    Nimrod Guest

  20. habbywall

    habbywall Guest

    IF your gonna fall to the side, try to turn your whole unicycle to the
    side, so that you stay on top of it, never stop pedaling, until you are
    at a 45 degree angle to the ground i think, but dont hurt yourself

    --
    habbywall

    what who said your sig. is supposed to be funny?
    habbywall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10260