Desperate for nutrition help with sports drinks

Eric

Guest
Can anyone direct me to a professional for nutrition & sports drink info
(preferably in SW Ohio)?
I'm having trouble with sports drinks. I'm allergic to ascorbic and
citric acids: too much and I get fever blisters and awful sores in my
mouth (things like too much fruit juice or tomatoes can really set me
off). I tried Cytomax and really liked the results during training but
after a race my mouth is all messed up again, and the label reads
ascorbic and citric acids.

I need a safe substitute... something without the acids if that's
possible? Maybe milk or Starbucks or tea or maybe I'll have to just
stick with water? is there a vitamin supplement instead of a drink? I'm
getting desperate.
Eric

Try the Hammer Gels and HEED stuff. I believe that doesn't contain the stuff
you listed.

http://www.e-caps.com/za/ECP?PAGE=HOME

"Eric" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can anyone direct me to a professional for nutrition & sports drink info
> (preferably in SW Ohio)?
> I'm having trouble with sports drinks. I'm allergic to ascorbic and
> citric acids: too much and I get fever blisters and awful sores in my
> mouth (things like too much fruit juice or tomatoes can really set me
> off). I tried Cytomax and really liked the results during training but
> after a race my mouth is all messed up again, and the label reads
> ascorbic and citric acids.
>
> I need a safe substitute... something without the acids if that's
> possible? Maybe milk or Starbucks or tea or maybe I'll have to just
> stick with water? is there a vitamin supplement instead of a drink? I'm
> getting desperate.
> Eric

thanks I wrote the HEED guys. this **** hurts and I'm getting desperate.
I thought is was something else, but today I drank week mixture of
Cytomax and my tongue and lips were burning, the fever blister swelled
up nice and ugly... and it was working sooo good for me

Eric

Eric <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Can anyone direct me to a professional for nutrition & sports drink info
> (preferably in SW Ohio)?
> I'm having trouble with sports drinks. I'm allergic to ascorbic and
> citric acids: too much and I get fever blisters and awful sores in my
> mouth (things like too much fruit juice or tomatoes can really set me
> off). I tried Cytomax and really liked the results during training but
> after a race my mouth is all messed up again, and the label reads
> ascorbic and citric acids.
>
> I need a safe substitute... something without the acids if that's
> possible? Maybe milk or Starbucks or tea or maybe I'll have to just
> stick with water? is there a vitamin supplement instead of a drink? I'm
> getting desperate.
> Eric

Same problem... only no fever blisters...just, serious stomach
problems.

Here has been my solution...

Use natural fruit nectors... This is not easy to find in most
instances. Most are fruit nectors that contain the preservatives you
have mentioned and with added sugars.

The brand I have found that is natural fruit nectors is Looza Fruit
Nectors ( http://www.foodservicedirect.com/index.cfm/S/416/N/83738/LOOZA_JUICES_&_NECTARS.htm
). This is a foreign company but can be found in some stores in
certain parts of the US. The nectors are very strong concentrations
and need to be diluted with water. I also add collodial minerals
(best flavorless collodial minerals is made by trace minerals research
( www. traceminerals.com ) out of Troy UT.

Avoid nectors such as cranberry or other strongly acidic nectors...
they too can produce the same reaction as the preservatives you
mentioned. The best seem to be Peach Nector and Pear Nectors...i.e.,
lowest acidic levels.

Also, I always add Banana Nector to reduce the acidity and provide a
large amount of Potassium. I also add a small amount of simple table
salt for long activities or high humidity situations. This mixes very
well... and, not that difficult to make... but, if you travel great
distances to triathlon... it becomes pretty much a problem unless you
haul your own nectors.

So far, I have not found a sport drink product that does not contain
the preservatives you mentioned... if you do find one, I'd appreciate
an e-note with particulars.

Finally if that fails, you can always make your own nector... I have
been successful with making smoothies with strawberries and bananas
(or just about any fruit for that matter)... It is very time consuming
but does work. So, you should concider buying youself a smoothie
making machine and use real fruit. Again, if you travel to do a
triathlon... taking a smoothie machine becomes a real pain as well.

If none of that works... do a search for drinks designed for
infants... many do not contain such preservatives... but, that search
can take some time... a brand that seems to be preservative free is
called BioNature (I've never used them but are supposed to be
preservative free).

Almost forgot, as for an after workout drink... I just saw a study
that indicated that chocolate milk works as well as the more expensive
protein drinks.

FWIW Joe Moya

THANK YOU!!!

Chocolate Milk? something that easy? well hot damn I'll just have to
give this all whirl (in the smoothie machine)
Eric

try SPIZ, http://www.spiz.net/, it comes in vanilla and chocolate, so
I don't think they have those acids in it... you can email the
company, and the president will tell you... I haven't used it myself,
but know quite a few people who have and love it!
good luck
cathy taylor

Eric <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Can anyone direct me to a professional for nutrition & sports drink info
> (preferably in SW Ohio)?
> I'm having trouble with sports drinks. I'm allergic to ascorbic and
> citric acids: too much and I get fever blisters and awful sores in my
> mouth (things like too much fruit juice or tomatoes can really set me
> off). I tried Cytomax and really liked the results during training but
> after a race my mouth is all messed up again, and the label reads
> ascorbic and citric acids.
>
> I need a safe substitute... something without the acids if that's
> possible? Maybe milk or Starbucks or tea or maybe I'll have to just
> stick with water? is there a vitamin supplement instead of a drink? I'm
> getting desperate.
> Eric

"Eric" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can anyone direct me to a professional for nutrition & sports drink info
> (preferably in SW Ohio)?
> I'm having trouble with sports drinks. I'm allergic to ascorbic and
> citric acids: too much and I get fever blisters and awful sores in my
> mouth (things like too much fruit juice or tomatoes can really set me
> off). I tried Cytomax and really liked the results during training but
> after a race my mouth is all messed up again, and the label reads
> ascorbic and citric acids.
>
> I need a safe substitute... something without the acids if that's
> possible? Maybe milk or Starbucks or tea or maybe I'll have to just
> stick with water? is there a vitamin supplement instead of a drink? I'm
> getting desperate.

Have you simply tried making your own? Charles Howe has put together a good
recipe...see if you can find it on/contact him via the PDQ club in Cleveland
(sorry, can't tell you the url).

Andy Coggan

In a sport drink, the things you need are carbs (depending on the
amount of other food you eat and the type of sugar between 30g/liter
and 150g per liter - more carbs are possible if you do not eat solids
and use long chain carbs like maltodectrin (up to 150g / liter
possible) - less if you eat solids as well (just count the carbs of
whatever you eat) and use dextrose) and sodium. Things you might want
are magnesium, potassium, calcium and amino acids.

I use 70g of carbs per liter, 60g Maltodextrin and 10g fructose. I can
stomach up to 120g but prefer to eat some solid food as well.

Every good pharmacy will mix you magnesium, potassium and calcium
(just copy the amounts from powerbar) in a powder, that - as long as
its dry - does not need preservatives (like citric acid).

For the competition you mix either:

Applejuice Special:

150ml applejuice (gives you roughly 150g of fructose and some water)
50g of maltodextrin
600 ml water from the tap
a little bit of this powder
1g of sodium

Tea Special

750 ml of herbal tea of your choice (peppermint for hot days ...
whatever you like) - not sweetened of course
60g Maltodextrin (70g without the fructose works the same way, but not
the other way around)
10g Fructose

Experiment with the amounts, I like the two brews for my training as
they are much cheaper and less chemical than the commercial stuff, but
I will take whatever is offered during a race.

For a race you can easily make a concentration of the stuff above and
dissolve it with water in your aerobottle.