Desperately Seeking Wheelbuilder

MPCRUSHER

Aug 2, 2005
I have asked this question before with no response. Does anyone know of a GOOD COMPETANT wheelbuilder in Sydney. Doesn't matter where I have to go.

I'm sure there is one in your local area, ask around and you will find.

Why not buy a new set of wheels ?

MPCRUSHER said:
I have asked this question before with no response. Does anyone know of a GOOD COMPETANT wheelbuilder in Sydney. Doesn't matter where I have to go.

I used to use steve hogg at pedal pushers but I dont think he is doing wheel building anymore. Ashfield cycles are ok.
Make sure you know what you are asking for as in double butted spokes, rim, rim tape etc., what you are using the wheel for.....
Make sure that they use some type of mild thread lock on the nipples and not just oil. Wheelsmith spoke prep is good. I build my own wheels and use the old linseed oil which works for me.

Cheers

Geoff

Thanks for the help guys.

I did have my LBS build me a while about 6 months ago. It went out of true within a couple of weeks. I fixed it myself.

The reason I didn't want to buy a wheel set is because I have for a long time dreamt of having King hubs.

I have splurged on a set of chris king hubs and a pair of Mavic open pro rims. This has not been cheap, so I want a real professional to build them. Not some grease monkey that talks up his prowess.

I will check out Ashfield. thanks.

MPCRUSHER said:
Thanks for the help guys.

I did have my LBS build me a while about 6 months ago. It went out of true within a couple of weeks. I fixed it myself.

The reason I didn't want to buy a wheel set is because I have for a long time dreamt of having King hubs.

I have splurged on a set of chris king hubs and a pair of Mavic open pro rims. This has not been cheap, so I want a real professional to build them. Not some grease monkey that talks up his prowess.

I will check out Ashfield. thanks.
Check out Dave richo at panther cycles in penrith, Has built me some very nice wheels over the years, Including some Zipps last year.

redorbea said:
Check out Dave richo at panther cycles in penrith, Has built me some very nice wheels over the years, Including some Zipps last year.
will do thanks.

Anyone know of a worthy wheel builder in Perth?, or do we import from the east?

Thanks...

Just reviving an old thread as I am thinking seriously of getting some sturdy wheels built. Anymore recommendations?

Also I am assuming that double butted spokes are stronger?

I did a search on the web, and get the idea that the cost of building one wheel excluding parts is abt $55.

Any recommendations for rims and hubs? and how much they would cost?

Thanks

thomas_cho said:
Just reviving an old thread as I am thinking seriously of getting some sturdy wheels built. Anymore recommendations?

Also I am assuming that double butted spokes are stronger?

I did a search on the web, and get the idea that the cost of building one wheel excluding parts is abt $55.

Any recommendations for rims and hubs? and how much they would cost?

Thanks
32 or 36 spoke on the rear, 32 or 28 spoke on the front. Velocity Aerohead rims with 105 or Ultegra hubset (Campy is too expensive). Offset rim for rear wheel (OC).
Double butted spokes are effectively neither stronger nor weaker, but are lighter and more elastic. There is some debate about whether increased spoke elasticity makes the wheel stronger or weaker. My strongest wheel so far has been one made of non-butted spokes, but there were other reasons for its increased strength.
Get Steve Hogg of "Pedal Pushers" (in Rosebery) to build them; he is often considered Sydney's best wheel builder and the rear wheel that he built for me is the only one that has neither pinged nor gone out of true nor broken spokes.

Post it to Hampton Cycles if you get stuck...

353 Hampton Street, Hampton, VIC Call them to discuss...they do a great job...very prof., reasonable pricing and quick service Phone: 03 95980810