Dessert Ideas wanted

TopKat

Guest
I read this group alot and I am hoping to get some good suggestions on
what to bring for a potluck at work.
I'm responsible for a dessert, there are about 20 people who will be
attending, and we have a fridge to keep it in (if necessary).

Thanks RFC'ers for any ideas!

TopKat wrote:

> I read this group alot and I am hoping to get some good suggestions on
> what to bring for a potluck at work.
> I'm responsible for a dessert, there are about 20 people who will be
> attending, and we have a fridge to keep it in (if necessary).
>
> Thanks RFC'ers for any ideas!

There are so many options that it would help if you specified your
question. What desserts are you considereing? Do you haev any favories
that you would like to have at the potluck? Are there any ingrediens
that are off limits? How difficult can the recipe be, how much time do
you want ot put into this?

TopKat wrote:
> I read this group alot and I am hoping to get some good suggestions on
> what to bring for a potluck at work.
> I'm responsible for a dessert, there are about 20 people who will be
> attending, and we have a fridge to keep it in (if necessary).

Bars or cookies of some sort. These can be served on a single platter,
don't need refrigerator space (others will need it more), can be eaten
as finger food with just a napkin (saves on clean-up when you'll already
be using plenty of plates) and store well if they're not all eaten (so
you can bring extra and not worry so much about bringing exactly the
right amount).

I recommend a variety. If you're up to this much baking, bring
something chocolate (brownies) and something not too sweet (I've posted
before a nut cookie recipe that's sweetened with maple syrup and could
do so again), something with a lemon or fruit flavor, etc. If you want
to impress the hell out of people, bring a big bowl of stemmed washed
strawberries (or other fruit that looks good at the market) and serve
them plain in the bowl.

--Lia

TopKat wrote:

> I read this group alot and I am hoping to get some good suggestions on
> what to bring for a potluck at work.
> I'm responsible for a dessert, there are about 20 people who will be
> attending, and we have a fridge to keep it in (if necessary).
>
> Thanks RFC'ers for any ideas!

Easy Fruit Pie
Unroll a sheet of puff pastry. Spread pie filling (I use homemade apple
pie filling, but any fruit pie filling would work) in the centre of the
puff pastry sheet leaving about an 1 1/2" without filling around the
pastry. Fold the plain pastry up and over the filling creating a frame.
Bake at 375 F until the pastry is golden brown. This is good served
either hot or cold. It's nice with a little whipped cream. It looks
like you did a lot of work too. For 20 people I would make at least 2. HTH

"TopKat" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
>I read this group alot and I am hoping to get some good suggestions on
> what to bring for a potluck at work.
> I'm responsible for a dessert, there are about 20 people who will be
> attending, and we have a fridge to keep it in (if necessary).
>
> Thanks RFC'ers for any ideas!

What about a fruit tarte with custard and jelly over? it's very springly :)
You make a base of short pastry and you fill it with custard; over custard
you put slices of kiwies, bananas, strawberries etc and at the end jelly.

--
Cheers
Pandora

jake wrote:

> TopKat wrote:
>
> > I read this group alot and I am hoping to get some good suggestions

> on
> > what to bring for a potluck at work.
> > I'm responsible for a dessert, there are about 20 people who will be

> > attending, and we have a fridge to keep it in (if necessary).
> >
> > Thanks RFC'ers for any ideas!

> There are so many options that it would help if you specified your
> question. What desserts are you considereing? Do you haev any favories
>
> that you would like to have at the potluck? Are there any ingrediens
> that are off limits? How difficult can the recipe be, how much time do
>
> you want ot put into this?

All very good points that i wholly endorse. However i have no problem
with just mentioning "Fraises Sarah Bernhardt" from Escoffiers Guide
Culinaire.

It is a base of vanilla ice cream with chunks of fresh pineapple and a
pure of strawberries with macerated chopped strawberries and this all
topped off with a specific type of flavoured whipped cream "Frangipani".
The strawberry puree is made with a fruit flavoured liquor.

I also sometimes make a chocolate torte that is only eggs, butter and
chocolate. Though a cup of port reduced to a few tbs. is a good
addition. Googeling my name, in the google 'group' search, Joseph
Littleshoes and either of these deserts (midnight torte for the
chocolate torte) will produce several posts i have made about these
desserts, including the full recipes for each.
---
JL

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> TopKat wrote:
>
> > I read this group alot and I am hoping to get some good suggestions on
> > what to bring for a potluck at work.
> > I'm responsible for a dessert, there are about 20 people who will be
> > attending, and we have a fridge to keep it in (if necessary).
> >
> > Thanks RFC'ers for any ideas!

> There are so many options that it would help if you specified your
> question. What desserts are you considereing? Do you haev any favories
> that you would like to have at the potluck? Are there any ingrediens
> that are off limits? How difficult can the recipe be, how much time do
> you want ot put into this?

I can cook, although I consider myself a complete and utter novice :)

I want to bring something homemade, like a cookie, bar, or coffee cake
but not the same old choc. chip or sugar cookies. As far as I know, no
ingredients are off limits to anyone and I'd like something fairly
simple (hour or two tops), as I'll have to bake on a work night..(ACK!)

Thanks for the help!

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 22:50:43 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes
<[email protected]> wrote:

>All very good points that i wholly endorse.

<pretension snipped>

Since you are doing a potluck at work...I doubt that +/- 1% of the
workforce will be impressed with anything other than a cobbler.

A long standing rule about potlucks.....10% of the people will eat 90%
of the food.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Apple Nut Cobbler

desserts, fruits, pies

1/2 cup almonds, sliced & toasted
6 medium granny smith apples
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 1/3 tablespoon butter
1/3 cup milk
1 egg wash

Preheat oven to 350F.

Cut apples into 8 wedges. Toss apples with 1/4 cup sugar. Place apples
in 2
quart baking dish. Spread out into even layer in pan.

In food processor, blend flour remaining 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder
and
salt. Add butter to flour. Process until completely blended and
mixture
resembles coarse meal. Pour flour mixture into bowl. Add milk. Blend
just
until milk is absorbed. Add more flour if necessary. Gather into a
ball.

On lightly floured board, roll dough out into a shape that will cover
the
fruit. Carefully place rolled out dough over fruit in baking dish.
Tuck in
edges. Brush with egg wash. Top with toasted almonds.

Bake on lowest oven rack for 45 to 50 minutes or until apples are
tender
and topping golden brown. Cool on rack about 15 minutes before
serving.

Yield: 6 servings

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Blueberry Cobbler

desserts, fruits, pies

1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
4 cup blueberries
1 teaspoon lemon juice
----BISCUIT TOPPING----
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoon shortening
1/2 cup milk

Heat oven to 400F.

Blend 1/2 cup sugar and the cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Stir in
blueberries and lemon juice. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture
thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute. Pour into an ungreased 2
quart casserole. Keep fruit mixture hot in oven while preparing
biscuit topping.

Measure flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, the baking powder and salt into
bowl. Add shortening and milk. Cut through shortening six times. Mix
until dough forms a ball. Drop dough by 6 spoonfuls onto hot fruit.

Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until biscuit topping is golden brown.
Variations:

Fresh Cherry Cobbler: Substitute 4 cups pitted fresh red ****
cherries for the blueberries. Increase sugar in fruit mixture to 1
1/4 cup, cornstarch to 3 tablespoons and substitute 1/4 teaspoon
almond extract for the lemon juice.

Fresh Peach Cobbler: Substitute 4 cups sliced fresh peeled peaches
for the blueberries and add 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon to the
sugar-cornstarch mixture.

Yield: 6 servings

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Peach Cobbler

desserts, fruits, pies

1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
16 oz peaches

Fresh peeled peaches need enough juice (add a little water if
necessary) to
keep the cobbler from being too dry.

Preheat oven to 375F.

Melt butter in deep baking dish. Mix flour, sugar, salt and baking
powder.
Add milk to dry ingredients and mix well. Pour mixture over melted
butter.
Add peaches on top of batter, but do not stir.

Bake until golden brown on top.

Yield: 8 servings

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures
may not be consistent with what you know to be true.

As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!

"TopKat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I read this group alot and I am hoping to get some good suggestions on
> what to bring for a potluck at work.
> I'm responsible for a dessert, there are about 20 people who will be
> attending, and we have a fridge to keep it in (if necessary).
>
> Thanks RFC'ers for any ideas!

I think something like Tiramisu or a trifle would work well. Both are pretty easy,
look impressive, and serve alot :)
I've posted my recipe for tiramisu numerous times, you can google it.
I made a trifle for an anniversary party recently too that was a hit. I made a pastry
cream (milk, cream, egg yolks, vanilla bean, flour), and whisked into some softened
mascarpone cheese. I layered slices of a marble angel food cake with the cream and
sliced fresh strawberries. Then I pureed some more strawberries and some raspberries
and a few blackberries (the color was awesome!) and drizzled that over the top.
Everyone loved it and it was an easy dessert to make. My daughter thought chocolate
was missing, but that's because she IS my daughter! lol

kimberly

TopKat <[email protected]> wrote in news:MPG.1e884d59d858ced1989680
@news.comcast.net:

> I read this group alot and I am hoping to get some good suggestions on
> what to bring for a potluck at work.
> I'm responsible for a dessert, there are about 20 people who will be
> attending, and we have a fridge to keep it in (if necessary).

Make a crisp using canned whole cranberries. Warm in microwave before
serving and serve with sour cream. The mixture of **** cranberries, with
sugar and butter and sour cream is interesting. This is also incredibly
easy.

--

Charles
The significant problems we face cannot be solved

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 03:50:23 GMT, Charles Quinn wrote:

> Make a crisp using canned whole cranberries.

You're making it sound like canned cherries. Do you mean cranberry
"sauce"?

sf <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 03:50:23 GMT, Charles Quinn wrote:
>
>> Make a crisp using canned whole cranberries.

> You're making it sound like canned cherries. Do you mean cranberry
> "sauce"?

Yes.

--

Charles
The significant problems we face cannot be solved
at the same level of thinking we were at when we
created them. Albert Einstein

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 05:26:20 -0500, TopKat <[email protected]>
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>I read this group alot and I am hoping to get some good suggestions on
>what to bring for a potluck at work.
>I'm responsible for a dessert, there are about 20 people who will be
>attending, and we have a fridge to keep it in (if necessary).
>
>Thanks RFC'ers for any ideas!

Easiest thing in the world:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Heath Bar Cake

desserts

2 cups brown sugar
2 cups flour; sifted
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup pecans; chopped
6 Heath Candy Bars; chopped

Mix the sugar and flour and then cut in the butter. Reserve 1 cup for
the topping. Add egg, milk, baking soda and vanilla to the remaining
crumbs and beat well. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Sprinkle
top with the nuts, candy and reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 350° F
for 35 minutes. Cut into bars.

Ladle Whiskey Butter Sauce over individual servings.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Whiskey Butter Sauce

desserts

4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
1/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tablespoon very hot water
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup bourbon whiskey

Melt the butter in the top of a double boiler set over gently
simmering water. Beat the sugar and egg in a small bowl until blended.
Stir the egg mixture into the butter. Add the hot water and stir until
the mixture coats the back of a spoon, about 7 minutes. Remove from
the double boiler and let cool to room temperature. Stir in the cream
and whiskey.

Contributor: New Tastes from Texas

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

TopKat wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> > TopKat wrote:
> >
> > > I read this group alot and I am hoping to get some good suggestions on
> > > what to bring for a potluck at work.
> > > I'm responsible for a dessert, there are about 20 people who will be
> > > attending, and we have a fridge to keep it in (if necessary).
> > >
> > > Thanks RFC'ers for any ideas!

> > There are so many options that it would help if you specified your
> > question. What desserts are you considereing? Do you haev any favories
> > that you would like to have at the potluck? Are there any ingrediens
> > that are off limits? How difficult can the recipe be, how much time do
> > you want ot put into this?
> >

> I can cook, although I consider myself a complete and utter novice :)
>
> I want to bring something homemade, like a cookie, bar, or coffee cake
> but not the same old choc. chip or sugar cookies. As far as I know, no
> ingredients are off limits to anyone and I'd like something fairly
> simple (hour or two tops), as I'll have to bake on a work night..(ACK!)
>
> Thanks for the help!

A fruit cobbler. That was a standard I would make for potlucks. Goes
over well with just about everyone. They are quick to make - definitely
under two hours.

SD