Dessert Ideas wanted

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by TopKat, Mar 20, 2006.

  1. TopKat

    TopKat Guest

    I read this group alot and I am hoping to get some good suggestions on
    what to bring for a potluck at work.
    I'm responsible for a dessert, there are about 20 people who will be
    attending, and we have a fridge to keep it in (if necessary).

    Thanks RFC'ers for any ideas!

    Tags:

  2. jake

    jake Guest

    TopKat wrote:

    > I read this group alot and I am hoping to get some good suggestions on
    > what to bring for a potluck at work.
    > I'm responsible for a dessert, there are about 20 people who will be
    > attending, and we have a fridge to keep it in (if necessary).
    >
    > Thanks RFC'ers for any ideas!

    There are so many options that it would help if you specified your
    question. What desserts are you considereing? Do you haev any favories
    that you would like to have at the potluck? Are there any ingrediens
    that are off limits? How difficult can the recipe be, how much time do
    you want ot put into this?

  3. TopKat wrote:
    > I read this group alot and I am hoping to get some good suggestions on
    > what to bring for a potluck at work.
    > I'm responsible for a dessert, there are about 20 people who will be
    > attending, and we have a fridge to keep it in (if necessary).

    Bars or cookies of some sort. These can be served on a single platter,
    don't need refrigerator space (others will need it more), can be eaten
    as finger food with just a napkin (saves on clean-up when you'll already
    be using plenty of plates) and store well if they're not all eaten (so
    you can bring extra and not worry so much about bringing exactly the
    right amount).

    I recommend a variety. If you're up to this much baking, bring
    something chocolate (brownies) and something not too sweet (I've posted
    before a nut cookie recipe that's sweetened with maple syrup and could
    do so again), something with a lemon or fruit flavor, etc. If you want
    to impress the hell out of people, bring a big bowl of stemmed washed
    strawberries (or other fruit that looks good at the market) and serve
    them plain in the bowl.

    --Lia

  4. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    TopKat wrote:

    > I read this group alot and I am hoping to get some good suggestions on
    > what to bring for a potluck at work.
    > I'm responsible for a dessert, there are about 20 people who will be
    > attending, and we have a fridge to keep it in (if necessary).
    >
    > Thanks RFC'ers for any ideas!

    Easy Fruit Pie
    Unroll a sheet of puff pastry. Spread pie filling (I use homemade apple
    pie filling, but any fruit pie filling would work) in the centre of the
    puff pastry sheet leaving about an 1 1/2" without filling around the
    pastry. Fold the plain pastry up and over the filling creating a frame.
    Bake at 375 F until the pastry is golden brown. This is good served
    either hot or cold. It's nice with a little whipped cream. It looks
    like you did a lot of work too. For 20 people I would make at least 2. HTH

  5. Jude

    Jude Guest

    It's spring. Make Barb's Rhubarb Custard Cake.

  6. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "TopKat" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]
    >I read this group alot and I am hoping to get some good suggestions on
    > what to bring for a potluck at work.
    > I'm responsible for a dessert, there are about 20 people who will be
    > attending, and we have a fridge to keep it in (if necessary).
    >
    > Thanks RFC'ers for any ideas!

    What about a fruit tarte with custard and jelly over? it's very springly :)
    You make a base of short pastry and you fill it with custard; over custard
    you put slices of kiwies, bananas, strawberries etc and at the end jelly.

    --
    Cheers
    Pandora

  7. jake wrote:

    > TopKat wrote:
    >
    > > I read this group alot and I am hoping to get some good suggestions

    > on
    > > what to bring for a potluck at work.
    > > I'm responsible for a dessert, there are about 20 people who will be

    > > attending, and we have a fridge to keep it in (if necessary).
    > >
    > > Thanks RFC'ers for any ideas!

    > There are so many options that it would help if you specified your
    > question. What desserts are you considereing? Do you haev any favories
    >
    > that you would like to have at the potluck? Are there any ingrediens
    > that are off limits? How difficult can the recipe be, how much time do
    >
    > you want ot put into this?

    All very good points that i wholly endorse. However i have no problem
    with just mentioning "Fraises Sarah Bernhardt" from Escoffiers Guide
    Culinaire.

    It is a base of vanilla ice cream with chunks of fresh pineapple and a
    pure of strawberries with macerated chopped strawberries and this all
    topped off with a specific type of flavoured whipped cream "Frangipani".
    The strawberry puree is made with a fruit flavoured liquor.

    I also sometimes make a chocolate torte that is only eggs, butter and
    chocolate. Though a cup of port reduced to a few tbs. is a good
    addition. Googeling my name, in the google 'group' search, Joseph
    Littleshoes and either of these deserts (midnight torte for the
    chocolate torte) will produce several posts i have made about these
    desserts, including the full recipes for each.
    ---
    JL

  8. TopKat

    TopKat Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > TopKat wrote:
    >
    > > I read this group alot and I am hoping to get some good suggestions on
    > > what to bring for a potluck at work.
    > > I'm responsible for a dessert, there are about 20 people who will be
    > > attending, and we have a fridge to keep it in (if necessary).
    > >
    > > Thanks RFC'ers for any ideas!

    > There are so many options that it would help if you specified your
    > question. What desserts are you considereing? Do you haev any favories
    > that you would like to have at the potluck? Are there any ingrediens
    > that are off limits? How difficult can the recipe be, how much time do
    > you want ot put into this?

    I can cook, although I consider myself a complete and utter novice :)

    I want to bring something homemade, like a cookie, bar, or coffee cake
    but not the same old choc. chip or sugar cookies. As far as I know, no
    ingredients are off limits to anyone and I'd like something fairly
    simple (hour or two tops), as I'll have to bake on a work night..(ACK!)

    Thanks for the help!

  9. Ward Abbott

    Ward Abbott Guest

    On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 22:50:43 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >All very good points that i wholly endorse.

    <pretension snipped>

    Since you are doing a potluck at work...I doubt that +/- 1% of the
    workforce will be impressed with anything other than a cobbler.

    A long standing rule about potlucks.....10% of the people will eat 90%
    of the food.

    @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    Apple Nut Cobbler

    desserts, fruits, pies

    1/2 cup almonds, sliced & toasted
    6 medium granny smith apples
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 cup flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    5 1/3 tablespoon butter
    1/3 cup milk
    1 egg wash

    Preheat oven to 350F.

    Cut apples into 8 wedges. Toss apples with 1/4 cup sugar. Place apples
    in 2
    quart baking dish. Spread out into even layer in pan.

    In food processor, blend flour remaining 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder
    and
    salt. Add butter to flour. Process until completely blended and
    mixture
    resembles coarse meal. Pour flour mixture into bowl. Add milk. Blend
    just
    until milk is absorbed. Add more flour if necessary. Gather into a
    ball.

    On lightly floured board, roll dough out into a shape that will cover
    the
    fruit. Carefully place rolled out dough over fruit in baking dish.
    Tuck in
    edges. Brush with egg wash. Top with toasted almonds.

    Bake on lowest oven rack for 45 to 50 minutes or until apples are
    tender
    and topping golden brown. Cool on rack about 15 minutes before
    serving.

    Yield: 6 servings

    @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    Blueberry Cobbler

    desserts, fruits, pies

    1/2 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    4 cup blueberries
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    ----BISCUIT TOPPING----
    1 cup flour
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 tablespoon shortening
    1/2 cup milk

    Heat oven to 400F.

    Blend 1/2 cup sugar and the cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Stir in
    blueberries and lemon juice. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture
    thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute. Pour into an ungreased 2
    quart casserole. Keep fruit mixture hot in oven while preparing
    biscuit topping.

    Measure flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, the baking powder and salt into
    bowl. Add shortening and milk. Cut through shortening six times. Mix
    until dough forms a ball. Drop dough by 6 spoonfuls onto hot fruit.

    Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until biscuit topping is golden brown.
    Variations:

    Fresh Cherry Cobbler: Substitute 4 cups pitted fresh red tart
    cherries for the blueberries. Increase sugar in fruit mixture to 1
    1/4 cup, cornstarch to 3 tablespoons and substitute 1/4 teaspoon
    almond extract for the lemon juice.

    Fresh Peach Cobbler: Substitute 4 cups sliced fresh peeled peaches
    for the blueberries and add 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon to the
    sugar-cornstarch mixture.

    Yield: 6 servings

    @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    Peach Cobbler

    desserts, fruits, pies

    1/2 cup butter
    1 cup flour
    2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup milk
    16 oz peaches

    Fresh peeled peaches need enough juice (add a little water if
    necessary) to
    keep the cobbler from being too dry.

    Preheat oven to 375F.

    Melt butter in deep baking dish. Mix flour, sugar, salt and baking
    powder.
    Add milk to dry ingredients and mix well. Pour mixture over melted
    butter.
    Add peaches on top of batter, but do not stir.

    Bake until golden brown on top.

    Yield: 8 servings

    The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
    Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures
    may not be consistent with what you know to be true.

    As with any recipe, you may find your personal
    intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!

  10. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "TopKat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I read this group alot and I am hoping to get some good suggestions on
    > what to bring for a potluck at work.
    > I'm responsible for a dessert, there are about 20 people who will be
    > attending, and we have a fridge to keep it in (if necessary).
    >
    > Thanks RFC'ers for any ideas!

    I think something like Tiramisu or a trifle would work well. Both are pretty easy,
    look impressive, and serve alot :)
    I've posted my recipe for tiramisu numerous times, you can google it.
    I made a trifle for an anniversary party recently too that was a hit. I made a pastry
    cream (milk, cream, egg yolks, vanilla bean, flour), and whisked into some softened
    mascarpone cheese. I layered slices of a marble angel food cake with the cream and
    sliced fresh strawberries. Then I pureed some more strawberries and some raspberries
    and a few blackberries (the color was awesome!) and drizzled that over the top.
    Everyone loved it and it was an easy dessert to make. My daughter thought chocolate
    was missing, but that's because she IS my daughter! lol

    kimberly

  11. TopKat <[email protected]> wrote in news:MPG.1e884d59d858ced1989680
    @news.comcast.net:

    > I read this group alot and I am hoping to get some good suggestions on
    > what to bring for a potluck at work.
    > I'm responsible for a dessert, there are about 20 people who will be
    > attending, and we have a fridge to keep it in (if necessary).

    Make a crisp using canned whole cranberries. Warm in microwave before
    serving and serve with sour cream. The mixture of tart cranberries, with
    sugar and butter and sour cream is interesting. This is also incredibly
    easy.

    --

    Charles
    The significant problems we face cannot be solved

  12. sf

    sf Guest

    On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 03:50:23 GMT, Charles Quinn wrote:

    > Make a crisp using canned whole cranberries.

    You're making it sound like canned cherries. Do you mean cranberry
    "sauce"?

  13. sf <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 03:50:23 GMT, Charles Quinn wrote:
    >
    >> Make a crisp using canned whole cranberries.

    > You're making it sound like canned cherries. Do you mean cranberry
    > "sauce"?

    Yes.

    --

    Charles
    The significant problems we face cannot be solved
    at the same level of thinking we were at when we
    created them. Albert Einstein

  14. On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 05:26:20 -0500, TopKat <[email protected]>
    rummaged among random neurons and opined:

    >I read this group alot and I am hoping to get some good suggestions on
    >what to bring for a potluck at work.
    >I'm responsible for a dessert, there are about 20 people who will be
    >attending, and we have a fridge to keep it in (if necessary).
    >
    >Thanks RFC'ers for any ideas!

    Easiest thing in the world:

    @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    Heath Bar Cake

    desserts

    2 cups brown sugar
    2 cups flour; sifted
    1/2 cup butter
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 egg
    1 cup milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 cup pecans; chopped
    6 Heath Candy Bars; chopped

    Mix the sugar and flour and then cut in the butter. Reserve 1 cup for
    the topping. Add egg, milk, baking soda and vanilla to the remaining
    crumbs and beat well. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Sprinkle
    top with the nuts, candy and reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 350° F
    for 35 minutes. Cut into bars.

    Ladle Whiskey Butter Sauce over individual servings.

    @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    Whiskey Butter Sauce

    desserts

    4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
    1/3 cup sugar
    1 large egg
    1/2 tablespoon very hot water
    1/4 cup heavy cream
    1/4 cup bourbon whiskey

    Melt the butter in the top of a double boiler set over gently
    simmering water. Beat the sugar and egg in a small bowl until blended.
    Stir the egg mixture into the butter. Add the hot water and stir until
    the mixture coats the back of a spoon, about 7 minutes. Remove from
    the double boiler and let cool to room temperature. Stir in the cream
    and whiskey.

    Contributor: New Tastes from Texas

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    "Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
    classed as cannybals."

    Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

  15. SD

    SD Guest

    TopKat wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    > > TopKat wrote:
    > >
    > > > I read this group alot and I am hoping to get some good suggestions on
    > > > what to bring for a potluck at work.
    > > > I'm responsible for a dessert, there are about 20 people who will be
    > > > attending, and we have a fridge to keep it in (if necessary).
    > > >
    > > > Thanks RFC'ers for any ideas!

    > > There are so many options that it would help if you specified your
    > > question. What desserts are you considereing? Do you haev any favories
    > > that you would like to have at the potluck? Are there any ingrediens
    > > that are off limits? How difficult can the recipe be, how much time do
    > > you want ot put into this?
    > >

    > I can cook, although I consider myself a complete and utter novice :)
    >
    > I want to bring something homemade, like a cookie, bar, or coffee cake
    > but not the same old choc. chip or sugar cookies. As far as I know, no
    > ingredients are off limits to anyone and I'd like something fairly
    > simple (hour or two tops), as I'll have to bake on a work night..(ACK!)
    >
    > Thanks for the help!

    A fruit cobbler. That was a standard I would make for potlucks. Goes
    over well with just about everyone. They are quick to make - definitely
    under two hours.

    SD