Detached Water Bottle Bushing?!?!

beels99

Apr 12, 2004
Short Story...

The threaded bushing to mount my waterbottle has detached from my frame. I assume there really is no way to fix this. Is this something that can be fixed?

Long Story...

So after approximately a year and a half of riding my cage started to become loose and wobbled. So i proceeded to tighten the bolts. Top one tightened fine, but the bottom one did not seem to tighten all the way, and in the process I stripped the top part of the screw. It never seemed to be tight all the way, and this happened quite a while ago. Just recently on a ride it was really irritatingly wobbly and i could not tighten it at all and so i decided to try to take it out. No luck. It was so wobbly i decided i'll just cut off the 7 dollar cage and worry about it later, riding beckoned. So here I am stuck with a little piece of cage and no way to get it out. Spins freely in either direction, and is loose.

Any thoughts?
n1254330101_30226078_9737.jpg

I would take a fibre cut off wheel in a die grinder and carefully cuy off the screw head. Next cut off the top of the boss and let the rest fall into the frame. Remove the bottom bracket to remove the debris. Get a threaded insert and install it in the frame hole.

beels99 said:
... Any thoughts?...
A long time ago I worked in a bike shop and we had a tool for installing water bottle mounts. It was a lot like a pop rivet tool, you'd drill an appropriately sized hole, insert a bottle mount attached to the rivet tool, squeeze hard and the shell of the threaded mount would expand and fix the mount into the frame. I suspect such tools still exist and your LBS might have one. If so, they'll drill out the old mount and swage a new one in its place. Try calling some local shops and see if they can help you.

-Dave

its nice if you have the tool but you can also use a regular hub and a quick release to expand a pem nut. as an earlier poster noted, for this the most difficult step is going to be removing whats already there.

--brett