Detailed Frame Geometry??

jonnydubaya

Mar 19, 2005
Hello, I about to start designing myself a bike frame...to be made out of Carbon Fiber. I am curious if there is a website where I can determine the ideal measurments of the bike in relation to my body measurements (inseam, arm length, torso length etc.) Also, I know the alignment of the front deraileur (sp?) is very important for it to function properly, how exactally do I determine where the deraileur and mount should go so that the bike will shift properly? If anyone has any other advice for me...things you like about frames you have ridden or things you didn't like, please post.

Also, anyone know where I could buy frame parts? Ie, Head tube only, bottom bracket portion of the frame??

There are a lot of online fit calculators. www.coloradocyclist.com has a good one. How do you plan on building your frame? www. graphitestore.com has pretty good prices on carbon tubing. Joining the tubes requires either welding lugs out of aluminum or mitering the tube ends and wrapping the joints with carbon tape. www.poweroncycling.com has some assorted frame building parts. Most things like head tube and bb inserts are pretty easy to fabricate if you have access to a lathe.

jonnydubaya said:
Hello, I about to start designing myself a bike frame...to be made out of Carbon Fiber. I am curious if there is a website where I can determine the ideal measurments of the bike in relation to my body measurements (inseam, arm length, torso length etc.) Also, I know the alignment of the front deraileur (sp?) is very important for it to function properly, how exactally do I determine where the deraileur and mount should go so that the bike will shift properly? If anyone has any other advice for me...things you like about frames you have ridden or things you didn't like, please post.

Also, anyone know where I could buy frame parts? Ie, Head tube only, bottom bracket portion of the frame??
you could just buy a frame kit such as here http://www.bringheli.com/dedacciai.html
click on the DCS logo. If you don't like Dedacciai, go to Bikelugs.com Kirk Pacenti sells the columbus Mecano frame set. OR do a google search for Damon Rinard (sp?). He built his own carbon frame.;)

Here is the link for Damon Rinard http://www.damonrinard.com/carbon_fiber.htm

I hope all this helps.