Detailed L2B route?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by David Brown :O\, Mar 15, 2004.

  1. Does anyone have a detailed route plan of the L2B cycle
    ride? I've seen the one on Edinburgh cycle's site but need
    more detailed. Basically I need the names of this pub for
    one of our many pub meeting points. About a quarter of the
    way in, the route sort of opens out into what looks like
    common land and there is a pub near a small lake that is
    set off the main run by 50 yards or so to the right.
    Everybody sits outside the front in quite a big
    area/carpark, any ideas?

    Thank you

    --
    David Brown :eek:)
    http://kitemap.co.uk/stack

    Tags:

  2. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 12:45:09 +0000 (UTC), "David Brown :eek:\)"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does anyone have a detailed route plan of the L2B cycle
    >ride? I've seen the one on Edinburgh cycle's site but need
    >more detailed. Basically I need the names of this pub for
    >one of our many pub meeting points. About a quarter of the
    >way in, the route sort of opens out into what looks like
    >common land and there is a pub near a small lake that is
    >set off the main run by 50 yards or so to the right.
    >Everybody sits outside the front in quite a big
    >area/carpark, any ideas?

    The Inn on the Pond, Nutfield. Just north of the A25, next
    to Redhill.

    Tim

  3. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

  4. Martinm

    Martinm Guest

    "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > David Brown :eek:) wrote:
    > > So that makes this map wrong then?? http://www.edinburg-
    > > hbicycle.com/routes/route_Lon_bri.html
    > >
    > > which doesn't go down this road
    > >
    > http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=530262&y=151457&-
    > z=1&sv=530250,151250
    > > &st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf
    >
    > It says on the EBC sute that it is an alternative to the
    > BHF L2B route, not the BHF L2B route

    It's broadly similar, the actual L2B crosses under the M23
    just by the last L of Redhill, and takes the main road from
    Smallfield as the one shown on the map is unsuitable for
    that volume of bike traffic. The route shown from
    Bletchingly to Outwood is a slog! BTW I have avioded
    Nutfield Marsh completely in the past, going the other side
    of the M23 up to the A25 as very long queues are common at
    the A25, although the last few times I had no problem ;-)

  5. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    MartinM wrote:

    > It's broadly similar, the actual L2B crosses under the M23
    > just by the last L of Redhill, and takes the main road
    > from Smallfield as the one shown on the map is unsuitable
    > for that volume of bike traffic. The route shown from
    > Bletchingly to Outwood is a slog! BTW I have avioded
    > Nutfield Marsh completely in the past, going the other
    > side of the M23 up to the A25 as very long queues are
    > common at the A25, although the last few times I had no
    > problem ;-)

    Somewhere I have a card that I was given when I did L2B
    when I lived in London. It will have been about 1988. Has
    the 'Official Route' changed much since then ? I shall
    dig it out.

  6. > Somewhere I have a card that I was given when I did L2B
    > when I lived in London. It will have been about 1988. Has
    > the 'Official Route' changed
    much
    > since then ? I shall dig it out.

    If you could then I'll try and confirm the route on here
    and draw up a detailed map with all pub stops and put it up
    on line :eek:)

    Thank you

    David :eek:)

  7. This is the reply I got from bike events : "Dear David,
    further to your enquiry at Bike Events, the British Heart
    Foundation are very protective about the London to Brighton
    route which they are unwilling to send out as a printed
    document or computer file. Sorry about that."

    Why on Earth not?!?!?!?

    --
    David Brown :eek:)
    http://kitemap.co.uk/stack

  8. Martinm

    Martinm Guest

    "David Brown :eek:\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Somewhere I have a card that I was given when I did L2B
    > > when I lived in London. It will have been about 1988.
    > > Has the 'Official Route' changed
    > much
    > > since then

    I have ridden it 10 times since 1991, and the only major
    changes have been:
    >started from Oaks Pk Sutton 1991,a disaster due to
    >support vehicles
    parked on route, went back to Clapham the year after
    >diverted from Ditchling Rd to Lewes Rd in Brighton since
    >1993 diverted through Haywards Heath 2001 due to foot
    >and mouth

    other than that it has always been: Clapham-Wandsworth Common-
    Tooting Bec- Mitcham-Carshalton Ponds-Oaks Park-Woodmansterne-
    How Lane-Chipstead-Fanny's Farm shop- under M25-Merstham-
    Nutfield Marsh- Dog and Duck-Smallfield- Effingham Park hotel-
    Dukes Head roundabout over A264-Turner's Hill-Ardingly-
    Stone Cross-Plummerden lane-Walstead-Over A272-Slugwash Lane-
    Wivelsfield Green- Ditchling Common-Ditchling-The hill that
    shall not be named- Brighton. Over the years a lot more of
    it has been bikes only and one way, but apart from that much
    the same;-)

  9. Martinm

    Martinm Guest

    [email protected] (MartinM) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "David Brown :eek:\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Somewhere I have a card that I was given when I did
    > > > L2B when I lived in London. It will have been about
    > > > 1988. Has the 'Official Route' changed
    > much
    > > > since then

    Sorry, missed the important bit, pubs!

    Hungry Horse just before How Lane (I assume it will be not
    be opening time much before this one anyway)
    Railway/Chequers in Merstham Inn on the Pond, Nutfield Marsh
    the Crown on the A25 Dog and Duck,Outwood(ish)
    Hedgehog,Copthorne Dukes Head A264 The _secret_ Red Lion,
    Turners Hill on the hill all the cars go up (my favourite,
    yes you are allowed to ride up to it)and also the Crown at
    the top The White Harte, on the Road to Ardingly The
    Gardeners, Ardingly showground then a bit of a dry stretch,
    but can divert to the Plough, Plumpton green Two in
    Ditchling and of course the free one at the top of The hill
    which shall not be named ;-)

  10. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On 18 Mar 2004 00:14:13 -0800, [email protected] (MartinM) wrote:

    >[email protected] (MartinM) wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> "David Brown :eek:\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:<[email protected]>...
    >> much
    >
    >Sorry, missed the important bit, pubs!
    >
    >Hungry Horse just before How Lane (I assume it will be not
    >be opening time much before this one anyway)
    >Railway/Chequers in Merstham

    Feathers, not Chequers. That is if we're on the A23.

    Tim

  11. Martinm

    Martinm Guest

    "David Brown :eek:\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm pretty sure I've gone wrong in a couple of places here
    > but is this the route as far as you know?
    > http://www.kitemap.co.uk/l2b2.GIF
    >
    > Thank you

    More or less: It goes over the M25 on the A23 at Merstham,
    down to the main road (B2037) at Smallfield, avoids
    Lindfield completely (goes through the letter e) and uses
    the Lewes Road from Coldean ;-)

  12. Is this the one?
    http://kitemap.co.uk/L2B

    Which way does it go in Brighton now? I know it's varied a
    few times but the last time I did it I think it went down
    the main road as above.

    Thank you for your input

    --
    David Brown :eek:)
    http://kitemap.co.uk/stack

  13. Martinm

    Martinm Guest

    "David Brown :eek:\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Is this the one? http://kitemap.co.uk/L2B
    >
    > Which way does it go in Brighton now? I know it's varied a
    > few times but the last time I did it I think it went down
    > the main road as above.
    >
    > Thank you for your input

    It now goes down to the old A27 at Coldean (52 mph down
    the hill!, goes under the bypass on the way down) and
    along the Lewes Rd.