Detailed L2B route?

David Brown :O\

Guest
Does anyone have a detailed route plan of the L2B cycle
ride? I've seen the one on Edinburgh cycle's site but need
more detailed. Basically I need the names of this pub for
one of our many pub meeting points. About a quarter of the
way in, the route sort of opens out into what looks like
common land and there is a pub near a small lake that is
set off the main run by 50 yards or so to the right.
Everybody sits outside the front in quite a big
area/carpark, any ideas?

Thank you

--
David Brown :eek:)
http://kitemap.co.uk/stack

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 12:45:09 +0000 (UTC), "David Brown :eek:\)"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Does anyone have a detailed route plan of the L2B cycle
>ride? I've seen the one on Edinburgh cycle's site but need
>more detailed. Basically I need the names of this pub for
>one of our many pub meeting points. About a quarter of the
>way in, the route sort of opens out into what looks like
>common land and there is a pub near a small lake that is
>set off the main run by 50 yards or so to the right.
>Everybody sits outside the front in quite a big
>area/carpark, any ideas?

The Inn on the Pond, Nutfield. Just north of the A25, next
to Redhill.

Tim

"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> David Brown :eek:) wrote:
> > So that makes this map wrong then?? http://www.edinburg-
> > hbicycle.com/routes/route_Lon_bri.html
> >
> > which doesn't go down this road
> >
> http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=530262&y=151457&-
> z=1&sv=530250,151250
> > &st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf
>
> It says on the EBC sute that it is an alternative to the
> BHF L2B route, not the BHF L2B route

It's broadly similar, the actual L2B crosses under the M23
just by the last L of Redhill, and takes the main road from
Smallfield as the one shown on the map is unsuitable for
that volume of bike traffic. The route shown from
Bletchingly to Outwood is a slog! BTW I have avioded
Nutfield Marsh completely in the past, going the other side
of the M23 up to the A25 as very long queues are common at
the A25, although the last few times I had no problem ;-)

MartinM wrote:

> It's broadly similar, the actual L2B crosses under the M23
> just by the last L of Redhill, and takes the main road
> from Smallfield as the one shown on the map is unsuitable
> for that volume of bike traffic. The route shown from
> Bletchingly to Outwood is a slog! BTW I have avioded
> Nutfield Marsh completely in the past, going the other
> side of the M23 up to the A25 as very long queues are
> common at the A25, although the last few times I had no
> problem ;-)

Somewhere I have a card that I was given when I did L2B
when I lived in London. It will have been about 1988. Has
the 'Official Route' changed much since then ? I shall
dig it out.

> Somewhere I have a card that I was given when I did L2B
> when I lived in London. It will have been about 1988. Has
> the 'Official Route' changed
much
> since then ? I shall dig it out.

If you could then I'll try and confirm the route on here
and draw up a detailed map with all pub stops and put it up
on line :eek:)

Thank you

David :eek:)

This is the reply I got from bike events : "Dear David,
further to your enquiry at Bike Events, the British Heart
Foundation are very protective about the London to Brighton
route which they are unwilling to send out as a printed
document or computer file. Sorry about that."

Why on Earth not?!?!?!?

--
David Brown :eek:)
http://kitemap.co.uk/stack

"David Brown :eek:\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Somewhere I have a card that I was given when I did L2B
> > when I lived in London. It will have been about 1988.
> > Has the 'Official Route' changed
> much
> > since then

I have ridden it 10 times since 1991, and the only major
changes have been:
>started from Oaks Pk Sutton 1991,a disaster due to
>support vehicles
parked on route, went back to Clapham the year after
>diverted from Ditchling Rd to Lewes Rd in Brighton since
>1993 diverted through Haywards Heath 2001 due to foot
>and mouth

other than that it has always been: Clapham-Wandsworth Common-
Tooting Bec- Mitcham-Carshalton Ponds-Oaks Park-Woodmansterne-
How Lane-Chipstead-*****'s Farm shop- under M25-Merstham-
Nutfield Marsh- Dog and Duck-Smallfield- Effingham Park hotel-
Dukes Head roundabout over A264-Turner's Hill-Ardingly-
Stone Cross-Plummerden lane-Walstead-Over A272-Slugwash Lane-
Wivelsfield Green- Ditchling Common-Ditchling-The hill that
shall not be named- Brighton. Over the years a lot more of
it has been bikes only and one way, but apart from that much
the same;-)

[email protected] (MartinM) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "David Brown :eek:\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Somewhere I have a card that I was given when I did
> > > L2B when I lived in London. It will have been about
> > > 1988. Has the 'Official Route' changed
> much
> > > since then

Sorry, missed the important bit, pubs!

Hungry Horse just before How Lane (I assume it will be not
be opening time much before this one anyway)
Railway/Chequers in Merstham Inn on the Pond, Nutfield Marsh
the Crown on the A25 Dog and Duck,Outwood(ish)
Hedgehog,Copthorne Dukes Head A264 The _secret_ Red Lion,
Turners Hill on the hill all the cars go up (my favourite,
yes you are allowed to ride up to it)and also the Crown at
the top The White Harte, on the Road to Ardingly The
Gardeners, Ardingly showground then a bit of a dry stretch,
but can divert to the Plough, Plumpton green Two in
Ditchling and of course the free one at the top of The hill
which shall not be named ;-)

On 18 Mar 2004 00:14:13 -0800, [email protected] (MartinM) wrote:

>[email protected] (MartinM) wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> "David Brown :eek:\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:<[email protected]>...
>> much
>
>Sorry, missed the important bit, pubs!
>
>Hungry Horse just before How Lane (I assume it will be not
>be opening time much before this one anyway)
>Railway/Chequers in Merstham

Feathers, not Chequers. That is if we're on the A23.

Tim

"David Brown :eek:\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm pretty sure I've gone wrong in a couple of places here
> but is this the route as far as you know?
> http://www.kitemap.co.uk/l2b2.GIF
>
> Thank you

More or less: It goes over the M25 on the A23 at Merstham,
down to the main road (B2037) at Smallfield, avoids
Lindfield completely (goes through the letter e) and uses
the Lewes Road from Coldean ;-)

"David Brown :eek:\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Is this the one? http://kitemap.co.uk/L2B
>
> Which way does it go in Brighton now? I know it's varied a
> few times but the last time I did it I think it went down
> the main road as above.
>
> Thank you for your input

It now goes down to the old A27 at Coldean (52 mph down
the hill!, goes under the bypass on the way down) and
along the Lewes Rd.