Detailed TDF stage maps?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by hippy, Jul 4, 2005.

  1. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    Lets just say that a certain Aussie is a little peeved that he buggers off to Europe at the same time SBS finally provides live coverage and to 'get a little back' this Aussie wants to see some of the tour live, like really live, like - stick an umbrella in Lance's spokes kinda live... LIVE!!!

    Where does this Aussie find DETAILED maps of each stage start/finish. ie. I'm talking about which road do I need to be on to watch the sprint. All I can find is maps of the route with key towns - but I need street level maps??

    I'm thinking of leaving the bike in storage in Haarlem or Amsterdam and catching a train to Paris and on to one of the northern stages (6 Troyes-Nancy, 7 Luneville-Karlsruhe, 8 Pforzheim-Gerardmer). There is a bit of accomodation out there but I might just have to buy lots of coffee and wander the streets all night.. no change, really.. :p

    No, I don't want to take my bike and tent, etc. I've read a bit on taking bikes and I don't wanna get stuck having to box it for the return trip, etc. There's no fscking way I'm pulling the rack and guards off so I'm travelling sans-bike for this one, perhaps hiring one there?

    Was going to book a room ahead, but I think it will be easier to simply try and find the stage, watch the race and THEN worry about accom. or returning to Holland..

    Any suggestions welcomed, except the ones from Dutchy telling me to jump in a lake, etc.. :p Your tent made it over here.. what's your excuse?! :p

    hippy

    Tags:

  2. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    "The Plan"
    Pay and collect passport from campsite Tue night, paying for Tue in advance.
    Packup tent early Wed morning.
    Store bike and gear at Haarlem station (>6am)
    Haarlem to Amsterdam Centraal (20min)
    'dam "Thalys" Train to Paris (dunno if I need to book this)
    Paris to Montargis (1-2hr, race finish 17:25)
    Montargis to Paris (1-2hr)
    (overnight at Montargis or Paris?)
    Paris to Nancy (3-4hr, race finish 17:18)
    (overnight in Nancy hehe)
    Nancy to Luneville (30min, race start 12:08)
    Luneville to Gerardmer (no timetable?? impossible?? perhaps skip luneville and go straight to gerardmer where there is a finish AND start)
    (overnight in Luneville or Gerardmer?)
    Gerardmer (start 12:13)
    Return to Haarlem.. alive, if possible?

    This sounds just complex and stupid enough that it will either work and I'll get to see heaps of Le Tour, or I'll miss one connection and spend a week sleeping on French streets with the only lycra in view being that worn by the 73yo Madame who 'takes me in' to nurse me back to health..

    Feel free to shoot holes in my "plan". I have no accom booked and what I saw was 95% booked out and I'm not taking a tent. If the weather is like it is now.. I'm in for a rough week :S :(

    Maybe I should just find a pub here that has pay-tv coverage of le tour? :)

    hippy
    "Mmm I can taste Madame's chicken broth now.."

  3. Ray

    Ray Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, hippy.1rnre2
    @no-mx.forums.cyclingforums.com says...

    > hippy Wrote:
    > > Where does this Aussie find DETAILED maps of each stage start/finish.
    > > ie. I'm talking about which road do I need to be on to watch the
    > > sprint. All I can find is maps of the route with key towns - but I need
    > > street level maps??

    > "The Plan"
    > Pay and collect passport from campsite Tue night, paying for Tue in
    > advance.
    > Packup tent early Wed morning.
    > Store bike and gear at Haarlem station (>6am)
    > Haarlem to Amsterdam Centraal (20min)
    > 'dam "Thalys" Train to Paris (dunno if I need to book this)
    > Paris to Montargis (1-2hr, race finish 17:25)
    > Montargis to Paris (1-2hr)
    > (overnight at Montargis or Paris?)
    > Paris to Nancy (3-4hr, race finish 17:18)
    > (overnight in Nancy hehe)
    > Nancy to Luneville (30min, race start 12:08)
    > Luneville to Gerardmer (no timetable?? impossible?? perhaps skip
    > luneville and go straight to gerardmer where there is a finish AND
    > start)
    > (overnight in Luneville or Gerardmer?)
    > Gerardmer (start 12:13)
    > Return to Haarlem.. alive, if possible?
    >
    > This sounds just complex and stupid enough that it will either work and
    > I'll get to see heaps of Le Tour, or I'll miss one connection and spend
    > a week sleeping on French streets with the only lycra in view being
    > that worn by the 73yo Madame who 'takes me in' to nurse me back to
    > health..
    >
    > Feel free to shoot holes in my "plan". I have no accom booked and what
    > I saw was 95% booked out and I'm not taking a tent. If the weather is
    > like it is now.. I'm in for a rough week :S :(
    >
    > Maybe I should just find a pub here that has pay-tv coverage of le
    > tour? :)
    >
    > hippy
    > "Mmm I can taste Madame's chicken broth now.."

    Tried to book a Dusseldorf to Paris ticket at short notice once (like 2
    days), getting on the Thalys at Koln. - they wanted 400 euro. ie ~700AUD
    Yeouchhh.

    Good luck doing it as a budget ride !

    Madame may take you in as your pimp to repay the fare, LOL.

    Cheers Ray

  4. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    go jump in a lake! oh, err, sorry :S

    excuse? well, i didnt feel we knew each other THAT well and i doubt we'd both fit! :rolleyes:

  5. hippy <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Where does this Aussie find DETAILED maps of each stage start/finish.
    > ie. I'm talking about which road do I need to be on to watch the
    > sprint. All I can find is maps of the route with key towns - but I need
    > street level maps??

    This is the best I could find

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2005//tour05/?id=stages

    Click on the stage for a map of the route, no road names but if you have
    a map you should be able to work it out roughly, then follow the crowds.

    Here's a few phrases that should get you by:

    Pate escargots soup de jour
    cordon bleu chic coiffure
    fait accompli maison
    creme de menthe Marcel Marceau
    meringue blancmange Bardot
    gauche gay Paris garcon
    gendarme agent provocateur
    eau de toilette voyeur
    au revoir deja vu
    carte blanche bidet croissant bourgeois
    c'est la vie abattoir
    bon voyage coup d'etat
    hors d'ouevres Peugeot faux pas
    Gerard Depardieux

    Lacoste penache papier mache
    en suite rue morgue yoplait
    Pepe La Pew soufflé
    en tous cas le Guy Forget
    Maurice Chevalier
    le Rainbow Warrior
    lingerie chocolat eclair
    avant garde Frigidaire
    fromage crouton Cointreau
    cherchez la femme boudoir je t'aime
    vol ou vent Jacques Cousteau
    joie de vive Plastic Bertrand
    le Coq Sportif penchant
    Henri Leconte

    --
    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

  6. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

    "hippy" wrote in message ...

    > Where does this Aussie find DETAILED maps of each stage start/finish.
    > ie. I'm talking about which road do I need to be on to watch the
    > sprint. All I can find is maps of the route with key towns - but I need
    > street level maps??

    If we knew, do you think we'd tell? We're all too full of jealousy and spite ;-)

    Parbs