Determing proper chain length

Bill Wellborn

Oct 8, 2003
I put a new cassette with a 34 tooth big gear on my bike and my chain is now too short. It binds up sometimes if I'm not careful and have it in the biggest chain wheel and the biggest cassette gear. The previous cassette big wheel was a 27. Should I just replace my old chain with one with 7 more teeth?

Originally posted by Bill Wellborn
I put a new cassette with a 34 tooth big gear on my bike and my chain is now too short. It binds up sometimes if I'm not careful and have it in the biggest chain wheel and the biggest cassette gear. The previous cassette big wheel was a 27. Should I just replace my old chain with one with 7 more teeth?

To determine proper chain length,wrap the new chain around your largest cog (34) and largest chain ring. (DO NOT thread through the rear Derailleur). Where the two ends would connect will be the correct length. BTW, have you determined if your rear Derailleur cage is large enough to handle a 34 tooth cog?

Originally posted by Cipher
To determine proper chain length,wrap the new chain around your largest cog (34) and largest chain ring. (DO NOT thread through the rear Derailleur). Where the two ends would connect will be the correct length. BTW, have you determined if your rear Derailleur cage is large enough to handle a 34 tooth cog?
Nope!! ...ya gotta pull it tight,see where it would connect,and then ADD 1". Also,cage length has notheng to do with large cog capacity. Short and long cage mtb derailers have the same 34 large cog speced capacity.Cage length is about ability to wrap chain.