Detraining dilemma

RJMang

Mar 28, 2022
I have a somewhat intense 7-day event this May: 375+ miles with 35,000+ feet of climbing. I’m 68, ride over 5,000 miles per year with more than 400,000 feet of annual gain (I’ve been at this level for several decades). So, this upcoming event would not normally be a concern. But it's in Europe, and I’ll be completely off the bike for 12 days traveling around before the event. 12 days of zero riding, which has me a bit concerned about my level of “detraining”, which seems to happen more quickly after 60 years old.

Any ideas on how I can keep my training level up with 12 days off the bike?

Robert

Hi Robert.
I’m sorry I didn’t see this earlier. How did the event go? How did you end up dealing with the 12 days no riding? Some quite significant physiological changes start to occur after 3 days off the bike, so you were definitely up against it with 12.

Reactions: steve
Hi Robert.
I’m sorry I didn’t see this earlier. How did the event go? How did you end up dealing with the 12 days no riding? Some quite significant physiological changes start to occur after 3 days off the bike, so you were definitely up against it with 12.
Well, the rides were a bit more than I thought: 10 rides, 500 miles, 53,000' of climbing. All my worries were for naught. I felt fine. It was great.