Detroit rider's death

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Fbicker, May 4, 2003.

  1. Fbicker

    Fbicker Guest

    I am sorry to report that Michael R Rabe of the Detroit area was killed while on his bike Friday
    evening. Mike was an announcer for many of the area's bike races, a participatein the Walden School
    of Cycling for many years , and a youth coach. He will be missed by our Detroit cycling community as
    well as in the other realms of our daily life.

    Tags:

  2. Jeff Potter

    Jeff Potter Guest

    Terrible news. He was also a steady, reliable elist and online info provider for
    Detroit-area/Wolverine news.

    --

    Jeff Potter [email protected] http://OutYourBackdoor.com -- a friendly ezine of modern
    folkways and culture revival...offering a line of alternative books and a world of bikes, boats,

  3. B Lafferty

    B Lafferty Guest

    Terrible news. Where in the Detroit area did the accident occur? As I recall the Wolverines ride out
    of Novi and from a school near Berverly(?).

    Brian Lafferty

    "Fbicker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am sorry to report that Michael R Rabe of the Detroit area was killed
    while
    > on his bike Friday evening. Mike was an announcer for many of the area's
    bike
    > races, a participatein the Walden School of Cycling for many years , and a youth coach. He will be
    > missed by our Detroit cycling community as well
    as in
    > the other realms of our daily life.

  4. Jeff Potter

    Jeff Potter Guest

    I found nothing online yet about the accident.

    It looks like he was 40+ Michigan cyclocross champ:

    http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/cyclocross.shtml

    Looks like his youngster did well at a recent Jr Cross Natls:

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2001/dec01/usnats/JPrabe.shtml

    --

    Jeff Potter [email protected] http://OutYourBackdoor.com -- a friendly ezine of modern
    folkways and culture revival...offering a line of alternative books and a world of bikes, boats,
    skis...plus shops for great sleeper books, videos and music ...plus nationwide "Off the Beaten Path"
    travel forums for local fun, bumperstickers and a new social magnet stickers! ...Holy Smokes!!!

  5. Kenbhart

    Kenbhart Guest

    From talking to the Hughes's, Mike was out testing his time trial bike on Friday after work, when
    the accident happened in Dearborn Heights.

    Everyone was wondering why he wasn't at the time trial Saturday morning. I have not seen anything
    listed in the local papers either.

    Yes, he was the current 40+ state cross champion. He was also one of the planners for the upcoming
    UCI cyclocross this fall in Michigan.

    Ken Hart

    from the Bloomer Park Velodrome e-list
    Dear Cycling Community,

    Usually you will hear from me for volunteering, unfortunately this is not the case.

    Many of you may have already heard by now but for those who have not, our own Ernie Harwell of the
    local bicycle racing circuit and Wolverine Vice President of Racing, Michael R Rabe was struck by a
    car while riding his bike and killed on Friday night.

    Like myself, many race fans were looking forward to hearing this years play-by-play for the 2nd
    year at the newly developed Velodrome At Bloomer park. Michael R's obvious knowledge of track
    racing made the races far more enjoyable and understandable. If it weren't for his explanations of
    the rules and tactics of the race, it would have been nothing more than just a bunch of bikes going
    around a track.

    Not only will that voice no longer be there this year but also lost will be a great amount of
    dedication to the sport. With his volunteering for many projects, from helping in the orchestration
    of the club jersey and designs to his officiating at most of the local races, Michael R always
    seemed to need more hours in a day. As you go about your life, in the future, please make time for
    at least just one more hour of volunteering for any cause in memory of Michael R's dedication.

    Mike's family has made arrangements and everything will take place on Tuesday. Visitation will be at
    3:30 p.m.with the service at 7 p.m. at the L.J. Griffin Funeral Home at 7707 Middlebelt, Westland.
    (It's just off the Ann Arbor Trail). Phone there is 734-522-9400. No memorial suggestions are known
    at this time.

    Also, on Tuesday please take just a moment of silence to represent that missing voice of racing.

    Call Dale or Chris Hughes for any more information that you might need at either of the numbers.
    248-961-3704 or 248-961-3705.

    Sincerely,

    Bill Windhorst Clinton River Rider & Velodrome Board Member

    | Ken B Hart @ aol.com |