Deutsche Telekom ends sponsorship

Bro Deal said:
When will Hincapie announce he is going to Astana?

I wonder how this works from a legal standpoint regarding the team riders and staff. They are truly farked when this happens this late in the year. The chance of finding another team is low. Contracts are supposed to be submitted to the UCI in just over two weeks. It seems like they would have a legal case against T-Mobile.

Who is on T Mobile these days? There have been so many changes over the last two years I have lost track of things. Hincapie. Rogers. Gerdemann.

What the hell does Rogers do? If he has any thoughts about winning the Tour, they are gone for next season. There is no way he can find a team that will support him. A single day rider like Hincapie can probably find a place for himself that will support his attempts at P-R and Flanders, but Rogers is buggered.
Time for the Australian goverment to step in through a quango like "Telstra" and do an Astana.

But unlikely considering a new goverment was elected a week ago.

Tim Lamkin said:
This is great news for them to pull out; a few more real big ones and cycling can die for a few years, get their **** together and start over.
Sad but probably true. Ultimately it will be the money that will cause changes.

2008 is looking to be a disaster. There are a lot more sponsors that are slated to leave. Then there is still the possibility that Astana will implode. How big would that be--to have T-Mob and Astana go?

Bro Deal said:
Sad but probably true. Ultimately it will be the money that will cause changes.

2008 is looking to be a disaster. There are a lot more sponsors that are slated to leave. Then there is still the possibility that Astana will implode. How big would that be--to have T-Mob and Astana go?
I think the odds on Astana imploding a higher than what they make out. I don't think they did their homework on what the sponsors ultimately wanted. Though the excuse thay give of not wanting to channel funds through Biver is plausible.

Some of the new reports imply that T-Mobile will continue to fund the team because they have a contract through 2010 but they do not want their brand name associated with the sport. You know things are bad when something like that happens. Ouch!

According to posters on other boards, T-Mobile bought out their contract and handed a large sum over to Stapleton; so there is no money problems for the team.

I wonder if Stapleton hit T-Mob with evidence of complicity in doping to increase the settlement.

Bro Deal said:
Some of the new reports imply that T-Mobile will continue to fund the team because they have a contract through 2010 but they do not want their brand name associated with the sport. You know things are bad when something like that happens. Ouch!
Maybe they'll do an Omega Pharm and change to one of their product names. A quick perusal of their US web-site brought forth the possibilities:

MyFaves

and

Familytime

But I don't know what the German plans are called.

jhuskey said:
Sometimes the truth is fatal. When it all come around, it is still just entertainment to those that watch.
"We have worked hard with the current team management to create a cleaner sport of cycling. We have now decided to put our money to other uses," Akhavan said.

What utter bullshite. T-Mobile wanted results, when it was revealed what that took, they want to slink away and act like they were trying to be part of the solution. Screw them! For my small tiny part, I will not be buying any T-Mobile services. While I loathe Armstrong because of who he is, for the most part I feel for the riders because they take the fall.

Where will Hincape go?

Bro Deal said:
2008 is looking to be a disaster.
You know Bro, I am not so sure about that. Most of the races will still be held, and because of the shake-up, we should be able to expect some surprise winners. I think the cycling will be good in the initial part of the season. Unfortunately, it will only take one thing, like Betini finally getting busted, to wipe race sponsors away....then we will be screwed....on 2nd thought, maybe you are right.

jhuskey said:
The media killed cycling in Germany. The teams,managers etc. gave them ammunition but the media fired the lethal bullet.
No surprise here!
Correct, most German media are not reporting about doping, they are campaigning...

thoughtforfood said:
You know Bro, I am not so sure about that. Most of the races will still be held, and because of the shake-up, we should be able to expect some surprise winners. I think the cycling will be good in the initial part of the season. Unfortunately, it will only take one thing, like Betini finally getting busted, to wipe race sponsors away....then we will be screwed....on 2nd thought, maybe you are right.
I was referring to the sponsors that are scheduled to end the sponsorship. Gerolsteiner, Lampre, etc.

As you say, though, the racing may very well be good. I think the doping situation is getting better, and the decrease in the outrageous, in your face doping creates more opportunities for more riders. Things are getting better when Voekler can win a ProTour event.

thoughtforfood said:
Unfortunately, it will only take one thing, like Betini finally getting busted, to wipe race sponsors away....then we will be screwed.....
No..after Bettini goes down....it still won't be screwed.....But then Evans goes down....and....it still isn't screwed.....then paparazzi sell pictures of McQuaid and Anne Gripper nude sun-bathing together in Greece.....then its screwed:D

PS. Actually that last event might be the best thing that could ever happen to cycling on second thoughts.

Team High Road ? So the team is staying together ? what a **** name..... so we got Slipstream and High Road competing against the might of astana.... thats night a fair fight...... Levi will win the Tour by 27 minutes ! I wonder what Jan thinks of all this.......
_____

Stapleton, the team's American manager, was brought on board earlier this season in a bid to rebuild the team from scratch, with emphasis on a zero tolerance anti-doping culture.

He will continue at the helm of Team High Road and said: "We hope to go forward independently with the team to achieve our goals of continued competitive success and being a leader in anti-doping efforts in professional cycling."

The Discovery team of Tour de France winner Alberto Contador disbanded in August after failing to find new sponsorship.

Cavendish and Wiggins both revealed recently that they would miss next year's Tour to concentrate on the 2008 Olympics but the news will still hit their preparations.

Wiggins and his former team Cofidis were thrown out of the Tour last year after one of the team, Italy's Cristian Moreni, failed a drugs test.

Bro Deal said:
I was referring to the sponsors that are scheduled to end the sponsorship. Gerolsteiner, Lampre, etc.

As you say, though, the racing may very well be good. I think the doping situation is getting better, and the decrease in the outrageous, in your face doping creates more opportunities for more riders. Things are getting better when Voekler can win a ProTour event.
Gerolsteiner
Lampre
FDJ
Cofidis
Credit Agricole
Quickstep
Davitamon/Predictor/Pharma

all contracts end this year.

whiteboytrash said:
Team High Road ? So the team is staying together ? what a **** name..... so we got Slipstream and High Road competing against the might of astana.... thats night a fair fight...... Levi will win the Tour by 27 minutes ! I wonder what Jan thinks of all this.......
_____

Stapleton, the team's American manager, was brought on board earlier this season in a bid to rebuild the team from scratch, with emphasis on a zero tolerance anti-doping culture.

He will continue at the helm of Team High Road and said: "We hope to go forward independently with the team to achieve our goals of continued competitive success and being a leader in anti-doping efforts in professional cycling."

The Discovery team of Tour de France winner Alberto Contador disbanded in August after failing to find new sponsorship.

Cavendish and Wiggins both revealed recently that they would miss next year's Tour to concentrate on the 2008 Olympics but the news will still hit their preparations.

Wiggins and his former team Cofidis were thrown out of the Tour last year after one of the team, Italy's Cristian Moreni, failed a drugs test.
I wonder if that's the Stapleton & Vaughter's plan, to lose by so many minutes so that everyone - even the USPS/Disco/Astana fans - starts looking even harder at the other guys.

earth_dweller said:
I wonder if that's the Stapleton & Vaughter's plan, to lose by so many minutes so that everyone - even the USPS/Disco/Astana fans - starts looking even harder at the other guys.
They should have hired teams of professional kvetchers. They could hold news conferances after every stage and describe their experience.

"I thought I had a chance to win. My heart rate was pegged, I was putting out 370 watts, and I thought I had about two minutes on the lead group. Suddenly Leipheimer and Contador cruised past me like they were on Ducatis. They weren't even breathing hard. I caught part of a conversation about what music they would play on the team bus. About a hundred meters ahead, Leipheimer pulled out of one of his cleats. He continued peddaling one legged and was still pulling away from me."

This is a serious issue on a commercial level : the biggest sponsor of the sport leaving is a serious issue.

For sure the machinations of what TMO were/were not doing, is relevant on one level.
But in commercial terms, the withdrawal of the biggest commercial team sponsor
is a very serious blow to the sport - in commerical terms.

Given that this news is even been covered in the mainstream media over here (the withdrawal bit........not the ongoing dope investigations), this withdrawal sends an adverse signal to other potential sponsors.

limerickman said:
This is a serious issue on a commercial level : the biggest sponsor of the sport leaving is a serious issue.

For sure the machinations of what TMO were/were not doing, is relevant on one level.
But in commercial terms, the withdrawal of the biggest commercial team sponsor
is a very serious blow to the sport - in commerical terms.

Given that this news is even been covered in the mainstream media over here (the withdrawal bit........not the ongoing dope investigations), this withdrawal sends an adverse signal to other potential sponsors.
According to Cycling Weekly t-mob would only continue of the team signed Zabel, but stapleton and the rest of the team didn't want him on the team.
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Stapleton_confident_his_team_will_continue_article_164147.html