Deutsche Telekom ends sponsorship

Are you forgetting the bad influence of bet on sport events ? Some great scandals like toto calcio in Italy, would come soon maybe tennis?

poulidor said:
Are you forgetting the bad influence of bet on sport events ? Some great scandals like toto calcio in Italy, would come soon maybe tennis?

There is a match fixing/betting enquiry in tennis concerning Davydenko already.

But you're right, betting syndicates betting huge amounts of money have allegedly tried to disrupt various sporting contests.

jhuskey said:
You can't believe everything you read and that is why I ignore stop signs. :D
Either way,it is another bad omen.
Giant bikes takes the high road :D - provisional Pro-Tour license

http://www.cyclingheroes.info/id998.html

The rumour mill says that Stapleton had enough of German media and TM as sponsor. It all started when the sponsor did not want him to sign Valverde last year. This year he signed Hincapie although he very well knew that TM didn't want Hincapie to race in pink....

cyclingheroes said:

The rumour mill says that Stapleton had enough of German media and TM as sponsor. It all started when the sponsor did not want him to sign Valverde last year. This year he signed Hincapie although he very well knew that TM didn't want Hincapie to race in pink....
So forgive me please for being ignorant here. Stapleton doesn't want TM interference fullstop? Or he doesn't want them telling him he can't hire tainted riders? Or American riders? Or he just wants to be able to dope his team properly without TM looking over his shoulder?

cyclingheroes said:

Stapleton wanted to hire Valverde??? That says a lot about how much he wants a clean team. Hincapie is bad enough, but Valverde? I think we can safely say that Stapleton is full of ****. No wonder T-Mob wanted to get out.

Bro Deal said:
Stapleton wanted to hire Valverde??? That says a lot about how much he wants a clean team. Hincapie is bad enough, but Valverde? I think we can safely say that Stapleton is full of ****. No wonder T-Mob wanted to get out.
Yeah...I feel like an idiot. I was defending this guy thinking he wanted a clean team. Then he hires hincapie and wants valv. WTF? It's hopeless Bro.

fscyclist said:
Yeah...I feel like an idiot. I was defending this guy thinking he wanted a clean team. Then he hires hincapie and wants valv. WTF? It's hopeless Bro.
I sent him an email.

So to the T-Mobile team website. Go to contacts or the PR folk. And find the email structure.

As simple as putting Bob Stapleton into [email protected] or .dom

then feel free to level copius amount of vituperation.

They never returned my email, so I guess I got him. I abused him for taking Hincapie.

thunder said:
They never returned my email, so I guess I got him. I abused him for taking Hincapie.
I would like to know the story with Hincapie. Why didn't he go to Astana with the other Discos? He's been like the most loyal rider, damaging his own career to stay with a team that only gave him half hearted support for his goals.

Maybe he had a falling out with Bruyneel. Tommy D. had issues with Bruyneel. Now we know Savoldelli did also. Popo wanted to stay with the Tailwind Sports, but he was tossed out of the inner circle also.

All the teams are facing the same dilemna. They know most of the peleton are doping, so are all equally at risk of taking dope surreptitiously and being caught. So they either take nobodies who can't ride, or somebodies with doping clouds who can.

I think they feel the risks are the same with most riders, at least the old ones have experience at pasing tests. If they do the PR job of picking non-clouded riders who do they pick? Not many who can ride and contest for success.

So again, it comes down to money. Go with the best team you can get, and do your best to mitigate the risks of being caught. DS'ing or managing or sponsoring a **** team is a waste of time.

I feel they are going to lose the German public though. Because DT will want them to fail, and the media will want them to fail most likely. Also the sponsorship potential might be a huge bluff on the premise that if they have any chance of getting them, they have to appear like they are a winning cause with lots of potential sponsors. Like Enron had to appear like a going concern right up to the point they announced bankruptcy.

Bro Deal said:
I would like to know the story with Hincapie. Why didn't he go to Astana with the other Discos? He's been like the most loyal rider, damaging his own career to stay with a team that only gave him half hearted support for his goals.

Maybe he had a falling out with Bruyneel. Tommy D. had issues with Bruyneel. Now we know Savoldelli did also. Popo wanted to stay with the Tailwind Sports, but he was tossed out of the inner circle also.
I don't think Hincapie wants to be a winner (subconciously), even though he has the physical capability. His mental mistakes over his career are not a product of bad luck. I firmly believe he psyches himself out of the big races. He fits in well as a domestique when he probably has as much or more talent than Armstrong.

I am puzzled why he didn't go to Astana. Do you think he wanted to end his career clean?

fscyclist said:
I am puzzled why he didn't go to Astana. Do you think he wanted to end his career clean?
It could be that Bruyneel and Armstrong are very similar in the way they deal with riders. If Hincapie is getting older and may not be as useful, **** him. He's gone. Loyalty and friendship count for nothing.

Perharps its very simple, maybe TMob offered a lot more money than he could ever get with Astana. He is at the end of his career so now or never to rake in the big bucks.

earth_dweller said:
Perharps its very simple, maybe TMob offered a lot more money than he could ever get with Astana. He is at the end of his career so now or never to rake in the big bucks.
That would make sense. It seems that TWS has a history of underpaying their riders. That is why FLandis left.

Bro Deal said:
That would make sense. It seems that TWS has a history of underpaying their riders. That is why FLandis left.
Probably right. With these teams folding I wonder what the top riders will be paid next year. Will it even be close to recent years?

Is Hincapie's wife German? It would be a good reason to set a deal with a German team and to prepare his reconversion...

poulidor said:
Is Hincapie's wife German? It would be a good reason to set a deal with a German team and to prepare his reconversion...
I thought she was French. I just googled : Melanie Simonneau from Dijon.

Crankyfeet said:
I thought she was French. I just googled : Melanie Simonneau from Dijon.

Yes and Lance thinks she's an ******** cos she's French......... Lance never gets invited to dinner........

whiteboytrash said:
Yes and Lance thinks she's an ******** cos she's French......... Lance never gets invited to dinner........
Well, her marriage to Hincapie was all part of the french ploy to bring Lance down. It's all part of the grand plan.

C'dale Girl said:
Well, her marriage to Hincapie was all part of the french ploy to bring Lance down. It's all part of the grand plan.
She's a mole....