Deutsche Telekom ends sponsorship

cyclingheroes said:
Deutsche Telekom wants to sponsor Formula One (Spy scandal... very ethical sport:p )

http://www.blick.ch/sport/formel1/fluechtet-telekom-zu-bmw-sauber-79127

Deutsche Telekom - being the huge company that they are - actively review marketing opportunities.
I'm not surprised that they're looking at F1 - given F1's huge TV viewer numbers.
To even get a foothold on the sponsorship ladder at F1 costs huge money.
Obviously DT have very deep pockets.

limerickman said:
Deutsche Telekom - being the huge company that they are - actively review marketing opportunities.
I'm not surprised that they're looking at F1 - given F1's huge TV viewer numbers.
To even get a foothold on the sponsorship ladder at F1 costs huge money.
Obviously DT have very deep pockets.
Maybe Benson & Hedges and Marlboro will now start sponsoring cycling ?

whiteboytrash said:
Maybe Benson & Hedges and Marlboro will now start sponsoring cycling ?

I know you're joking (EU laws wouldn't allow it for a start), but the connection is an interesting one to make. F1 clung on to tobacco sponsorship until the end in Europe, worried about the losses to its income stream from a ban. In the UK the Ecclestone scandal was one of the big early damages to the Labour government.

The reality has worked out completely different to the fears though: there are a lot of blue-chip companies that are much happier to be associated with F1 now that they won't be sharing space on the same cars as tobacco adverts. It's natural that Deutsche Telekom would be attracted now. The only question will be how they would get involved. The big German linked teams are McLaren-Mercedes (already sponsored by rival Vodafone) and BMW-Williams (main sponsor: AT&T). Among the German teams that leaves Sauber-BMW, but they're a 2nd/3rd tier team (and there may be behind-the-scenes deals between the BMW teams to prevent any conflicting sponsor arrangements.) You can see that there is a strong link between F1 and telecommunications: I guess it's a sport for people that like the latest gadgets and high technology.

Perhaps the lesson for cycling is that you shouldn't be afraid of losing some 'dodgy' sponsors because the pay-off is that other sponsors will come into the clean vacuum. TMob aren't 'dodgy' in the way that tobacco-manufacturers are, but perhaps they're dodgy in the sense of 'win at all costs'. Other sponsors might be brought in by appealing to the concepts of 'fair play' and 'sportsmanship'. There must be many companies that want to associate themselves with those values.

rob of the og said:
Other sponsors might be brought in by appealing to the concepts of 'fair play' and 'sportsmanship'. There must be many companies that want to associate themselves with those values.

Somehow I cannot see them going into cycling sponsorship at the moment.

Tim Lamkin said:
...and you think this cycling sport is....yea right, F1 is a lot better then cycling ever thought of being........... spy's and all
I don't know about that. F1 has some serious problems with its governing body, much like cycling does. In F1's case they appear to use rulings on various issues to make the season more competitive. Whenever the FIA is to rule on something, you can usually bet on the outcome that makes the drivers' championship closer. Other issues are ignored as they make the competition tighter. The FIA use of its regulatory powers affects who wins the championship.

Some might say the UCI has done something similar. Some teams are getting tip offs about random testing, and some teams and riders appear to be targeted while others are given a free pass. But the UCI does not appear to be managing the "excitement" of the sport like F1 does. It looks like run of the mill corruption.

Which is worse is a judgement call.

Crankyfeet said:
I'm going cross-court with this bump.

Don't you just love bump tennis.:D

What I love is when UT wins in Seattle against a good team like Gonzaga.

cyclingheroes said:
I like a good party on New Years Eve. But that's also just another opinion. :D

Happy New Year, part on dude! Now where did I put my 2008 Hooters Girl calendar?