Deutschland Tour

earth_dweller said:
cyclingstartlists has an imcomplete roster.
Thanks for this, I didn't know about that website.

Sinkewitz to lead T-Mobile? Maybe Vanhuffel will try to do something for Davitamon? I would think that Vinokourov will be a favorite.

Quickstep for the Tour of Germany (according to cyclingnews.com): Nick Nuyens, Kevin De Weert, Sebastien Rosseler, Hubert Schwab, Jurgen Van De Walle, Geert Verheyen, Davide Viganò, and Remmert Wielinga

Still no word from Phonak (it's not clear if Phonak is going to start at all)

I have no sense of Quickstep as a stage race team. Who of those is likely to be team leader?

cyclingheroes said:
Quickstep for the Tour of Germany (according to cyclingnews.com): Nick Nuyens, Kevin De Weert, Sebastien Rosseler, Hubert Schwab, Jurgen Van De Walle, Geert Verheyen, Davide Viganò, and Remmert Wielinga

Still no word from Phonak (it's not clear if Phonak is going to start at all)

From the Paceline:

Lining up for DC will be: Michael Barry, Voldymyr Bileka, Stijn Devolder, Vladymyr Gusev, Benoit Joachim, Trent Lowe, Jurgen Van Goolen, and Jason McCartney - Sean Yates, directing.

I guess they will ride for Gusev, he just won the Saschen Tour.

The Paceline irritates me, they go out of their way to puff up Barry, "Michael continues to show he's one of the top riders in the pro peloton," in writing up a race won by Gusev, who apparently merited no such additional accolade. And certainly the one for Barry is false. Furthermore, in addition to Saschen, a lesser tour, Gusev scored a nominal 4th in Roubaix before disqualification.

It will be interesting to see how Vino races. Might be some anger there. I'd love to see him do well.

Deli said:
It will be interesting to see how Vino races. Might be some anger there. I'd love to see him do well.
I think he is one of the favourites, don't now about his form though, he build-up his form to have his peak during the TdF and couldn't race at all... But yes, a lot of anger that might give hime some extra motivation. I hope he wins the GC, it's not only that i like Vino as a rider but i am angry as well (would take too long to explain on this thread)...

cyclingheroes said:
Nick Nuyens. So they are going for a stage not for GC. By the way here is the official startlist from the Deutschland-Tour website:
http://www.deutschland-tour.de/downloads/tour/D-Tour-2006_Startliste_Elite.pdf

Thanks for that list.

Wow, CSC are sending a very strong team to the Tour of Germany.
Schleck, Julich, Voigt, Soronsen, Cuesta.

I would like to see Vino do well : but I have a darkhorse bet : Piepoli of Saunier.
He climbed really well at the Giro and the DL and TDF, and the Tour of Germany is a climbers tour.

Of course, I'll also give the kiss of death to Georg Totschnig.
Gerolsteiner will want to defend their title : LL will be firing.
Cioni and Bruseghin could be contenders.

cyclingheroes said:
.....but i am angry as well (would take too long to explain on this thread)...
Relax CH... We never have problems, we only have solutions. Remeber this.:D

I'm going with Levi. I like the fact that he may be motivated to repeat.

lw

lwedge said:
Relax CH... We never have problems, we only have solutions. Remeber this.:D

I'm going with Levi. I like the fact that he may be motivated to repeat.

lw
I try to relax, every day but.. i'm getting more and more angry as the Fuentes case develops. But don't worry, i am feeling fine as the anger makes me go faster on my bike. :D

About Levi... i don't know if he will get all the support of the team. I guess not... (leaving for Disco)

No Cunego, Flecha or Moreau....am I interested? No. I will just sit back and see how many get busted for testosterone violations.

I have an idea, why not kick out the current sponsors and have all the teams be sponsored by pharmaceutical companies and methadone clinics.

Cunego22 said:
No Cunego, Flecha or Moreau....am I interested? No. I will just sit back and see how many get busted for testosterone violations.

I have an idea, why not kick out the current sponsors and have all the teams be sponsored by pharmaceutical companies and methadone clinics.
Well... can we leave at least one thread in this forum open to discussion of what remains of this sport, and leave the topic of the year to the many others?

As for missing riders, that is normal for this time of year. Let those guys rest! You keep pushing them to compete, and they will want to take something to survive and...

I BROKE MY OWN RULE!!!

Seriously, let's leave the PED stuff out of the Deutschland thread, please.

BTW, will Moreau, as a french rider, be more likely to ride Tour de L'Ain? In general I think any rider who follows the TdF with a 9-day tour a week later is nuts. And any rider with Vuelta ambitions (Flecha for stage wins?) is going to want some down time before September.

Interesting article here http://www.eurosport.com/cycling/deutschland-tour/2006/sport_sto935828.shtmlInteresting at least because Millar isn't on the start list???? Eurosport have cleary been drinking too much, ah well.

CSC have a strong team, but is their main contender strong enough to take the overall. Gerolsteiner look very strong behind Leipheimer. T-Mobile is looking good too. Astana has its A team here, Kashechkin, Sanchev and Vino. Liguigas don't look too bad, but unlikely to take the overall. Everyone else seems to have sent their B teams, or C teams in some cases. Guess thats just the pro-tour though.

Darkhorse bets for stage wins: Piepoli, Wim van Huffel

Is anyone watching this on cycling.tv? It was supposed to start 6 minutes ago, but has yet to begin

Gusev beats Gerdemann by a few hundredths of a second. Zabel is less than 20 seconds behind so has a good chance of taking the leaders jersey through sprint bonuses next stage. Leipheimer with a very dissapointing start, hampered by the weather conditions though.

cyclingheroes said:
I try to relax, every day but.. i'm getting more and more angry as the Fuentes case develops. But don't worry, i am feeling fine as the anger makes me go faster on my bike. :D

About Levi... i don't know if he will get all the support of the team. I guess not... (leaving for Disco)
I know. This hasn't been a good year for cycling in general.

I picked Levi over others only because I think he will be motivated to hold the title. He may have an extra incentive to show his new team (any team, doesn't have to be DC) he's worth the contract. It will be interesting though to see if DC helps him.

I was hoping Jan could get things worked out with another team soon enough to enter the Deutschland. It would have been nice to see Jan and Levi go at it again.

Any word on Julich? He is on the CSC roster for this race but I thought he broke his collarbone.

lw

Eldrack said:
Gusev beats Gerdemann by a few hundredths of a second. Zabel is less than 20 seconds behind so has a good chance of taking the leaders jersey through sprint bonuses next stage. Leipheimer with a very dissapointing start, hampered by the weather conditions though.
Not a bad time for Vino either.

lw

Vinokourov, 10 seconds back of winner Gusev (or is 9.83 considered to be 9 seconds?), takes 10 seconds out of Sinkiewicz and 31 seconds out of Leipheimer. Julich 21 back of Vino.

I read that Julich and especially Leipheimer rode cautiously due to rain.

Gusev may be a dark horse for this one - definitely a "strong man" but don't know his abilities with respect to the longer climbs.