Deutschland Tour

JRMDC said:
Vinokourov, 10 seconds back of winner Gusev (or is 9.83 considered to be 9 seconds?), takes 10 seconds out of Sinkiewicz and 31 seconds out of Leipheimer. Julich 21 back of Vino.

I read that Julich and especially Leipheimer rode cautiously due to rain.

Gusev may be a dark horse for this one - definitely a "strong man" but don't know his abilities with respect to the longer climbs.

Aye, a good win for the young pro.

But as you point out this Tour is a climbing tour and it will be intersting to see how he performs.

limerickman said:
Aye, a good win for the young pro.

But as you point out this Tour is a climbing tour and it will be intersting to see how he performs.
Yes, your call of Piepoli is well chosen.

JRMDC said:
Vinokourov, 10 seconds back of winner Gusev (or is 9.83 considered to be 9 seconds?), takes 10 seconds out of Sinkiewicz and 31 seconds out of Leipheimer. Julich 21 back of Vino.

I read that Julich and especially Leipheimer rode cautiously due to rain.
Yes, there were very different conditions for the different riders. However, it has to be mentioned that Gusev wrote during rain as well, as did Vinokourov and Sinkewitz.

Other than Zabel, the sprinter who was pretty well in this prologue was Gerald Ciolek, 2005's German Champion (where he beat both Zabel and Hondo in the final sprint), who was even slightly faster than Zabel. He also finished second place in this year's "Henniger Turm" Race and was among the sprinters, who were in the first group in the Vattenfall Cyclassics on Sunday, which means he is among the sprinters, who are not that bad uphill (probably about the same class uphill as Zabel). And tomorrow's stage finish is not that easy, so IMO he has a pretty good for the Yellow jersey as well.

Though if the sprinters want the Yellow jersey they better get it tomorrow, because on Thursday the stage finishes with two category 2 climbings.

limerickman said:
Thanks !

It's probably the kiss of death for Piepoli's chances though !
Based on previous experience, probably yes. How about you give me the list of people your tipping to do well in the Vuelta and I'll take them out of my fantasy cycling team.

Tomorrows stage: I think it won't be a sprint win. Cat 3 climb within 7k of the end or so, I reckon someone will do a late charge and the sprinters teams will just about be disrupted enough not to be able to chase him down (already being tired from nailing the inevitable breakaway). Someone form T-Mobile will be my bet.

Eldrack said:
Based on previous experience, probably yes. How about you give me the list of people your tipping to do well in the Vuelta and I'll take them out of my fantasy cycling team.

Let me get back to you on that!

limerickman said:
Thanks !

It's probably the kiss of death for Piepoli's chances though !
Levi sez, that's one down and a few to go. Any chance you could pick Vino and a few others?

:D

I gotta say that it is great to have actual cycling to discuss, instead of all the news/rumors about Landis. And its really great to see Vino riding again. We'll see when they hit the mountains wheter he has the form after the long wait.

Vino looked so fit today, full of energy. With the freshness he initially kept for the Tour, it's gonna be hard to beat him. Unless a new face arises... (plenty of them on this race)

lwedge said:
Levi sez, that's one down and a few to go. Any chance you could pick Vino and a few others?

:D

I wouldn't put the curse on Vino.

I'd say LL will do well though at this TdD.

Linus Gerdemann performed very well in the Tour de Suisse although he had to work for Ullrich. Yesterday he had a great prologue.. My tip: Gerdemann (but maybe it's just wishfull thinking because cycling is still in shock in Germany and German cycling needs a new face, the most popular riders after Ullrich are Voigt, Klöden and Zabel and they are all over 30)

Astana's Bazayev wins over Napolitano and Zabel, Gusev remains in yellow. My read of a translation from German says that all 173 riders finished in one group. Zabel had been 15 seconds back and 3rd didn't give him enough bonus seconds to get the yellow.

Eldrack said:
Apparently Zabriskie dropped out today, anyone know why?
Well, here is the horribly bad Babelfish translation of the ticker on the race website:

"A rain stage is to end, many smaller falls coined/shaped the picture of the first section Germany route. Fortunately consequence-fraught falls were missing particularly on the conclusion section in Bielefeld. With Bert Grabsch (PHO) and David Zabriskie (CSC) separate two route de France France-Teilnehmer today, perhaps an indication that one week distance simply are not sufficient, in order to recover reasonable from a such torture to. "

I can't tell if this means they crashed in the rain or if they dropped out because they hadn't recovered fully enough from the TdF.

JRMDC said:
Astana's Bazayev wins over Napolitano and Zabel, Gusev remains in yellow. My read of a translation from German says that all 173 riders finished in one group. Zabel had been 15 seconds back and 3rd didn't give him enough bonus seconds to get the yellow.
Correction, there were 136 riders in the lead group. And Zabriskie dropped out, rather than crashing, I think.

does anyone know if it is being covered in america. if it is, what channel is it on

JRMDC said:
Well... can we leave at least one thread in this forum open to discussion of what remains of this sport, and leave the topic of the year to the many others?

As for missing riders, that is normal for this time of year. Let those guys rest! You keep pushing them to compete, and they will want to take something to survive and...

I BROKE MY OWN RULE!!!

Seriously, let's leave the PED stuff out of the Deutschland thread, please.

BTW, will Moreau, as a french rider, be more likely to ride Tour de L'Ain? In general I think any rider who follows the TdF with a 9-day tour a week later is nuts. And any rider with Vuelta ambitions (Flecha for stage wins?) is going to want some down time before September.
My point was that my 3 favorite riders were not involved in the tour therefore my interest level was low. I was not indicating that I felt these riders should ride. It is clearly obvious that you would not want to ride a 9 day tour after the TdF. Unfortunately in the USA we get the NBA and for some odd reason hockey, but hardly any cycling. If we had it on TV, I would probably watch the German Tour.

Jacob24 said:
does anyone know if it is being covered in america. if it is, what channel is it on
You can watch it live at www.cycling.tv but you have to pay for the premium channel. You get one year of service and they show pretty much all races except the TdF. It cost me around 20 or 30 dollars if I remember right.