Developing power/endurance advice needed

the Trimps idea actually sounds like something I would find useful. Just tracking HR is not going to be helpful since each training ride would be dialed into a target zone so I would not be able to see progress but this allow me to take into account the other kinds of rides I might do. Cool

RE: the weight, I starting riding several years ago but did not really track weight until about a year ago and so the "started @ weight" is a little misleading on my part. None the less, the weight argument is not lost on me. My only counter (and admittedly not a deeply philosophical one) is that my close friend and riding partner weighs 216-220, can put in a good solid hour of semi-pro-level squash and still kick my ass on the hills. Sure neither of us are going to float up hills like a greyhound but he is my relevant comparison.

Oh, and regarding Chapeau's comment...... while I do love riding, and am doing a whole lot more than I used to, I do love my wine and potato chips too. The biking let's me break even /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif. Driving those demon hot Utz chips with their salty flaming goodness as they melt on my tongue from my mind is proving a bit more difficult than I might like......mmmmmm salty flame goodness, gotta run.

Swampy said
If the OP's goal is to hotfoot it up some mountains (if they really are equivalent to Tour Cat3 in size)
Again, just for clarification, I'm certainly not claiming I'm screaming up TdF categorized climbs. I think I stated that the climbs were categorized according to whatever algorithm Map My Ride uses. I have no idea how the two compare. But, the motivation I got after leaving my lungs on the road but getting over the climbs and to have a Cat number given to that effort was immense. To me, telling myself that I got onto and over a categorized climb is something I have never done. The rides in my area are rolling and not categorized and so something I will feel proud about for ever. For me, this was the year I did my first categorized climbs, and my first metric and I'm happy with that.

Originally Posted by quenya .
Swampy, the OP has been riding for years but, if i understand correctly, has recently been introduced to these particular hills and recently started trying to lose weight. So yes the point is valid but had already been discussed and the advice Chapeau gave was less than helpful.
I was indicating to become a better cyclist he would need to drop bodyweight.

I was hinting that an 11lb drop isn't significant enough in that timeframe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergie .

Just add the guy to your ignore list. As they say, don't feed the trolls.

Coming from a coach who literally sits on his a$$ all day & see's the Ozz's dominate the Commonwealth. Pride take a hit?.

Guess its time for a training program overhaul.

You ignorance will be the downfall of NZ track cycling. Results don't lie.

Originally Posted by DNAtsol .
Oh, and regarding Chapeau's comment...... while I do love riding, and am doing a whole lot more than I used to, I do love my wine and potato chips too. The biking let's me break even /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif.

No wonder your weight isn't coming down. Potato chips are the devil.......about 8-10 calories per chip and possibly even more depending on the brand.

Wine has lots of calories too - 6 oz red wine 130 calories....6 oz sweet reisling 270 calories.

Everything in moderation.

When I did the personal training thing I would get people to look at the calories burnt function on the machines so they could see that an hour of going hard on a exercycle burned 500 calories. Then told them that was the same amount of calories in a Big Mac. Golden rule, don't eat the Big Mac in the first place.

Originally Posted by fergie .

When I did the personal training thing I would get people to look at the calories burnt function on the machines so they could see that an hour of going hard on a exercycle burned 500 calories. Then told them that was the same amount of calories in a Big Mac. Golden rule, don't eat the Big Mac in the first place.

Right on fergie. I think most people have no idea of the calorie content of food and even less idea of how long one must exercise to burn that off.

How else could you explain why some people cover their food in mayonaisse: 1 tablespoon = 110 calories. Gross.