Devices for cyclists to talk to each other? Do they exist? (I'm thinking ultra-light, "blu-tooth" ty

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:40:50 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Chris
Malcolm) wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>If you're on the same bike it's very hard indeed to beat the quality
>of simply connecting the appropriate ears and vicinity of mouths
>together with sections of tubing instead of electronics,

Have you ever experienced that in practice? I once had a flight in a
Tiger Moth fitted with such a system - it was almost impossible to
hear what the pilot was saying, and he wasn't pedalling at the time
either!

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:51:47 +0000, Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Oh yes, I can see this...
>
>"Your skin is like peaches. Over"
>
>"Station calling on channel 16, say again. I repeat, say again. Over"
>
>"I say again, your skin is like peaches. Over!"
>
>"Station calling on channel 16, go to channel 86 and stand by."
>
>If you're trying to talk her into bed, radio is contra-indicated.

Serious confusion could arise if you indicate acknowledgment by saying
"Roger" though.

Tim

That's more like it, I guess - in terms of weight at least"
However:

1. The DJ-C5T appears to have been discontinued.
I think this thing has replaced it:
http://www.alinco.co.uk/acatalog/djc7.html

2. It's at the very top end of what I'd be prepared to pay - GBP150
each
and is thus almost certainly over-kill for what I need. Afterall,
I repeat, it doesnt
need more than a few metres range

Other points:

a). Forget tandems - way too much extra weight to carry around town!

b). This is needed for two, *separate* bicylces, albeit cycling close
together

c). Shouting is not an option - dont you think I've tried that one!!
This is for use in heavy city traffic and/or windy conditions
where
side-by-side cycling is not possible to do safely.

With thanks

Ship

ship wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is there such a thing as a portable, light-weight Blu-Tooth type thing
> for cyclists to talk to each other?!
>
> I keep cycling across London with my girlfriend and it's very
> irritating not to be able to talk to each other unless we do
> something dangerous!
>
> I'm imaging a small earpiece thing like you see mobile phone
> users wearing. It would only need a range of about 12 feet.

Here you go. Sociables have been around for a very long time.
http://www.justtwobikes.com/models_dual.html

--
Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> writes:

>On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:40:50 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Chris
>Malcolm) wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>>If you're on the same bike it's very hard indeed to beat the quality
>>of simply connecting the appropriate ears and vicinity of mouths
>>together with sections of tubing instead of electronics,

>Have you ever experienced that in practice? I once had a flight in a
>Tiger Moth fitted with such a system - it was almost impossible to
>hear what the pilot was saying, and he wasn't pedalling at the time
>either!

Yup, I bought one, used it for years, not sure if I've still got
it. The throat mike was invented to solve to Tiger Moth problem,
i.e. very high ambient noise. The microphone is strapped to the Adam's
apple.

[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]