Devinci Silverstone vs Giant OSR1 vs Specialized Allez Elite

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Craig Newell, Jul 20, 2003.

  1. Craig Newell

    Craig Newell Guest

    Hey,

    Looking to get rid of my mountain bike and get a road bike. I have narrowed my search down to:

    Devinci Silverstone Giant OCR1 Specialized Allez Elite

    They all have the same gruppos (full 105) except for the wheels. The OCR1 is the only one with 105
    hubs with Mavic CXP22 rims. The Silverstone has a Gipiemme Techno 024 wheelset and the Allez has a
    Alex ATX-330 wheelset. Unfortuanatly, I don't have any experience when it comes to wheelsets, can't
    compare these. Any help?

    They are all aluminum frames with carbon forks, AL seatposts and rear triangles.

    Anyone have any experience with these rides? Anything to look out for on these bikes?

    Thanks, Craig

    Tags:

  2. Hi Craig,

    I was looking at the Giant OCR1 versus the Allez Elite, and ended up on a TCR2, for a very similar
    price to the Allez Elite, for a bike that runs a FULL 105 groupset, and a built wheel, running a cup
    and cone bearing set, rather than a cartridge (Having been a contractor to SKF, there are some
    benefits to each, but the engineering guys recommended cup and cone)....

    I don't know much about the Devinci, but the best advice I can offer is to buy the bike that is the
    best ride....

    "Craig Newell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey,
    >
    > Looking to get rid of my mountain bike and get a road bike. I have narrowed my search down to:
    >
    > Devinci Silverstone Giant OCR1 Specialized Allez Elite
    >
    > They all have the same gruppos (full 105) except for the wheels. The OCR1 is the only one with 105
    > hubs with Mavic CXP22 rims. The Silverstone has a Gipiemme Techno 024 wheelset and the Allez has a
    > Alex ATX-330 wheelset. Unfortuanatly, I don't have any experience when it comes to wheelsets,
    > can't compare these. Any help?
    >
    > They are all aluminum frames with carbon forks, AL seatposts and rear triangles.
    >
    > Anyone have any experience with these rides? Anything to look out for on these bikes?
    >
    > Thanks, Craig

  3. Lewdvig

    Lewdvig Guest

    I have a couple of devinci's and they are very nice bikes. Made in Canada by people who love
    building bikes.

    "Andrew Morris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > Hi Craig,
    >
    > I was looking at the Giant OCR1 versus the Allez Elite, and ended up on a TCR2, for a very similar
    > price to the Allez Elite, for a bike that runs a FULL 105 groupset, and a built wheel, running a
    > cup and cone bearing set, rather than a cartridge (Having been a contractor to SKF, there are some
    > benefits to each, but the engineering guys recommended cup and cone)....
    >
    > I don't know much about the Devinci, but the best advice I can offer is to buy the bike that is
    > the best ride....
    >
    > "Craig Newell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hey,
    > >
    > > Looking to get rid of my mountain bike and get a road bike. I have narrowed my search down to:
    > >
    > > Devinci Silverstone Giant OCR1 Specialized Allez Elite
    > >
    > > They all have the same gruppos (full 105) except for the wheels. The OCR1 is the only one with
    > > 105 hubs with Mavic CXP22 rims. The Silverstone has a Gipiemme Techno 024 wheelset and the Allez
    > > has a Alex ATX-330 wheelset. Unfortuanatly, I don't have any experience when it comes to
    > > wheelsets, can't compare these. Any help?
    > >
    > > They are all aluminum frames with carbon forks, AL seatposts and rear triangles.
    > >
    > > Anyone have any experience with these rides? Anything to look out for on these bikes?
    > >
    > > Thanks, Craig

  4. Lewdvig

    Lewdvig Guest

    Some nice things I noticed with devinci:

    MTB has braided steel cable housings - sweet! MTB and Hybrid have kevlar bead tires They always seem
    to have nice wheelsets They use a proprietary alum tubeset that makes a very light frame Very
    forgiving ride

    "Andrew Morris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > Hi Craig,
    >
    > I was looking at the Giant OCR1 versus the Allez Elite, and ended up on a TCR2, for a very similar
    > price to the Allez Elite, for a bike that runs a FULL 105 groupset, and a built wheel, running a
    > cup and cone bearing set, rather than a cartridge (Having been a contractor to SKF, there are some
    > benefits to each, but the engineering guys recommended cup and cone)....
    >
    > I don't know much about the Devinci, but the best advice I can offer is to buy the bike that is
    > the best ride....
    >
    > "Craig Newell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hey,
    > >
    > > Looking to get rid of my mountain bike and get a road bike. I have narrowed my search down to:
    > >
    > > Devinci Silverstone Giant OCR1 Specialized Allez Elite
    > >
    > > They all have the same gruppos (full 105) except for the wheels. The OCR1 is the only one with
    > > 105 hubs with Mavic CXP22 rims. The Silverstone has a Gipiemme Techno 024 wheelset and the Allez
    > > has a Alex ATX-330 wheelset. Unfortuanatly, I don't have any experience when it comes to
    > > wheelsets, can't compare these. Any help?
    > >
    > > They are all aluminum frames with carbon forks, AL seatposts and rear triangles.
    > >
    > > Anyone have any experience with these rides? Anything to look out for on these bikes?
    > >
    > > Thanks, Craig

  5. "Lewdvig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > They all have the same gruppos (full 105) except for the wheels. The OCR1 is the only one with 105
    > hubs with Mavic CXP22 rims. The Silverstone has a Gipiemme Techno 024 wheelset and the Allez has a
    > Alex ATX-330 wheelset. Unfortuanatly, I don't have any experience when it comes to wheelsets,
    > can't compare these. Any help?

    I have a 2003 Allez Elite 27 (aluminum). I'm happy with it, except that on a recent ride, part of
    the hub flange that holds the spokes broke off. I thought it was a broken spoke at first. I'm
    bringing the wheel back to my LBS -- I expect to get it replaced under warranty.

    -- Paul