Devon and Cornwall.

"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Of course, it you want to get a high top speed you have to try. I have attained my highest speeds
> by pedalling the big gears for as long as I can from as soon as I can to give me time to get to
> the maximum before having
> brake for a corner. 49 mph on the Derbyshire side of Holme Moss, 56mph on the Luz St Savour side
> of the Col du Tourmalet. Both times needed fast pedalling start and tight aero tuck, chin or neck
> on the handlebars once
the
> gears became too low.

The best I've recorded is 49.9mph using a 53 x 13 about a decade ago when doing a York Century. My
knees were going like bees wings and the marshall at the bottom of the hill near a junction was
waving frantically. Alas, never to be repeated, even descending Holme Moss on two occasions. I
wonder if that's because I was wearing a Camelback or beacause I was obstructed by others or just
because I'm a frightened old(er) man ;-)

Pete

A Cautionary tale...

I've a friend who is fearless on a bike. He was descending a long hill in Kerry by himself, but on a
mass ride recently. He awoke in a field, had broken ribs, his shoulder and his hip and had to have a
hip replacement. He has no memory of what happened. It's not worth it taking chances. It is to
professional bike racers.

>Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Those high speeds would only be possible on a recumbent.

Tandems are pretty fast downhill too...

(Keasden to Stocks Reservoir road, on the downhill side obviously, Green Side to Hawes,
Panoramastrasse from the Loser Plateau to Altaussee are our fastest in descending order (much eek!
for the first one))

cheers, clive