Devon C2C

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Paul, May 20, 2003.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    I'm planning to do the Devon C2C in the summer (when ?!), starting from Ilfracombe.

    I'll be driving to the start and hope to be able to leave the car safely there.

    Has anyone who's done this ride got any advice/experiences to share ?

    I'd also appreciate some guidance as to how to get back to Ilfracombe at the end of the ride - I've
    been looking for a return on the train - but this seems far from simple or quick ........ advice
    appreciated !

    Thanks

    Paul

    Tags:

  2. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the
    keyboard of [email protected] (Paul) wrote:

    > I'd also appreciate some guidance as to how to get back to Ilfracombe at the end of the ride -
    > I've been looking for a return on the train - but this seems far from simple or quick ........
    > advice appreciated !

    Could be challenging! You can get as far as Barnstaple on the train, but you have to get to Exeter
    first. There's also a bus Plymouth- Barnstaple (the 86 - my local bus route - takes forever), but
    you won't get a bike on it unless perhaps you find a particularly obliging driver.

    I'd suggest you just find somewhere to overnight and ride back the next day.

    --
    Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
    Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)

  3. Rg

    Rg Guest

    "Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, one of
    infinite monkeys
    > at the keyboard of [email protected] (Paul) wrote:
    >
    > > I'd also appreciate some guidance as to how to get back to Ilfracombe at the end of the ride -
    > > I've been looking for a return on the train - but this seems far from simple or quick ........
    > > advice appreciated !
    >
    > Could be challenging! You can get as far as Barnstaple on the train, but you have to get to Exeter
    > first. There's also a bus Plymouth- Barnstaple (the 86 - my local bus route - takes forever), but
    > you won't get a bike on it unless perhaps you find a particularly obliging driver.
    >
    > I'd suggest you just find somewhere to overnight and ride back the next day.

    I too am looking at the same trip - the only conclusion that I could come up with for the Barnstaple
    - Ilfracombe bit on the return was to take the train to Barnstaple and lock the bike up in the
    station before taking the bus (no bikes allowed) to Ilfracombe to retrieve the car and thus return
    to Barnstaple for the bike. Seems crazy in the brave new world of integrated transport but that's
    all I could think of. (Of course, if you are not doing the ride solo then just one of the group
    needs to do the bus ride - the other(s) could mind the bikes for a couple of hours)

    RG