Dh fork on enduro bike?

mtb1102

Sep 1, 2016
Johannesburg, South Africa
So I have a 160mm travel fork on my enduro bike but I feel I need *just* a bit more travel, what about putting a 180 dh fork on my bike? Has anyone done it, and what are the risks/pros and cons?
Any advice would be appreciated

WHY?!?

Do you know why REALLY want to use a DH fork?

Are your descents on paths that are THAT MUCH STEEPER than your current fork can accommodate OR do you just want something with more travel?

The only reason that I would use a DH fork on a non-DH frame is because it was the only fork I had at the moment ... which is to say that I wouldn't ...

Consider that the bike's head tube & handlebars will probably be almost 3" higher ...

Unless you are going for the easy-rider effect with your hands in the air when you are not descending, then you may find the compromise of your 'new' riding position may be unacceptable ... especially, when climbing ... OR not?!?

If you are STILL inclined toward your hypothtical option, then you may want to buy a stem riser or two which you can stack on your current steerer to see if you can live with the higher handlebars ... OR, of course, you could remove ANY-and-ALL spacers and/or install a 0º/no-rise handlebar.

BTW. You may need to change your seatpost to one which has ZERO setback so that you can adjust your saddle's fore-aft position as needed, too. If you are already using a seatpost with zero setback then maybe you should reconsider the entire need & subsequent alteration.

WHY?!?

Do you know why REALLY want to use a DH fork?

Are your descents on paths that are THAT MUCH STEEPER than your current fork can accommodate OR do you just want something with more travel?

The only reason that I would use a DH fork on a non-DH frame is because it was the only fork I had at the moment ... which is to say that I wouldn't ...

Consider that the bike's head tube & handlebars will probably be almost 3" higher ...

Unless you are going for the easy-rider effect with your hands in the air when you are not descending, then you may find the compromise of your 'new' riding position may be unacceptable ... especially, when climbing ... OR not?!?

If you are STILL inclined toward your hypothtical option, then you may want to buy a stem riser or two which you can stack on your current steerer to see if you can live with the higher handlebars ... OR, of course, you could remove ANY-and-ALL spacers and/or install a 0º/no-rise handlebar.

BTW. You may need to change your seatpost to one which has ZERO setback so that you can adjust your saddle's fore-aft position as needed, too. If you are already using a seatpost with zero setback then maybe you should reconsider the entire need & subsequent alteration.
I am heading more into the downhill region of cycling but I cannot afford a downhill bike yet, I found a fork dirt cheap so I was just wondering what problems might come up

Well, if you're asking if it's doable ...

I guess so.

It may be pennywise-and-pound-foolish, however.

Consider that your bike's rear swing arm is not designed for the rigors of most DH riding ...

So, you may-or-may-not be shortening your frame's possible life span (I'd consider checking the swing arm's bushings/bearings before each outing).

Your rims & tires may-or-may-not be rugged enough ...

Et cetera.

But, if you are undaunted by the possibility that you will have to pony up for a DH frame sooner-rather-than-later, then (if you don't already have the following) remember to buy a mouth guard + full face helmet & other probably-wussy-to-some miscellaneous body protection as your sensibilities dictate!

Last edited:
Well, if you're asking if it's doable ...

I guess so.

It may be pennywise-and-pound-foolish, however.

Consider that your bike's rear swing arm is not designed for the rigors of most DH riding ...

So, you may-or-may-not be shortening your frame's possible life span (I'd consider checking the swing arm's bushings/bearings before each outing).

Your rims & tires may-or-may-not be rugged enough ...

Et cetera.

But, if you are undaunted by the possibility that you will have to pony up for a DH frame sooner-rather-than-later, then (if you don't already have the following) remember to buy a mouth guard + full face helmet & other probably-wussy-to-some miscellaneous body protection as your sensibilities dictate!
Great point, thanks a lot for the help