DH/FR/HC/Hucking - What keeps mfr's out of court?

B. Sanders

Guest
What is keeping manufacturers of bikes *specifically designed* for hucking, hardcore, downhill and
freeride (etc) out of court for medical liabilities?

C'mon, riders must be getting hurt on these bikes: 110 lb Newbie buys 45lb bike with 9" travel.
Newbie hucks 15 ft drop to flat. Newbie goes to hospital howling with pain when he lands wrong,
loses grip and smashes face on handlebars. Maxillofacial surgery, here we come!

It's one thing for highly skilled riders to execute perfect landings (most of the time). Everybody
else is crashing a lot. At those velocities and distances, that's gotta add up to some ambulance
rides. Extreme riding is all about risk and "going for it." That means pain and injury when things
go wrong, and that has big lawsuit written all over it.

Why aren't the riders (or their parents, more likely) suing the **** out of the manufacturers? Know
of any cases? I assume that this isn't a problem, because mfr's keep cranking up the heat, turning
out more and more extreme bikes, with more ad copy openly advocating big drops, etc. All it takes
are a few broken backs and that industry is toast.

Just a thought.

B. Sanders wrote:

>What is keeping manufacturers of bikes *specifically designed* for hucking, hardcore, downhill and
>freeride (etc) out of court for medical liabilities?
>
>C'mon, riders must be getting hurt on these bikes: 110 lb Newbie buys 45lb bike with 9" travel.
>Newbie hucks 15 ft drop to flat. Newbie goes to hospital howling with pain when he lands wrong,
>loses grip and smashes face on handlebars. Maxillofacial surgery, here we come!
>
>It's one thing for highly skilled riders to execute perfect landings (most of the time). Everybody
>else is crashing a lot. At those velocities and distances, that's gotta add up to some ambulance
>rides. Extreme riding is all about risk and "going for it." That means pain and injury when things
>go wrong, and that has big lawsuit written all over it.
>
>Why aren't the riders (or their parents, more likely) suing the **** out of the manufacturers? Know
>of any cases? I assume that this isn't a problem, because mfr's keep cranking up the heat, turning
>out more and more extreme bikes, with more ad copy openly advocating big drops, etc. All it takes
>are a few broken backs and that industry is toast.
>
>Just a thought.

I would guess that it is due to the legalese in every owners manual that starts out with "Montain
Biking is an inherently dangerous activity..." and goes on from there.

Besides, if someone hucks off of something that is outside of their skill level, why would that be
the bike's fault?

"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What is keeping manufacturers of bikes *specifically designed* for
hucking,
> hardcore, downhill and freeride (etc) out of court for medical
liabilities?

The reason, I believe, is that riders that buy expensive freeride/jumping bikes know the inherent
risk and don't hold the manufacturers liable. Any old joe schmoe (who would be apt to sue)
wouldn't be buying a Turner or an Intense because he wouldn't see the logic behind spending so
much on a bike.

> C'mon, riders must be getting hurt on these bikes: 110 lb Newbie buys 45lb bike with 9" travel.
> Newbie hucks 15 ft drop to flat. Newbie goes to

People jumping **** also have the cojones to do so. 110lb newbies don't do 15 footers just because
they feel "empowered" or whatever.

> It's one thing for highly skilled riders to execute perfect landings (most of the time). Everybody
> else is crashing a lot. At those velocities and

Carnegie Hall, etc. etc. Maybe extreme riders aren't dipshits that shuck off responsibility
to others.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

B. Sanders <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> All it takes are a few broken backs and that industry is toast.
>
> Just a thought.

There's been plenty. The world isn't far gone enough yet for it to go that way. If and when people
are no longer responsible for their actions to the degree they can effectively shut down an industry
through their own foolishness, it's time for the dissolution of society as we know it, or the end of
our race. Wankers.

Shaun aRe

"Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> B. Sanders wrote:
>
> >What is keeping manufacturers of bikes *specifically designed* for
hucking,
> >hardcore, downhill and freeride (etc) out of court for medical
liabilities?

> >C'mon, riders must be getting hurt on these bikes: 110 lb Newbie buys
45lb
> >bike with 9" travel. Newbie hucks 15 ft drop to flat. Newbie goes to hospital howling with pain
> >when he lands wrong, loses grip and smashes
face
> >on handlebars. Maxillofacial surgery, here we come!
> >
> >It's one thing for highly skilled riders to execute perfect landings
(most
> >of the time). Everybody else is crashing a lot. At those velocities and distances, that's gotta
> >add up to some ambulance rides. Extreme riding is all about risk and "going for it." That means
> >pain and injury when
things
> >go wrong, and that has big lawsuit written all over it.
> >
> >Why aren't the riders (or their parents, more likely) suing the **** out
of
> >the manufacturers? Know of any cases? I assume that this isn't a
problem,
> >because mfr's keep cranking up the heat, turning out more and more
extreme
> >bikes, with more ad copy openly advocating big drops, etc. All it takes
are
> >a few broken backs and that industry is toast.
> >
> >Just a thought.

> I would guess that it is due to the legalese in every owners manual that starts out with "Montain
> Biking is an inherently dangerous activity..." and goes on from there.

Demo bike. Lost the owner's manual. Oops!

> Besides, if someone hucks off of something that is outside of their skill level, why would that be
> the bike's fault?

Look at the ads. The mfr's are openly advocating "insane drops" etc. They are, in essence, telling
the consumer: "Anybody can do 15 ft drops with these bikes. We're strongly implying that it's safe
and even encouraging you to try it." The ads do not say: "You'll smash your face if you land wrong."
There are no warnings in any of the advertisements that I've seen. Instead, there are photos of
riders doing truly crazy stunts that would seriously injure unskilled riders. This has liability
written all over it, IMO.

-Barry

(Disclaimer: I'm not an attorney. I'm not giving legal advice, nor presuming to know the laws and
legal precedents that apply. This is pure conjecture.)

> B. Sanders <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > All it takes are a few broken backs and that industry is toast.
> >
> > Just a thought.
>
> There's been plenty. The world isn't far gone enough yet for it to go that way. If and when people
> are no longer responsible for their actions to the degree they can effectively shut down an
> industry through their own foolishness, it's time for the dissolution of society as we know it, or
the
> end of our race. Wankers.

Never underestimate the power of civil court to destroy an industry. It has happened, and is
happening. If teams of lawyers are currently suing large grocery store chains because they didn't
tell people they were dyeing the salmon pink, then anything is fair game. That's not the most
ridiculous suit that I've heard of, either.

Ever hear of a book called "Unsafe at Any Speed?" This book effectively forced GM to stop selling
the Corvair because of its positraction differential. (Note: Many cars still have positraction.)

All it would take is a vocal group of parents making headlines by pushing a wheelchair-bound 10th
grader on stage to speak out against extreme bike riding, and the party is over.

The world *is* that far gone, Shaun. That's why it amazes me when I read the ad copy for
hucking/HC/DH/FR bikes. They're just begging for a lawsuit,
IMO. When kids are involved, people get active very quickly. Look at "Parental Advisory" labelling
on CD's, for instance.

-Barry

"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:O0Rta.490929$OV.476437@rwcrnsc54...

> Look at the ads. The mfr's are openly advocating "insane drops" etc.
They
> are, in essence, telling the consumer: "Anybody can do 15 ft drops with these bikes. We're
> strongly implying that it's safe and even encouraging
you
> to try it." The ads do not say: "You'll smash your face if you land
wrong."
> There are no warnings in any of the advertisements that I've seen.
Instead,
> there are photos of riders doing truly crazy stunts that would seriously injure unskilled riders.
> This has liability written all over it, IMO.
>
> -Barry
>
> (Disclaimer: I'm not an attorney. I'm not giving legal advice, nor
presuming
> to know the laws and legal precedents that apply. This is pure
conjecture.)

You may interpret mtb ads as declaring "everybody can", but what it comes down to is most people -
specifically those that are inexperienced/less than athletic - know their limitations when it comes
to Dew Sports. For example, I've done a lot more rock climbing than biking in my day, and if you
were to flip through a Rock & Ice magazine, you might get the feeling that a pair of FiveTen shoes
can let you pull a desperate V.14 just like Dave Graham...but the reality is, when you're looking up
at the cliff face, common human sense - the survival instinct - takes over. I've been set up for
routes that I probably could have handled, but the voice in my head said "maybe today's not the
day." If I were to try something over my head, and get hurt, the understanding is that it is my
fault for going beyond my abilities. The same applies to Dew Biking - I saw Bender drop 50 feet and
make it look good, but when I'm on top of the drop looking down, I suddenly want to take up
knitting. If I did throw myself off, no one would rightly make the argument that an Oakley ad
convinced me of my physical and technical abilities to stick a landing.

I'm not saying no ne will ever sue Kona, Intense, or whomever, but I also can't fathom a
judge/magistrate/tribal council/whatever you got in the world following this train of thought:

1 - Plaintiff saw a picture of a guy 30 feet off the ground on a bike. 2 - Plaintiff found a 30 foot
cliff and threw himself off on similar bike as was pictured. 3 - Plaintiff goes boom 4 - It's the
bike's fault

It is tradition more or less - I don't know of any real legal precedent - that when an athelete
makes a bad decision and gets hurt the equipment is not to blame. Has Rossignol ever been sued by a
skier that hit a tree? Probably not, and if said skier did go through the legal motions, you can be
sure it was thrown out. Without specific declarations to a biker (i.e., an LBS guy telling you "you,
Mr. Sanders, can ride down the Matterhorn safely on this Stinky") I don't see any circumstance where
a suit would ever hold water. Or Mountian Dew, as it were.

Chris

"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> What is keeping manufacturers of bikes *specifically designed* for hucking, hardcore, downhill and
> freeride (etc) out of court for medical liabilities?
>
> C'mon, riders must be getting hurt on these bikes: 110 lb Newbie buys 45lb bike with 9" travel.
> Newbie hucks 15 ft drop to flat. Newbie goes to hospital howling with pain when he lands wrong,
> loses grip and smashes face on handlebars. Maxillofacial surgery, here we come!
>
> It's one thing for highly skilled riders to execute perfect landings (most of the time). Everybody
> else is crashing a lot. At those velocities and distances, that's gotta add up to some ambulance
> rides. Extreme riding is all about risk and "going for it." That means pain and injury when things
> go wrong, and that has big lawsuit written all over it.
>
> Why aren't the riders (or their parents, more likely) suing the **** out of the manufacturers?
> Know of any cases? I assume that this isn't a problem, because mfr's keep cranking up the heat,
> turning out more and more extreme bikes, with more ad copy openly advocating big drops, etc. All
> it takes are a few broken backs and that industry is toast.

It's called "Natural Selection". The floppers will end their "riding" careers much more quickly than
real mountain bikers. I think it's all really hilarious.

JD

"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ever hear of a book called "Unsafe at Any Speed?" This book effectively forced GM to stop selling
> the Corvair because of its positraction differential. (Note: Many cars still have positraction.)

Because of it's posi? I don't recall posi as being on option on the Corvair, but I could be
wrong--if available it wasn't common. More realistic analysis says the Corvair was killed by the
Camaro (*much* more bang for the buck, and far more reliable--oh, and lots of them had posi), more
than by Nader. Of course it wasn't just the Camaro, but GM invested more in their front engine cars,
and neglected the Corvair until it's death in the late 60s.

Nader's two primary complaints against the Corvair were the swingarm rear suspension (similar to old
Beetles & Spitfires) which lead to plenty of skittish handling and some rollovers, and the heater
which used the cooling air straight from the engine (unlike VWs of the time which used an air-to-air
heat exchanger for greater safety). Blow a head gasket, or exhaust manifold gasket, and you could
die. Even in normal operation (i.e. oil leaking like a sieve all over the engine and burning), the
air was none too fresh. The first problem was improved and then fixed in the mid-60s. But the car
(with the handling changed from very poor to very good) dissapeared several years later.

David

> Look at the ads. The mfr's are openly advocating "insane drops" etc.
They
> are, in essence, telling the consumer: "Anybody can do 15 ft drops with these bikes. We're
> strongly implying that it's safe and even encouraging
you
> to try it." The ads do not say: "You'll smash your face if you land
wrong."

Take any teenager who has only cruised around the neighborhood, put them at the edge of a cliff, and
tell them that this bike will let them take the jump. Bring some clean underwear for them.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

I do plenty of drop-off on my hardtail, of course I wouldn't attempt 15ft onto flat or even 15ft onto a perfect soft sloped landing. I do know the risks when I regularly do 6ft drops, though, and I have suffered injuries resuting from landing wrongly. I haven't sued anyone, I just grin (sometimes I even laugh), bear the pain, and ride/limp home to patch myself up.

I'm not exactly sure why there hasnt been a flurry of lawsuits relating to injuries sustained from extreme mountain biking. Maybe the people who have the knowledge to buy a $5k full sus bike have already been hooning around on their $1k hardtail or even a whole lot of $50 kmart 'bikes'. They have been falling off all the time already and still have enough brain cells to realise that transitioning to 15ft to flat drops is inherently more dangerous than what they were doing before, even wth a $5k full sus.

I think that some of the credit should go to LBS'es. Reputable LBS'es will warn people who are considering DH/FR/DS/XC and even refer them to local clubs to increase their skills, hence reducing injuries (usually). I'm sure not every LBS does this, but mine did :)

B. Sanders <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > B. Sanders <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> > > All it takes are a few broken backs and that industry is toast.
> > >
> > > Just a thought.
> >
> > There's been plenty. The world isn't far gone enough yet for it to go
that
> > way. If and when people are no longer responsible for their actions to
the
> > degree they can effectively shut down an industry through their own foolishness, it's time for
> > the dissolution of society as we know it, or
> the
> > end of our race. Wankers.
>
> Never underestimate the power of civil court to destroy an industry. It
has
> happened, and is happening. If teams of lawyers are currently suing large grocery store chains
> because they didn't tell people they were dyeing the salmon pink, then anything is fair game.
> That's not the most ridiculous
suit
> that I've heard of, either.

That's different - they should have told.

> Ever hear of a book called "Unsafe at Any Speed?" This book effectively forced GM to stop selling
> the Corvair because of its positraction differential. (Note: Many cars still have positraction.)
>
> All it would take is a vocal group of parents making headlines by pushing
> wheelchair-bound 10th grader on stage to speak out against extreme bike riding, and the party
> is over.
>
> The world *is* that far gone, Shaun. That's why it amazes me when I read the ad copy for
> hucking/HC/DH/FR bikes. They're just begging for a
lawsuit,
> IMO. When kids are involved, people get active very quickly. Look at "Parental Advisory" labelling
> on CD's, for instance.

If the world is already that far gone, then we no longer have the right, to have the rights to our
own lives.

People need to think for themselves and quit all this spurious litigation every time their stupidity
catches them out. I say it again: "Wankers!".

Shaun aRe