Di2 Frames Compatible with Mechanical Components?

Raffy Varona

Oct 4, 2011
I was just thinking about this the other day. "SInce most Di2 frames have internal routing for the electronic parts, would it be possible to mount mechanical components so that you can have an aero road bike? For example, the BMC Team Machine SLR01 Di2 frame has internal routing for Durace Di2 and Ultegra Di2?" So yeah, is it possible to mount mechanical components onto a Di2 frame? I'm dreaming of using a Di2 frame as an aero road frame to mount Sram Red components. I'm not a big fan of cables sticking out and being exposed.

The BMC Team Machine SLR01 Di2 is hardly an aero frame.

Typically, Di2 options are just that - Di2 only.

Raffy Varona said:
I was just thinking about this the other day. "SInce most Di2 frames have internal routing for the electronic parts, would it be possible to mount mechanical components so that you can have an aero road bike?
I don't see how Di2 is less aero than a mechanical group. It certainly seems to work well for teams doing time trials on Di2 equipped aero bikes. As for any particular bike in question, you'll need to ask the manufacturer. There is no standard that says that Di2 bikes can't also be fitted with mechanical parts. Leg work will be required.