Di2 Updates, Comments, etc.

spinner32 said:
Di2 definitely has the "wow" factor associated with it, but for most of us it's probably not an affordable option. Oh well - no reason to rip on somebody who can afford it. It's like hearing what it's like to climb in the alps or something to me - I haven't done it, but I sure love hearing what it's like. We're a curious lot as humans.

OP, thanks for sharing - Tony, you can suck a lemon. (No emotional investment here, I just don't like you... Oops, forgot the faux-friendly smiley face, here it is --> :D )
Coming from you, that's probably the greatest compliment I've received on this forum. Thank you very much.:D

tonyzackery said:
Coming from you, that's probably the greatest compliment I've received on this forum. Thank you very much.:D
Probably the only honest one, too. Glad you like being made fun of - I'll be sure to do more of it when you make incendiary, offbeat, overall $&%#-for-brains comments. Keep 'em coming, buddy.

spinner32 said:
Di2 definitely has the "wow" factor associated with it, but for most of us it's probably not an affordable option. We're a curious lot as humans.
Not really a "wow" factor for me. More like a "big deal" factor. But I am curious why it is a "wow" factor to some people and that has been addressed in this thread. I have to agree with Yojimbo's post "It's not like the existing technology has major flaws that needs fixing, and it's not like changing gears is so complicated that a new gadget is needed."

Haha - very true. I found myself saying "wow" when I saw it in action on somebody else's bike, but definitely "big deal" after I saw the price tag and considered some of the points made in this post.

spinner32 said:
Probably the only honest one, too. Glad you like being made fun of - I'll be sure to do more of it when you make incendiary, offbeat, overall $&%#-for-brains comments. Keep 'em coming, buddy.
Anonomous, internet tough-guys - gotta love 'em. So easy to get their panties in a bunch.:D

Regardless, boys, the OP is absolutely correct. Once you have ridden it you will then know. I was as cynical about the concept as anyone could be till I rode it. I told the Shimano rep that I figured it was a solution to a problem that didn't exist....that is until I rode it and now I WANT IT. He said "yeah, everyone says the same thing".

tonyzackery said:
Anonomous, internet tough-guys - gotta love 'em. So easy to get their panties in a bunch.:D
Oh my goodnes - my panties... They're bunching!!!

Are you seriously as socially inept as you seem, or is this just an act to get attention?

larrynipon said:
My only response is...
ride it, then get back to me on that thought. Where the price is today, it is definitely going to have limited exposure, but the price will come down. It's probably the most significant advance we've seen in cycling since the introduction of the various frame materials like Carbon and Ti, and Aluminum. The Di2 delivers a new riding experience, end of story.
I've been waiting for your "objective eval" wherein you describe your "new riding experience" with the Di2 drivetrain but the thread seems to have strayed ... or, did I miss it? In another thread, you stated:

"... effortless changeups from the 39 to 53 under load,"

I have read at least one other rider marvel at how he could downshift to a larger cog when under load with the Di2 drivetrain ...

Is being able to shift to a larger chainring-OR-cog when under load why you are enamoured with your Di2 drivetrain?

Or, was it something else?

flapsupcleanup said:
Regardless, boys, the OP is absolutely correct. Once you have ridden it you will then know. I was as cynical about the concept as anyone could be till I rode it. I told the Shimano rep that I figured it was a solution to a problem that didn't exist....that is until I rode it and now I WANT IT. He said "yeah, everyone says the same thing".
I won't ride it, that way I won't know what I am missing. Precisely the same reason I don't go test drive a Mercedes... ;)

I bought Shimano 105 to upgrade my vintage bike last year before I had ever ridden integrated shifters.... I had actually decided to buy Tiagra, but the complete group wasn't available at the time, and piecing it together it cost more than the 105 complete group. I am happy with it, and have no interest in riding any other groups... no good could come of it.

spinner32 said:
Oh my goodnes - my panties... They're bunching!!!

Are you seriously as socially inept as you seem, or is this just an act to get attention?
If you pulled your panties out, you'd probably be a little less up-tight; probably.

Anonomous, internet tough-guy rather than continuing to hi-jack this thread with your childishness, just PM me. Appears you need the audience to apparently validate yourself, so you have my permission to get in the last word on this thread - I'm done here. Another ego assuage...:D

1st - I think you're speaking about yourself as far as self-validation goes, as it's been said before by others than myself. Need I refer to the ibuprofen thread?

2nd. Good - now we won't have to hear from you again - mission accomplished. Thanks for the favor.

On topic - Does anybody know which teams are or will be riding Di2 this year? I doubt we'll see any exclusive Di2 setups, but it would be interestin to know who's riding it. I'd like to see the system in race action... perhaps it can prevent some of those annoying mechanical issues that often pop up in the pro peloton.

spinner32 said:
1st - I think you're speaking about yourself as far as self-validation goes, as it's been said before by others than myself. Need I refer to the ibuprofen thread?

2nd. Good - now we won't have to hear from you again - mission accomplished. Thanks for the favor.

On topic - Does anybody know which teams are or will be riding Di2 this year? I doubt we'll see any exclusive Di2 setups, but it would be interestin to know who's riding it. I'd like to see the system in race action... perhaps it can prevent some of those annoying mechanical issues that often pop up in the pro peloton.

What do you mean by "exclusive Di2 setups?" I don't know of any teams that have gone completely to Di2, but Di, in general, has seen a lot of testing/use in the last three years or so. There are more than a few riders on it now. It's interesting, though, that even with the knowledge that Di2 was going to be available, this year, Shimano lost quite a few teams--some pro tour teams--to SRAM. So it seems that the teams don't consider Di2 to be so revolutionary that they needed to stick with Shimano in order to win. Campy doesn't feel so pressed by Di2 that they're rushing to get an e-group out.

I don't see any annoying mechanicals that Di2 will alleviate. The vast majority of mechanicals are flat tires, followed by broken chains. Di2 fixes neither.

"Mechanicals" with Di2 will likely be of the disrupted connection variety, i.e. water penetration, broken/bad solders. The deraillers should be pretty robust since they're driven by solenoids, and solenoids are tough devices.

alienator said:
It's interesting, though, that even with the knowledge that Di2 was going to be available, this year, Shimano lost quite a few teams--some pro tour teams--to SRAM. So it seems that the teams don't consider Di2 to be so revolutionary that they needed to stick with Shimano in order to win. Campy doesn't feel so pressed by Di2 that they're rushing to get an e-group out.
QUOTE]

True, but I feel that there's going to be some general resistance from the cycling community to accept any automated technology. It doesn't surprise me that Campy isn't jumping on the bandwagon, simply due to their strog traditionalist history of being the high end component producer. They've never been one to adopt the technologies of other companies.

And I'm betting some of the sway toward SRAM has to do with it's cost (about 500 U.S. less for Red than 7900), and the growing popularity of double-tap shifting.

Shimano is undoubtedly playing a risky card in putting the majority of their innovations for 2009 into the electric groupset - little functionality has changed in the 7900 series, save for ergonomics and lever throw distance - though the handlebar cable routing is a big asthetic improvement IMO.

It seems like the largest hinderance to electric technology has been battery life/failure, and so far Shimano's system seems to have taken care of it - though I would like to see more over the coming year or so.

spinner32 said:
True, but I feel that there's going to be some general resistance from the cycling community to accept any automated technology. It doesn't surprise me that Campy isn't jumping on the bandwagon, simply due to their strog traditionalist history of being the high end component producer. They've never been one to adopt the technologies of other companies.

Resistance to change might be part of it, but I'm willing to be that teams just don't see any substantive benefit to Di2. I'm sure they've all been able to ride it, and the Shimano sponsored teams will get it, if they want, as it's available. As for Campy, they experimented with an e-group for a few years but shelved the project. Perhaps they didn't see benefit to it, either. I dunno.

spinner32 said:
And I'm betting some of the sway toward SRAM has to do with it's cost (about 500 U.S. less for Red than 7900), and the growing popularity of double-tap shifting.

Cost is part of it, yeah, but if teams thought a product had an edge, they'd have it as soon as they could. Look at all the rebranded wheels, tires, and other components in the peloton.

spinner32 said:
Shimano is undoubtedly playing a risky card in putting the majority of their innovations for 2009 into the electric groupset - little functionality has changed in the 7900 series, save for ergonomics and lever throw distance - though the handlebar cable routing is a big asthetic improvement IMO.

Again, I don't think there's been a lot of "innovation." Di2 is a big parts integration project, and for the money pumped into it and the times spent developing it, it hasn't brought any substantive functionality improvements. Sure auto trim is nice, but there's zero advantage to it over thumb or finger actuated trim. More to the point, Shimano demands quite a few pennies for all that electron management and questionable performance enhancement.

spinner32 said:
It seems like the largest hinderance to electric technology has been battery life/failure, and so far Shimano's system seems to have taken care of it - though I would like to see more over the coming year or so.

The batteries Si2 is using are great and dependable. I'll bet Shimano bought them from a very good company that develops and manufactures batteries.