Di2 Updates, Comments, etc.

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by larrynipon, Apr 17, 2009.

1. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

Coming from you, that's probably the greatest compliment I've received on this forum. Thank you very much.:D

2. spinner32

spinner32 New Member

Probably the only honest one, too. Glad you like being made fun of - I'll be sure to do more of it when you make incendiary, offbeat, overall $&%#-for-brains comments. Keep 'em coming, buddy.

3. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Not really a "wow" factor for me. More like a "big deal" factor. But I am curious why it is a "wow" factor to some people and that has been addressed in this thread. I have to agree with Yojimbo's post "It's not like the existing technology has major flaws that needs fixing, and it's not like changing gears is so complicated that a new gadget is needed."

4. spinner32

spinner32 New Member

Haha - very true. I found myself saying "wow" when I saw it in action on somebody else's bike, but definitely "big deal" after I saw the price tag and considered some of the points made in this post.

5. tonyzackery

Anonomous, internet tough-guys - gotta love 'em. So easy to get their panties in a bunch.:D

6. flapsupcleanup

flapsupcleanup New Member

Regardless, boys, the OP is absolutely correct. Once you have ridden it you will then know. I was as cynical about the concept as anyone could be till I rode it. I told the Shimano rep that I figured it was a solution to a problem that didn't exist....that is until I rode it and now I WANT IT. He said "yeah, everyone says the same thing".

7. spinner32

spinner32 New Member

Oh my goodnes - my panties... They're bunching!!!

Are you seriously as socially inept as you seem, or is this just an act to get attention?

8. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

I've been waiting for your "objective eval" wherein you describe your "new riding experience" with the Di2 drivetrain but the thread seems to have strayed ... or, did I miss it? In another thread, you stated:

"... effortless changeups from the 39 to 53 under load,"

I have read at least one other rider marvel at how he could downshift to a larger cog when under load with the Di2 drivetrain ...

Is being able to shift to a larger chainring-OR-cog when under load why you are enamoured with your Di2 drivetrain?

Or, was it something else?

9. dgregory57

dgregory57 New Member

I won't ride it, that way I won't know what I am missing. Precisely the same reason I don't go test drive a Mercedes... ;)

I bought Shimano 105 to upgrade my vintage bike last year before I had ever ridden integrated shifters.... I had actually decided to buy Tiagra, but the complete group wasn't available at the time, and piecing it together it cost more than the 105 complete group. I am happy with it, and have no interest in riding any other groups... no good could come of it.

10. tonyzackery

If you pulled your panties out, you'd probably be a little less up-tight; probably.

Anonomous, internet tough-guy rather than continuing to hi-jack this thread with your childishness, just PM me. Appears you need the audience to apparently validate yourself, so you have my permission to get in the last word on this thread - I'm done here. Another ego assuage...:D

11. spinner32

spinner32 New Member

1st - I think you're speaking about yourself as far as self-validation goes, as it's been said before by others than myself. Need I refer to the ibuprofen thread?

2nd. Good - now we won't have to hear from you again - mission accomplished. Thanks for the favor.

On topic - Does anybody know which teams are or will be riding Di2 this year? I doubt we'll see any exclusive Di2 setups, but it would be interestin to know who's riding it. I'd like to see the system in race action... perhaps it can prevent some of those annoying mechanical issues that often pop up in the pro peloton.

12. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

What do you mean by "exclusive Di2 setups?" I don't know of any teams that have gone completely to Di2, but Di, in general, has seen a lot of testing/use in the last three years or so. There are more than a few riders on it now. It's interesting, though, that even with the knowledge that Di2 was going to be available, this year, Shimano lost quite a few teams--some pro tour teams--to SRAM. So it seems that the teams don't consider Di2 to be so revolutionary that they needed to stick with Shimano in order to win. Campy doesn't feel so pressed by Di2 that they're rushing to get an e-group out.

I don't see any annoying mechanicals that Di2 will alleviate. The vast majority of mechanicals are flat tires, followed by broken chains. Di2 fixes neither.

"Mechanicals" with Di2 will likely be of the disrupted connection variety, i.e. water penetration, broken/bad solders. The deraillers should be pretty robust since they're driven by solenoids, and solenoids are tough devices.

13. spinner32

spinner32 New Member

14. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Resistance to change might be part of it, but I'm willing to be that teams just don't see any substantive benefit to Di2. I'm sure they've all been able to ride it, and the Shimano sponsored teams will get it, if they want, as it's available. As for Campy, they experimented with an e-group for a few years but shelved the project. Perhaps they didn't see benefit to it, either. I dunno.

Cost is part of it, yeah, but if teams thought a product had an edge, they'd have it as soon as they could. Look at all the rebranded wheels, tires, and other components in the peloton.

Again, I don't think there's been a lot of "innovation." Di2 is a big parts integration project, and for the money pumped into it and the times spent developing it, it hasn't brought any substantive functionality improvements. Sure auto trim is nice, but there's zero advantage to it over thumb or finger actuated trim. More to the point, Shimano demands quite a few pennies for all that electron management and questionable performance enhancement.

The batteries Si2 is using are great and dependable. I'll bet Shimano bought them from a very good company that develops and manufactures batteries.