Dia-Compe 287-V levers and side pull brakes

Dan Daniel

Guest
Thanks to people's help, I now know that I picked up a pair
of Dia-Compe 287-V brake levers today.

I need aero levers for a bike that I am putting together. I
have some RSX (or RS-100?) dual pivot standard reach brakes.
And I still have the original brakes from the bike, 105
single pivot side pull brakes from the late '80s- BR-1050.
Looking around the internet, it looks as if the 287-v levers
aren't recommended for dual pivot brakes.

Anyone know how they would work with the single pivot side
pulls? The 105 brakes are in good shape, and I think that
they have more fender clearance than the RSX dual pivots, so
using them has some advantages.

My other option is to get standard aero brake levers for
this bike's setup and save/sell the Dia-Compes.

"Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks to people's help, I now know that I picked up a
> pair of Dia-Compe 287-V brake levers today.
>
> [omitted]...
>
> Anyone know how they would work with the single pivot side
> pulls? The 105 brakes are in good shape, and I think that
> they have more fender clearance than the RSX dual pivots,
> so using them has some advantages.

They have less mechanical advantage, so you will need a
stronger hand to get the same braking force at the rim
compared to a normal aero lever.

Nick

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 22:41:11 -0700, Dan Daniel
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Thanks to people's help, I now know that I picked up a pair
>of Dia-Compe 287-V brake levers today.
>
>I need aero levers for a bike that I am putting together. I
>have some RSX (or RS-100?) dual pivot standard reach
>brakes. And I still have the original brakes from the bike,
>105 single pivot side pull brakes from the late '80s- BR-
>1050. Looking around the internet, it looks as if the 287-v
>levers aren't recommended for dual pivot brakes.
>
>Anyone know how they would work with the single pivot side
>pulls? The 105 brakes are in good shape, and I think that
>they have more fender clearance than the RSX dual pivots,
>so using them has some advantages.
>
>My other option is to get standard aero brake levers for
>this bike's setup and save/sell the Dia-Compes.

Dia-Compe 287-V levers will require even greater hand
strength with single pivot brakes than they do with dual
pivot brakes. Not recommended. :-(

Considered buying some "ordinary" aero levers? See http://c-
gi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3674420413

And there are many more like that.

Dan Daniel <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Thanks to people's help, I now know that I picked up a
> pair of Dia-Compe 287-V brake levers today.
>
> I need aero levers for a bike that I am putting together.
> I have some RSX (or RS-100?) dual pivot standard reach
> brakes. And I still have the original brakes from the
> bike, 105 single pivot side pull brakes from the late '80s-
> BR-1050. Looking around the internet, it looks as if the
> 287-v levers aren't recommended for dual pivot brakes.
>
> Anyone know how they would work with the single pivot side
> pulls? The 105 brakes are in good shape, and I think that
> they have more fender clearance than the RSX dual pivots,
> so using them has some advantages.
>
> My other option is to get standard aero brake levers for
> this bike's setup and save/sell the Dia-Compes.

Your last option is the best. All sidepull brakes, either
single- or dual-pivot, use the same amount of cable pull.

Jeff