Diabetes and cycling/racing

DJTempo

Aug 20, 2005
I've had diabetes for 38 of my 39 years on this planet. I've been cycling seriously for about 24 of the same 39 years. I find it a great tool for managing my Type 1 diabetes, it gives me an excuse to binge on foods I normally wouldn't touch (the holiday season sucks diet-wise), etc, etc, etc. I'm looking for other type 1 diabetics that might have some insight into training for racing. I feel, after many seasons of less-than-impressive results, that the diabetes is limiting my performance. I've never let it hold me back in anything else, so I'm having trouble giving into this suspicion I have.

There's always the fallback "I don't train enough"?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Chip

Hi DJTEMPO
I am also suffering for diabetes since 23 years and cycling is a great tool to control your diabetes. If your are planning for traning and racing so it is obvious it will effect on your performance so if you are spending 4 or 5 hours in traning then try to spend less hours because it will effect on your health.

Re. "If your are planning for traning and racing so it is obvious it will effect on your performance so if you are spending 4 or 5 hours in traning then try to spend less hours because it will effect on your health."

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???

Your post doesn't really make any sense, but I guess you're saying doing 4 -5 hours on the bike is not good for you if you're a diabetic? FYI I used to train three hours a day, 5 days a week and 4-5 hours on a Saturday and up to 7 hours on a Sunday. When I went to the hospital for check-ups, they couldn't believe how fit I was and what superb control of my type 1 diabetes I had.

Unfortunately, I'm a little older now and don't do as many miles as family takes over in life, but the thing is, it wasn't a chore because (and this is important) I enjoyed it!

DJTempo, I've been a diabetic for 30 years and I'm 42 now and have just returned to cyclocross and I'm getting battered in every race. Why? Because I don't have enough time to train. It's as simple as that! I'm now doing it for fun and slowly increasing my mileage and already seeing results.

Get the base miles in. Increase EVERYTHING little by little and then tailor your needs. Use a heart rate monitor throughout and keep a diary. Eat properly. Sugar spikes are useless for the likes of us. Don't binge on junk sweetie things. It'll take a lot longer for diabetics to get race fit. We have more to contend with. Race for yourself and don't compare yourself to others. The fitter you get, the less time you need to train.

Good Luck /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

ps. I found that listening to doctors who don't do sport and give marvelous advice such as, "Eat a biscuit before exercise" are worth avoiding. Listen to other diabetics. There is a website called runsweet.com that may help you.