diabetes and depression/ diabetes and ADHD

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Angelfish, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. Angelfish

    Angelfish Guest

    Does anyone know about diabetes and depression? I saw an article about it in a store free-bee
    magazine. Also, I've heard that continued stress can make diabetes worse.

    Starting in late 2001, I went through some terrible stress starting with the death of my mother and
    having to take on a retarded brother, then having to move from a house I loved so we could fit my
    brother in. It put me into a terrible depression. Let me tell you, when you don't care if you live
    or die, you're not going to give a @#*& about your blood sugar, so I didn't watch what I ate, I
    didn't even care. Now I'm on Lexapro, but I think it's made me gain some weight and I can't get my
    blood sugar to normal levels. I can't go off the Lexapro and go into that deep well of depression so
    soon, that would have me reaching for moon pies, malted milk balls and whipped cream. Can anyone
    tell me about the interaction of diabetes and depression?

    Also, diabetes and ADHD (which I also have) don't mix. I forget to measure food, I get easily
    confused about the diet and I forget to check my blood sugar. Sometimes I feel angry and cheat on my
    diet just to be defiant. Sometimes under stress, I go over the calorie and sugar level and don't
    give a #@$*. Sometimes I'm implusive and grab something I like just because I feel like it.
    Sometimes I forget what's good and bad for me. I know sugar is bad but get all confused about the
    cholesteral stuff. I'm better about watching things when I'm on my ADHD meds but when they wear off,
    things go downhill. Unlike the ADHD meds, ADHD and diabetes is 24/7 and they suck. Any suggestions?

    Angelfish

    Tags:

  2. Stella

    Stella Guest

    Here are two articles that you may find interesting:

    Diabetes and Psychosocial Problems http://diabeticgourmet.com/articles/9.shtml

    Attitude is Everything! http://diabeticgourmet.com/articles/109.shtml

    news:[email protected]...

  3. Angelfish wrote:
    > Does anyone know about diabetes and depression? I saw an article about it in a store free-bee
    > magazine. Also, I've heard that continued stress can make diabetes worse.

    Only first-hand and peripherally by studying psychology at Harvard.. Blood sugar swings can make
    things worse, especially by causing mood swings. And the stress/etc. of long-term poor control and
    lethargy of long-term high glucose levels can help contribute to a nasty, nasty spiral of being
    unwilling/unable to take better control of the situation, thus you feel guilty and unsuccessful,
    thus you engage in poor glucose control, etc.

    > Starting in late 2001, I went through some terrible stress starting with the death of my mother
    > and having to take on a retarded brother, then having to move from a house I loved so we could fit
    > my brother in. It put me into a terrible depression. Let me tell you, when you don't care if you
    > live or die, you're not going to give a @#*& about your blood sugar, so I didn't watch what I ate,
    > I didn't even care. Now I'm on Lexapro, but I think it's made me gain some weight and I can't get
    > my blood sugar to normal levels. I can't go off the Lexapro and go into that deep well of
    > depression so soon, that would have me reaching for moon pies, malted milk balls and whipped
    > cream. Can anyone tell me about the interaction of diabetes and depression?

    Have your doctor, if you can, prescribe a good visit with a local diabetic-experienced mental health
    practicioner. Seriously: it's very bad for your to be this way, and it should be straightforward to
    get out of.

    And by the way, may all the ghods bless you for loving and taking care of your brother. We give up
    things for those we love: as a daddy who's given up sleep, time, and money to care for my beautiful
    daughter, I sympathize completely.

    > Also, diabetes and ADHD (which I also have) don't mix. I forget to measure food, I get easily
    > confused about the diet and I forget to check my blood sugar. Sometimes I feel angry and cheat on
    > my diet just to be defiant. Sometimes under stress, I go over the calorie and sugar level and
    > don't give a #@$*. Sometimes I'm implusive and grab something I like just because I feel like it.
    > Sometimes I forget what's good and bad for me. I know sugar is bad but get all confused about the
    > cholesteral stuff. I'm better about watching things when I'm on my ADHD meds but when they wear
    > off, things go downhill. Unlike the ADHD meds, ADHD and diabetes is 24/7 and they suck. Any
    > suggestions?

    I sympathize completely.

    treated by diet only slightly (in my opinon as a layperson, not as a doctor!). The short term
    concern is getting up in the morning, mid-term is diabetic control, long-term is cholesterol. If you
    live according to every dietary guideline ever published, you'll starve to death.

    If you cholesterol is way out of wack, discuss it with your doctor and take an appropriate
    medication. Your glucose control is much more important, because it affects you on an immediate and
    profound basis. Also, if the oral meds don't cut it for you, you may need to switch to insulin.
    *Don't be scared of that*. Better some insulin now and live a few years comfortably and in healthy
    fashion than be scared off it and be miserable and accumulate damage to your body while avoiding
    injections or pumps.