diabetes problem serious?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Daryl, Jan 31, 2004.

  1. Daryl

    Daryl Guest

    Hi,I have type 2 diabetes or at least i think i do.I was diagnosed in october with it and i have
    been doing great controlling it-i avg 100-110 fasting bg and not above 118 after meals.But i have a
    annoying problem that i am not sure what the cause is.I keep having to use the bathroom every hour
    or two-urinating that is.I told my doc about it-he checked my urine for all the possible
    complications,ketoacidosis, and my protein lvl was fine.He said he had no idea why im having to do
    this so much and this scares me.I went to the dentist and found that i have 2 impacted wisdom teeth
    also.Could this be related?I have no swelling so I don't think they are infected and the dentist
    said he couldn't tell.Anyone have any ideas what this is?thanks.

    Tags:

  2. bistoury

    bistoury Guest

    Perhaps you have a bladder infection ask your doc about using D-MANNOSE. Email me for further
    information about this product

    daryl wrote:

    > Hi,I have type 2 diabetes or at least i think i do.I was diagnosed in october with it and i have
    > been doing great controlling it-i avg 100-110 fasting bg and not above 118 after meals.But i have
    > a annoying problem that i am not sure what the cause is.I keep having to use the bathroom every
    > hour or two-urinating that is.I told my doc about it-he checked my urine for all the possible
    > complications,ketoacidosis, and my protein lvl was fine.He said he had no idea why im having to do
    > this so much and this scares me.I went to the dentist and found that i have 2 impacted wisdom
    > teeth also.Could this be related?I have no swelling so I don't think they are infected and the
    > dentist said he couldn't tell.Anyone have any ideas what this is?thanks.

  3. Beav

    Beav Guest

    "daryl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,I have type 2 diabetes or at least i think i do.

    If (as you say) you've been diagnosed as T2, then there's no "I think"" about it Daryl. You
    have diabetes.

    I was diagnosed in
    > october with it and i have been doing great controlling it-i avg 100-110 fasting bg and not above
    > 118 after meals.

    Under control too, but you still have it.

    But i have a annoying
    > problem that i am not sure what the cause is.I keep having to use the bathroom every hour or two-
    > urinating that is.I told my doc about it-he checked my urine for all the possible
    > complications,ketoacidosis, and my protein lvl was fine.He said he had no idea why im having to do
    > this so much and this scares me.

    It'd scare ME if the doc had no idea but didn't suggest a test or two. You could have a bladder
    infection, or even a kidney infection (to name just a couple of things), you could also be drinking
    far more than you need to, but he should've ASKED THE QUESTION and he should've done some checking!.
    He needs a slap in the spuds if you ask me.

    I went to the dentist and found that i
    > have 2 impacted wisdom teeth also.Could this be related?

    Anything going on inside you could have an impact on your bg levels.

    I have no
    > swelling so I don't think they are infected and the dentist said he couldn't tell.Anyone have any
    > ideas what this is?thanks.

    This is the time to find another doc and get a PROPER consultation going.

    Beav

  4. Daryl, I've got to agree with Beav. You're doing a fantastic job of controlling your sugars. (But
    yes, you are still diabetic. You are just controlling it.) See your doc again, or see another doc.
    Going into ketoacidosis will increase your frequency of urination, so I am glad he ran the test and
    that you came out negative for that. It could be a myriad of things. It is not impossible that your
    impacted wisdom teeth have somehow triggered a response to drink/urinate more frequently. (I would
    be surprised, but I'm not a doc!)

    I hope that you get this problem resolved soon. Steph

    "daryl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,I have type 2 diabetes or at least i think i do.I was diagnosed in october with it and i have
    > been doing great controlling it-i avg 100-110 fasting bg and not above 118 after meals.But i have
    > a annoying problem that i am not sure what the cause is.I keep having to use the bathroom every
    > hour or two-urinating that is.I told my doc about it-he checked my urine for all the possible
    > complications,ketoacidosis, and my protein lvl was fine.He said he had no idea why im having to do
    > this so much and this scares me.I went to the dentist and found that i have 2 impacted wisdom
    > teeth also.Could this be related?I have no swelling so I don't think they are infected and the
    > dentist said he couldn't tell.Anyone have any ideas what this is?thanks.

  5. Julie Bove

    Julie Bove Guest

    "daryl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,I have type 2 diabetes or at least i think i do.I was diagnosed in october with it and i have
    > been doing great controlling it-i avg 100-110 fasting bg and not above 118 after meals.But i have
    > a annoying problem that i am not sure what the cause is.I keep having to use the bathroom every
    > hour or two-urinating that is.I told my doc about it-he checked my urine for all the possible
    > complications,ketoacidosis, and my protein lvl was fine.He said he had no idea why im having to do
    > this so much and this scares me.I went to the dentist and found that i have 2 impacted wisdom
    > teeth also.Could this be related?I have no swelling so I don't think they are infected and the
    > dentist said he couldn't tell.Anyone have any ideas what this is?thanks.

    What type of Dr. are you seeing? If it's not an Endocrinologist, perhaps you should consider seeing
    one. They are the diabetes experts. You might have neuropathy (nerve damage), you might have
    something not even related to diabetes. As for the impacted teeth, that has nothing to do with
    diabetes. What it means is that they didn't grow in straight and are pressing against the teeth that
    are already there rather than being able to erupt like they should. Most likely they'll have to be
    pulled or cut out. I had my two top ones pulled. It hurt like mad for a bit, but then I forgot all
    about it. The bottom ones were cut out. That required my being knocked out, and having someone drive
    me home. I think I was allowed only liquids for a while, then soft foods. The healing process took
    about two weeks. No pain after that!

    --
    Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

  6. bistoury

    bistoury Guest

    Your Naturopath has you controlled just follow his instructions and please keep in touch.

    daryl wrote:

    > Hi,I have type 2 diabetes or at least i think i do.I was diagnosed in october with it and i have
    > been doing great controlling it-i avg 100-110 fasting bg and not above 118 after meals.But i have
    > a annoying problem that i am not sure what the cause is.I keep having to use the bathroom every
    > hour or two-urinating that is.I told my doc about it-he checked my urine for all the possible
    > complications,ketoacidosis, and my protein lvl was fine.He said he had no idea why im having to do
    > this so much and this scares me.I went to the dentist and found that i have 2 impacted wisdom
    > teeth also.Could this be related?I have no swelling so I don't think they are infected and the
    > dentist said he couldn't tell.Anyone have any ideas what this is?thanks.

  7. Sleepyman

    Sleepyman Guest

    On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 00:20:32 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

    >Perhaps you have a bladder infection ask your doc about using D-MANNOSE. Email me for further
    >information about this product
    >
    >daryl wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,I have type 2 diabetes or at least i think i do.I was diagnosed in october with it and i have
    >> been doing great controlling it-i avg 100-110 fasting bg and not above 118 after meals.But i have
    >> a annoying problem that i am not sure what the cause is.I keep having to use the bathroom every
    >> hour or two-urinating that is.I told my doc about it-he checked my urine for all the possible
    >> complications,ketoacidosis, and my protein lvl was fine.He said he had no idea why im having to
    >> do this so much and this scares me.I went to the dentist and found that i have 2 impacted wisdom
    >> teeth also.Could this be related?I have no swelling so I don't think they are infected and the
    >> dentist said he couldn't tell.Anyone have any ideas what this is?thanks.

    Make SURE you ask you doc, before spending money on an unknow unproven supplement, that has been
    recommended to you. Or are you a shill? Posting through Google with a throwaway e-mail.

    SM

    -----------------
    Eskimo/Inuit up!
    -----------------
    T2- 3/14/01

  8. Hemyd

    Hemyd Guest

    Daryl,

    Let me warn you - I'd be very very careful of accepting dubious advice from dubious people. read
    this newsgroup for a while and you'll soon know whose opinions you can trust. Watch out for anyone
    whose posts includes "Email me for further information about this product". Are they concerned about
    your health, or about getting your money?

    Henry

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Perhaps you have a bladder infection ask your doc about using D-MANNOSE. Email me for further
    > information about this product
    >
    > daryl wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,I have type 2 diabetes or at least i think i do.I was diagnosed in october with it and i have
    > > been doing great controlling it-i avg 100-110 fasting bg and not above 118 after meals.But i
    > > have a annoying problem that i am not sure what the cause is.I keep having to use the bathroom
    > > every hour or two-urinating that is.I told my doc about it-he checked my urine for all the
    > > possible complications,ketoacidosis, and my protein lvl was fine.He said he had no idea why im
    > > having to do this so much and this scares me.I went to the dentist and found that i have 2
    > > impacted wisdom teeth also.Could this be related?I have no swelling so I don't think they are
    > > infected and the dentist said he couldn't tell.Anyone have any ideas what this is?thanks.

  9. Southrnelf

    Southrnelf Guest

    It could be many things so if it keeps bothering you call your doctor again.

    It may be a bladder infection, a kidney infection or even a simple bladder irritation. I have had
    bladder infections so many times that I was sure I had one a few months ago but after being tested
    and retested it turns out it was only irritated enough to feel like it was infected. It took several
    weeks for me to stop running to the bathroom all the time.

    BTW Great job with your BG. You should be proud of yourself. You are well controlled but yes you do
    still have diabetes. I was well controlled for over three years and got sick a few months ago
    requiring a couple of surgeries and some meds not recommended for diabetics that quickly showed me
    that while I had been well controlled I certainly wasn't cured. I am still seeing BG problems but I
    finally starting to get some numbers back to normal.

    Debra

  10. Karen.G

    Karen.G Guest

    I thought it wasn't possible for t2's to get ketoacidosis???? Any t2's here that have had it? karen

    "Stephanie Kolban" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Daryl, I've got to agree with Beav. You're doing a fantastic job of controlling your sugars. (But
    > yes, you are still diabetic. You are just controlling it.) See your doc again, or see another doc.
    > Going into ketoacidosis will increase your frequency of urination, so I am glad he ran the test
    > and that you came out negative for that. It could be a myriad of things. It is not impossible that
    > your impacted wisdom teeth have somehow triggered a response to drink/urinate more frequently. (I
    > would be surprised, but I'm not a doc!)
    >
    > I hope that you get this problem resolved soon. Steph
    >
    > "daryl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi,I have type 2 diabetes or at least i think i do.I was diagnosed in october with it and i have
    > > been doing great controlling it-i avg 100-110 fasting bg and not above 118 after meals.But i
    > > have a annoying problem that i am not sure what the cause is.I keep having to use the bathroom
    > > every hour or two-urinating that is.I told my doc about it-he checked my urine for all the
    > > possible complications,ketoacidosis, and my protein lvl was fine.He said he had no idea why im
    > > having to do this so much and this scares me.I went to the dentist and found that i have 2
    > > impacted wisdom teeth also.Could this be related?I have no swelling so I don't think they are
    > > infected and the dentist said he couldn't tell.Anyone have any ideas what this is?thanks.

  11. Ken Bessler

    Ken Bessler Guest

    "karen.g" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I thought it wasn't possible for t2's to get ketoacidosis???? Any t2's here that have had
    > it? karen

    I had it big time - Was pissing 24/7, sleeping 24/7 and drinking
    24/7. Finally developed vision problems then went to my Dr. Scored a FBG of 597!

    He put me in the hospital to work me up on insulin and get me some diabetes education (8 days).

    I started out on 5x70u humalog and 2x70u lantus per day plus 500mg Glucophage x2 per day. After
    awhile I got a new Dr. who referrred me to an endocrinologist who showed me the low carb (NOT
    Atkins) way of eating.

    Now, I've lost 50 lbs and while really concentrating on my carbs and excercise since 1/1/04, have
    not had to shoot insulin and my Glucophage is down to 500mg/day.

    I'm 39, 5'7" & 250 lbs. I eat about 40g of carbs per day and ride my bike about 30 min everyday,
    going to the store for freash produce & meat specials....

    Ken

  12. Oldal4865

    Oldal4865 Guest

    karen.g wrote in message ...
    >I thought it wasn't possible for t2's to get ketoacidosis???? Any t2's here that have had it? karen

    AFAIK, T2 usually get NKH in preference to DKA. After reading a list of symptoms, I don't think
    I could tell the difference though I think DKA are much more likely to fall into "frank coma"
    while NKH just get sicker and sicker.

    http://www.embbs.com/cr/dka/diagn.html

    "History and Physical:

    Patients with DKA usually present with complaint of fatigue, malaise, thirst, and polyuria.
    Depending on the length of symptoms the patient may report weight loss. As the patient becomes
    increasingly ill they may begin to vomit and complain of abdominal pain.

    The physical signs of DKA can be variable. Most patients will have some degree of tachycardia, but
    the blood pressure is often normal. Evidence of dehydration, such as loss of skin turgor, and dry
    mucus membranes may be present. The patient may be febrile, and extreme elevations of temperature
    should not be assumed to be the result of dehydration. Hypothermia may also be seen. . . . ."

    There is a symptom called Kussmaul Breathing which seems to be specific to DKA but not NKH.,

    http://www.hyperdictionary.com/medical/kussmaul+breathing

    "Definition: The rapid, deep, and labored breathing of people who have ketoacidosis or who are in a
    diabetic coma. Kussmaul breathing is named for Adolph Kussmaul, the 19th century German doctor who
    first noted it. Also called "air hunger."

    http://www.embbs.com/cr/dka/treat.html

    "History and Physical:

    NKH is a slowly progressive disease and it is not uncommon to have 3-10 day history of increasing
    thirst, polyuria, and malaise. Courses of up to three weeks have been described. Symptoms of an
    underlying infection may be present, but in some cases there is little history and the clinician
    must consider this diagnosis in the elderly obtunded patient.

    Patients usually have evidence of dehydration such as dry mucus membranes, tachycardia, poor skin
    turgor, and sometimes a low grade fever. The blood pressure is usually well preserved unless there
    is severe dehydration or infection. Respiratory symptoms are usually absent unless the patient has
    pneumonia. Central nervous system dysfunction is relatively common in patients with NKH. Lethargy
    and disorientation are common, but frank coma is rare. Any area within the brain can be affected,
    and while focal neurologic findings are uncommon in DKA, they are fairly common in patients with
    NKH. Seizures may be present in up to one-fourth of patients and can be focal or generalized.
    Fortunately, cerebral edema is very rare in patients with NKH.
    . . ."

    febrile: having a fever, feverish polyuria: Passage of large volume of urine in a given period
    tachycardia: racing heart, rapid heart rate obtunded: made less intense; dulled or deadened. focal
    neurologic findings: ? ? ? ?

    Regards
    Old Al

  13. Beav

    Beav Guest

    "karen.g" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I thought it wasn't possible for t2's to get ketoacidosis????

    If they're still producing insulin (and that's the diff between T1 and T2), you're right,
    they can't.

    > Any t2's here that have had it?

    This should get VERY interesting :)

    Beav

  14. Menthu

    Menthu Guest

    "karen.g" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I thought it wasn't possible for t2's to get ketoacidosis???? Any t2's here that have had
    > it? karen

    Yes....I had Ketiacidosis and BG's over 1000. You can't even believe GP Doctors....Seek a good Endo.

    --
    Menthu, Walking T2 Drug Pharmacy and Pin Cushion

  15. CC'D BY RMAIL tAKE YOUR COMMERCIAL SPAM AND SHOVE IT yOU ARE IN VIOLATION OF THE CHARTER

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Perhaps you have a bladder infection ask your doc about using<SNIP>. Email me for further
    > information about this product
    >
    > daryl wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,I have type 2 diabetes or at least i think i do.I was diagnosed in october with it and i have
    >> been doing great controlling it-i avg 100-110 fasting bg and not above 118 after meals.But i have
    >> a annoying problem that i am not sure what the cause is.I keep having to use the bathroom every
    >> hour or two-urinating that is.I told my doc about it-he checked my urine for all the possible
    >> complications,ketoacidosis, and my protein lvl was fine.He said he had no idea why im having to
    >> do this so much and this scares me.I went to the dentist and found that i have 2 impacted wisdom
    >> teeth also.Could this be related?I have no swelling so I don't think they are infected and the
    >> dentist said he couldn't tell.Anyone have any ideas what this is?thanks.

  16. Tmpstqueen

    Tmpstqueen Guest

    Frequent urination is a common trait of diabetes. Don't sweat it.
    >But i have a annoying problem that i am not sure what the cause is.I keep having to use the
    >bathroom every hour or two-urinating that is

    Not likely, no.
    >I went to the dentist and found that i have 2 impacted wisdom teeth also.Could this be related?

    Grace T2 || July2002 || Diet: The Zone || Meds: N/A || Still adjusting.

  17. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (TmpstQueen) wrote:

    > Frequent urination is a common trait of diabetes. Don't sweat it.

    It's a symptom of out of control blood glucose. Please sweat it and get those numbers down!

    > >But i have a annoying problem that i am not sure what the cause is.I keep having to use the
    > >bathroom every hour or two-urinating that is

    Priscilla