Diabetic questions

Sprgtime

Guest
So... last night we found out that hubby is most likely diabetic.

We went into the ER because of his flu... his temperature was 102, his
heartrate was 141... and his blood sugar was 290.

After a few hours they checked his blood sugar again (they had been
rehydrating him with an IV - he was very dehydrated) and it had lowered a
little to 287. They had him drink a glass of orange juice and eat some
graham crackers. (Does that sound strange to anybody else??) Then they
checked his blood sugar an hour or two later and it had gone up more. So
then they shot him with insulin... got it lowered to 270... gave him more
insulin... got it lowered to 257, and they released him (11 hours later from
the time they first started treating him).

Now he's on glucotrol. They said it was very important for him to see his
doctor first thing Monday to receive instruction on diabetes and figure out
how he is going to control it. I'm wondering... since he has the flu (and
that alone can elevate your blood sugar, right?), and since he's taking this
pill to control his blood sugar... how will they know what he needs? What
kind of a baseline will they even have?
The ER doctor told him NO sweets, no sugar, no whitebread, etc. (Obviously,
I've already been doing that). He couldn't stand it today, after eating
well for breakfast, lunch, and snacks, he said had to have a fast food
burger and left to go get one.

He thinks because he's got the flu, and because he doesn't have any of the
symptoms of being diabetic, then he doesn't really have diabetes and he can
eat whatever he wants as long as he eats it "in moderation" (moderation to
him apparently means daily).

I realize that I'll probably know more after his doctor appointment tomorrow
morning, but I'm just worried sick in the meantime. I was wondering if
anyone had any comments/advice/suggestions/been-there-done-that type stuff
to tell me.

Thanks,

--
Spring
LC since 1/1/04

"Before" & "current" pics at link below:
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sprgsnow/album?.tok=phX4sVBBuvxvs4Hs&.dir=/55b8&.src=ph

"Sprgtime" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> little to 287. They had him drink a glass of orange juice and eat some
> graham crackers. (Does that sound strange to anybody else??) Then they
> checked his blood sugar an hour or two later and it had gone up more. So

That may have been their idea of an informal glucose tolerance test, does
sound weird though.

> He thinks because he's got the flu, and because he doesn't have any of the
> symptoms of being diabetic, then he doesn't really have diabetes and he

can
> eat whatever he wants as long as he eats it "in moderation" (moderation to
> him apparently means daily).

He is in denial, nothing I know of would make a non-diabetic go that high.
My DH said the same thing because he was sick when he was dx, he made me go
talk to his dr to make sure. Sometimes he eats something he shouldn't and
sees a high number so he doesn't doubt it, anymore. He still hasn't told
his mother, though.

> I realize that I'll probably know more after his doctor appointment

tomorrow
> morning, but I'm just worried sick in the meantime. I was wondering if
> anyone had any comments/advice/suggestions/been-there-done-that type stuff
> to tell me.

When he gets a meter and starts using it:
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/Newly Diagnosed.htm
Being on glucotrol alone will not control him enough that he still won't
test diabetic at the dr's office. Having numbers that high means he is
probably in glucose toxicity which increases his insulin resistance.

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

Here's the diagnostic criteria for diabetes... if you meet it, your
doctor is doing you no favors in not diagnosing you.

A diagnosis of diabetes is made when any ONE of these three tests is
positive, followed by a second positive test on a different day:

* Fasting plasma glucose of greater than or equal to 126 mg/dl.

* A random glucose test (taken at any time of the day) of greater
than or equal to 200 mg/dl.

* Oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) value of greater than or equal
to 200 mg/dl measured at a two-hour interval. The OGTT is given over a
three-hour timespan.

Jennifer

tia wrote:

> ive had my sugar checked many times since my mom always had problems with
> her sugar. my doctor says im not diabetic. he does say im extremely
> sensitive to sugar tho, and my reaction to it is really bad. however,
> without me crashing on the fasting test, the results are not conclusive for
> diabetes... sorry.

i dunno what to say then.. ok lets say i am type 2... now that im on atkins
controlling my bloodsugar, im no longer diabetic, right? i never actually
considered the possibility because i never crashed. no matter how bad i got
(shakey) i never worried about it because i never went below 90.

also, if i was diabetic, wouldnt i have trouble losing weight? i was in low
metabolic resistance during induction and havent had a problem with it
since? then again im exercizing too (ahem, wysong :) so..

is this why when i'm on atkins and i have a taste of sugar i get the massive
sugar shock - nausea, vomiting, dizziness, etc? is that what happens to a
diabetic when they have sugar, especially when controlling it for so long?

do i have to do the testing with a glucose meter? am i at risk for all the
complications that arise from it? does it ever go away? youre really
freaking me out. are you absolutely sure it has to meet only 1 of those
criteria???????? please answer as much of this post as you can, please... i
dont have the insurance to see a physician just yet.

-tia

--
_____________________________
This be Tia's SIG!!! YAY!

news:[email protected]...

tia <[email protected]> wrote:
> i dunno what to say then.. ok lets say i am type 2... now that im on
> atkins controlling my bloodsugar, im no longer diabetic, right?

Wrong.

> never actually considered the possibility because i never crashed.
> no matter how bad i got (shakey) i never worried about it because i
> never went below 90.

??? And why is this? I'm a T2 and I never get shakey. Why are you getting
shakey?

> also, if i was diabetic, wouldnt i have trouble losing weight?

I'm a type 2...have been for some 23 years. I've lost over 135 lbs on LC.
I can lose weight easily....where are you getting this stuff? You have to
remember that diabetes does not manifest itself exactly the same with
everyone.

i was
> in low metabolic resistance during induction and havent had a problem
> with it since? then again im exercizing too (ahem, wysong :) so..

What is low metabolic resistance?

> is this why when i'm on atkins and i have a taste of sugar i get the
> massive sugar shock - nausea, vomiting, dizziness, etc? is that what
> happens to a diabetic when they have sugar, especially when
> controlling it for so long?

That doesn't happen to me...but I'm not you.

> do i have to do the testing with a glucose meter?

You definitely should consider it....

> am i at risk for
> all the complications that arise from it?

You surely could be....

> does it ever go away?

No. But it can be well managed via LC and exercise. This could be working
in your favor now, BTW.

> youre really freaking me out.

Well, she did you a huge favor and you should be freaking out.

are you absolutely sure it has to meet
> only 1 of those criteria????????

Get thee to a doctor ASAP. Find a new one if need be.

please answer as much of this post
> as you can, please... i dont have the insurance to see a physician
> just yet.

You can get an inexpensive and strips meter at Walmart, so I hear. I
suggest you do so and start testing yourself.
The internet is NOT a good place to be getting medical advice. But you need
to find competent medical help.

> -tia
>

> "Jennifer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Here's the diagnostic criteria for diabetes... if you meet it, your
>> doctor is doing you no favors in not diagnosing you.
>>

>> A diagnosis of diabetes is made when any ONE of these three tests is
>> positive, followed by a second positive test on a different day:
>>
>> * Fasting plasma glucose of greater than or equal to 126 mg/dl.
>>

>> * A random glucose test (taken at any time of the day) of greater
>> than or equal to 200 mg/dl.
>>

>> * Oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) value of greater than or
>> equal to 200 mg/dl measured at a two-hour interval. The OGTT is
>> given over a three-hour timespan.
>>
>> Jennifer
>>

>> tia wrote:
>>
>>> ive had my sugar checked many times since my mom always had
>>> problems with her sugar. my doctor says im not diabetic. he does
>>> say im extremely sensitive to sugar tho, and my reaction to it is
>>> really bad. however, without me crashing on the fasting test, the
>>> results are not conclusive for diabetes... sorry.

> Aren't you and your hubby in your mid-twenties? I thought we were about
> the same age... Wow, that's scary. I'm sorry to hear about that, I would
> be freaked out.

Yeah, I am a little freaked out. That's why I posted here. Thanks
everybody that responded. I feel better just knowing we have this support
group here.
I'm 25. Hubby is 34.

--

tia <[email protected]> wrote:

> not sure that i can afford a doctor.

in another post you said, and i quote, "in fact, when im not
sitting in hospitals, i run with my husband, who is active duty
military."

when did the military stop offering medical care to spouses of active
duty personnel?

or are you just having trouble keeping track of which lies you're
telling on any given day?

"tia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> im not a diabetic and i went that high... i just never crashed below 90,
> which is normal. he could be suffering from hyperinsulinism...

That is NOT normal

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

In news:[email protected],
Roger Zoul <[email protected]> stated

||| You can get an inexpensive and strips meter at Walmart, so I hear.
||| I suggest you do so and start testing yourself.
||| The internet is NOT a good place to be getting medical advice. But
||| you need
||| to find competent medical help.

I have noticed that some of the drugstore chains are now advertising their
own brands of cheap meters. You have to multiply the results on the Relion
(from Walmart) which uses whole blood calibration by 112% to come in line
with the commonly used plasma calibration measurement system. Here's one
from CVS that comes with 10 strips, uses the whole blood calibration like
Relion and costs $14.95.
http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/detail?prodid=147524&previousURI=/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/search?page=1^Query=blood+glucose+meter^ActiveCat=65
Walgreens has a similar one for $17.99
http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jhtml?id=prod396867&CATID=100133&navAction=push&navCount=0
And drugstore.com (RiteAid) $14.99
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=83649&catid=10016&trx=29384&tab=0#0

For Tia: You can read about this and a lot more about diabetes and pre
diabetes here:
http://www.geocities.com/lottadata4u/selftest.htm What Tia describes as the
shakes may well be reactive hypoglycemia, see the section on Low Blood
Sugar.

I also disagree with Roger about getting advice on the internet. Doctors
are not infallible and some of them are not even very good, particularly in
certain areas. The human body is very complex and research is always
revealing new facts--some of which directly conflict with previous
knowledge--it's hard for doctors to manage their practice and keep up with
all the new stuff as well. You need to have a partnership with your doctor
in your treatment and the more knowledge you bring to that partnership the
better it will work.

|| well.. i was almost going to get to sleep tonight lol.. . ah ****.
|| everything comes in threes, so at least theres only 1 more thing left
|| as far as bad news is concerned....

Don't panic, diabetes is a matter of degree, it progresses over time, low
carbing is probably the best thing you could be doing for it right now.

Tia...

Getting "shakey" and "crashing" are not something that determines
whether you're a diabetic or not.

Both of those things happen when your blood glucose level drops rapidly.
If that happened to you a lot in the past, it is likely you had
"reactive hypoglycemia". Which is common in people who then go on to
get diabetes.

Now... if you are controlling your blood glucose levels using a food and
exercise plan, (and unless you have a meter and you go to the doctor for
regular A1c tests, you really can't know if you ARE controlling it)...
that does not mean you're NOT a diabetic.

I have had absolutely normal blood tests for the past five years.
BUT... I am a diabetic. A diabetic controlling my disease. If I choose
to eat something high in carbs, my blood will tell me.

You say you don't have the insurance to go to a doc... but i recall that
your husband is in the armed services right? Aren't you covered through
him?

This is all conjecture on everyone's part, until you go to the doctor to
determine what's what.

I only "challenged" you because you were giving out dangerous
information to someone who was asking a question.

The diagnosis information I posted is true. You can Google it and find
it is the same in all respected sites... so if you feel you meet the
criteria... you'll have to find the money to go to the doctor.

Jennifer

tia wrote:

> i dunno what to say then.. ok lets say i am type 2... now that im on atkins
> controlling my bloodsugar, im no longer diabetic, right? i never actually
> considered the possibility because i never crashed. no matter how bad i got
> (shakey) i never worried about it because i never went below 90.
>
> also, if i was diabetic, wouldnt i have trouble losing weight? i was in low
> metabolic resistance during induction and havent had a problem with it
> since? then again im exercizing too (ahem, wysong :) so..
>
> is this why when i'm on atkins and i have a taste of sugar i get the massive
> sugar shock - nausea, vomiting, dizziness, etc? is that what happens to a
> diabetic when they have sugar, especially when controlling it for so long?
>
> do i have to do the testing with a glucose meter? am i at risk for all the
> complications that arise from it? does it ever go away? youre really
> freaking me out. are you absolutely sure it has to meet only 1 of those
> criteria???????? please answer as much of this post as you can, please... i
> dont have the insurance to see a physician just yet.
>
> -tia

"tia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

roger, can you recommend a brand of testing meter and strips? omfg, i
gotta
> do the finger ***** thing? omfg... i never considered this before.. and
> ****.. when do i tell my husband? bleh. do the cheap meters work as well
> as the not so cheap accuchek ones? why are they cheap - i dont want to

buy
> something like that twice.

Wal-Mart's Relion brand is, I think, under $10. It's the strips that cost a
lot. I think Relion's are 50 for $22. Keep low carbing and exercising to
minimize damage. It is also important for you to eat regularly, ex if I get
up in the morning my BG will keep rising until I eat something. If I eat
too little before I do a lot of physical work my BG will rise higher than if
I just work at the computer on the same amount of food.
One reason people with diabetes might have trouble losing weight is because
some of the drugs can work against them, Metformin is an exception to that,
it usually helps people lose. Another reason is a lot of people are on the
ADA exchange diet which is way too carby for most of us, and the fluctuating
BGs and insulin levels it causes make them feel like they're starving.

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

we have a situation where i might not be covered.

i do take offense to be called a liar, but it seems like you are just openly
hostile no matter what... so..
there you go.

--
_____________________________
This be Tia's SIG!!! YAY!

"The Queen of Cans and Jars" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1grypyp.mj9x3n733jfzN%[email protected]...
> tia <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> not sure that i can afford a doctor.

> in another post you said, and i quote, "in fact, when im not
> sitting in hospitals, i run with my husband, who is active duty
> military."
>
> when did the military stop offering medical care to spouses of active
> duty personnel?
>
> or are you just having trouble keeping track of which lies you're
> telling on any given day?

i didnt feel challenged by you.

i covered this earlier but we have a situation where i might not be covered
the way most spouses are. i cant go into because of confidentiality (as
well as it being personal) but today actually im probably going to find out
something about that. once i know something i can answer your question
better, but i have to prepare for not having insurance.

ill definately have to go see somebody. i really appreciated your advice
and your answers because what i knew seemed to be hogwash -- and the
'doctor' that told me was a resident while i was seeing the university
doctor. either way i owe you a bit of thanks.

--
_____________________________
This be Tia's SIG!!! YAY!

"Jennifer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tia...
>
> Getting "shakey" and "crashing" are not something that determines whether
> you're a diabetic or not.
>
> Both of those things happen when your blood glucose level drops rapidly.
> If that happened to you a lot in the past, it is likely you had "reactive
> hypoglycemia". Which is common in people who then go on to get diabetes.
>
> Now... if you are controlling your blood glucose levels using a food and
> exercise plan, (and unless you have a meter and you go to the doctor for
> regular A1c tests, you really can't know if you ARE controlling it)...
> that does not mean you're NOT a diabetic.
>
> I have had absolutely normal blood tests for the past five years. BUT... I
> am a diabetic. A diabetic controlling my disease. If I choose to eat
> something high in carbs, my blood will tell me.
>
> You say you don't have the insurance to go to a doc... but i recall that
> your husband is in the armed services right? Aren't you covered through
> him?
>
> This is all conjecture on everyone's part, until you go to the doctor to
> determine what's what.
>
> I only "challenged" you because you were giving out dangerous information
> to someone who was asking a question.
>
> The diagnosis information I posted is true. You can Google it and find it
> is the same in all respected sites... so if you feel you meet the
> criteria... you'll have to find the money to go to the doctor.
>
> Jennifer
>

> tia wrote:
>
>> i dunno what to say then.. ok lets say i am type 2... now that im on
>> atkins controlling my bloodsugar, im no longer diabetic, right? i never
>> actually considered the possibility because i never crashed. no matter
>> how bad i got (shakey) i never worried about it because i never went
>> below 90.
>>
>> also, if i was diabetic, wouldnt i have trouble losing weight? i was in
>> low metabolic resistance during induction and havent had a problem with
>> it since? then again im exercizing too (ahem, wysong :) so..
>>
>> is this why when i'm on atkins and i have a taste of sugar i get the
>> massive sugar shock - nausea, vomiting, dizziness, etc? is that what
>> happens to a diabetic when they have sugar, especially when controlling
>> it for so long?
>>
>> do i have to do the testing with a glucose meter? am i at risk for all
>> the complications that arise from it? does it ever go away? youre
>> really freaking me out. are you absolutely sure it has to meet only 1 of
>> those criteria???????? please answer as much of this post as you can,
>> please... i dont have the insurance to see a physician just yet.
>>
>> -tia

"tia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> i covered this earlier but we have a situation where i might not be

covered
> the way most spouses are. i cant go into because of confidentiality (as
> well as it being personal) but today actually im probably going to find

out
> something about that. once i know something i can answer your question
> better, but i have to prepare for not having insurance.

If your husband is active duty military, you are his legal spouse, you are
entitled to medical care, no ifs ands or buts about it. That's the law and
anyone who says otherwise, whether it is someone telling you, or you making
things up here under the cloak of "confidentiality" is simply not telling
the truth. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and advise you to seek
advice about your medical coverage elsewhere. I don't post here often, but
trust me, I know these things and you are completely wrong on this. And it
could have a disastrous impact on your health.

--
Best wishes,
Louise

Type 2 since 2000
Controlling by exercise and diet

"tia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> i covered this earlier but we have a situation where i might not be

covered
> the way most spouses are. i cant go into because of confidentiality (as
> well as it being personal) but today actually im probably going to find

out
> something about that. once i know something i can answer your question
> better, but i have to prepare for not having insurance.

If your husband is active duty military, you are his legal spouse, you are
entitled to medical care, no ifs ands or buts about it. That's the law and
anyone who says otherwise, whether it is someone telling you, or you making
things up here under the cloak of "confidentiality" is simply not telling
the truth. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and advise you to seek
advice about your medical coverage elsewhere. I don't post here often, but
trust me, I know these things and you are completely wrong on this. And it
could have a disastrous impact on your health.

--
Best wishes,
Louise

Type 2 since 2000
Controlling by exercise and diet

honestly, ketosticks arent much more expensive, so $22 for 50 isnt all THAT
bad... it depends how many times a day id need to test and all that...

you say that not eating makes your glucose levels rise? i havent really
been eating in a long time - atleast a week of mostly water.. i had two
meals this week b/c of stress - if i am type 2, what kind of damage am i
doing???? :(

--
_____________________________
This be Tia's SIG!!! YAY!

"None Given" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "tia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>

> roger, can you recommend a brand of testing meter and strips? omfg, i
> gotta
>> do the finger ***** thing? omfg... i never considered this before.. and
>> ****.. when do i tell my husband? bleh. do the cheap meters work as
>> well
>> as the not so cheap accuchek ones? why are they cheap - i dont want to

> buy
>> something like that twice.

> Wal-Mart's Relion brand is, I think, under $10. It's the strips that cost
> lot. I think Relion's are 50 for $22. Keep low carbing and exercising to
> minimize damage. It is also important for you to eat regularly, ex if I
> get
> up in the morning my BG will keep rising until I eat something. If I eat
> too little before I do a lot of physical work my BG will rise higher than
> if
> I just work at the computer on the same amount of food.
> One reason people with diabetes might have trouble losing weight is
> because
> some of the drugs can work against them, Metformin is an exception to
> that,
> it usually helps people lose. Another reason is a lot of people are on
> the
> ADA exchange diet which is way too carby for most of us, and the
> fluctuating
> BGs and insulin levels it causes make them feel like they're starving.
>
> --
> No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

i can not discuss it, but this is not a normal circumstance.

after we find out for sure, ill post why i might not have insurance. i
realize the benefits under normal circumstances ( i knew mentioning his
line of work was a mistake...)... but this is different. ill explain later.

its not that i dont appreciate the concern; in fact i do. but once you hear
what i have to say (after the fact) youll understand it a bit more.

-tia

--
_____________________________
This be Tia's SIG!!! YAY!

"louisejoi" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "tia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:D[email protected]...
>> i covered this earlier but we have a situation where i might not be

> covered
>> the way most spouses are. i cant go into because of confidentiality (as
>> well as it being personal) but today actually im probably going to find

> out
>> something about that. once i know something i can answer your question
>> better, but i have to prepare for not having insurance.

> If your husband is active duty military, you are his legal spouse, you
> are
> entitled to medical care, no ifs ands or buts about it. That's the law
> and
> anyone who says otherwise, whether it is someone telling you, or you
> making
> things up here under the cloak of "confidentiality" is simply not telling
> the truth. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and advise you to seek
> advice about your medical coverage elsewhere. I don't post here often,
> but
> trust me, I know these things and you are completely wrong on this. And
> it
> could have a disastrous impact on your health.
>
> --
> Best wishes,
> Louise
>
> Type 2 since 2000
> Controlling by exercise and diet

"tia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> i can not discuss it, but this is not a normal circumstance.

Tia, there's only one abnormal circumstance why your husband could be on
"active duty" and you, as his legal wife, not be entitled to medical care.
I know what that is, I almost put it in my previous post, but I won't
mention it here. Your husband and anyone who has been in the military
should know what it is. I hope *you* know what it *really* is. My
instincts tell me that there's something fishy here and you may not know the
whole truth, or you are choosing to ignore some important stuff. You may
have even bigger problems than your diabetes. I wish you well.

--
Best wishes,
Louise

Type 2 since 2000
Controlling by exercise and diet

"tia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> honestly, ketosticks arent much more expensive, so $22 for 50 isnt all
> THAT bad... it depends how many times a day id need to test and all
> that...
>
> you say that not eating makes your glucose levels rise? i havent really
> been eating in a long time - atleast a week of mostly water.. i had two
> meals this week b/c of stress - if i am type 2, what kind of damage am i
> doing???? :(

Don't get stressed about it! : ) Nibbling small bites when you can during
the day will be fine. Low carb is a damn good way of controlling diabetes,
so you're not going to be doing extra damage whilst you mark time until you
and your husband can get home.

Once you are, and you've got your insurance sorted, you're probably going to
want to test a LOT to begin with, because you need to build up a database of
how different meals and food combos affect you. I did 11x per day for a
couple of months; now I test on new foods, before eating and 1 and 2 hours
after.

Whilst you're twiddling your thumbs, try Gretchen Becker's book Type 2
Diabetes; The First Year - it wouldn't surprise me if the hospital library
(if there is one) has a copy.

Then come over to alt.support.diabetes too : )

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/4.5/<6 Weight 95/78/72Kg
1g Metformin, 87.5ug Thyroxine