DIABETIC

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 12:08:54 -0600, zxcvbob <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Sharon and Ernest in Florida wrote:
>
>> I DO NOT MEAN TO BE RUDE BUT I AM LEGALLY BLIND AND HAVE TO TYPE IN CAPS TO SEE IT. SO NOT ALL OF
>> US DO IT TO BE RUDE SOME JUST HAVE TO
>>

>Try typing in mixed case using a very large font. I think you will find it's easier for you to
>read. You should be able to set your newsreader to display plain text in any size you want, making
>it easier to read people's replies as well as your own typing.
>
>Best regards, Bob

i can't believe how many people want her to alter her methods for their own preferences of
readability. as to how she gets her responses, presumably she's got that worked out.

your pal, blake

blake murphy wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 12:08:54 -0600, zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Sharon and Ernest in Florida wrote:
>>

>>>I DO NOT MEAN TO BE RUDE BUT I AM LEGALLY BLIND AND HAVE TO TYPE IN CAPS TO SEE IT. SO NOT ALL OF
>>>US DO IT TO BE RUDE SOME JUST HAVE TO
>>>

>>Try typing in mixed case using a very large font. I think you will find it's easier for you to
>>read. You should be able to set your newsreader to display plain text in any size you want, making
>>it easier to read people's replies as well as your own typing.
>>
>>Best regards, Bob
>

> i can't believe how many people want her to alter her methods for their own preferences of
> readability. as to how she gets her responses, presumably she's got that worked out.
>
> your pal, blake

I don't care if she alters her methods or not. I was suggesting a way she might not have tried yet.

Offering unsolicited advice is a character flaw of mine.

Bob

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 18:02:33 GMT, blake murphy <[email protected]>
wrote:

>i can't believe how many people want her to alter her methods for their own preferences of
>readability. as to how she gets her responses, presumably she's got that worked out.

Well, the usual response to an all-caps posting is a polite reminder that it's considered rude and
looks like shouting. I don't think many wanted to *convert* the OP as to question exactly *why* all-
caps were the only way she (he?) could communicate. We came up with many points of discussion and
the OP never returned. Has he/she an audible reader for newsgroups? (Good golly -- wonder how they
translate some signatures! Not to mention misspellings.) This *can't* be the first time for the
poster that the all-caps flag has been raised. "I'm handicapped; I can only type in all caps" seems
to require explication. Now Archie the cockroach could only use lower case for a clearly explained
reason. I accepted *that* at once. It was a little harder to read, but the prose was well worth the
effort. :)

In article <[email protected]>, blake murphy
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 12:08:54 -0600, zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:

> >Try typing in mixed case using a very large font. I think you will find it's easier for you to
> >read. You should be able to set your newsreader to display plain text in any size you want,
> >making it easier to read people's replies as well as your own typing.

> i can't believe how many people want her to alter her methods for their own preferences of
> readability. as to how she gets her responses, presumably she's got that worked out.

She's having a problem. People are trying to help her. The messages are all sent out using plain
text. The font size can be adjusted by each person (unless they have a dumb terminal) for their own
preferences. I don't see all that well myself, but I get close to the screen and wear magnifying
glasses so I use 9 point Monaco and it works fine for me.

--
Dan Abel Sonoma State University AIS [email protected]

blake murphy wrote:

> i can't believe how many people want her to alter her methods for their own preferences of
> readability. as to how she gets her responses, presumably she's got that worked out.

Hey, all I did was ask the obvious question. I was just curious.

nancy

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 18:37:47 GMT, Frogleg <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 18:02:33 GMT, blake murphy <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>i can't believe how many people want her to alter her methods for their own preferences of
>>readability. as to how she gets her responses, presumably she's got that worked out.
>
>Well, the usual response to an all-caps posting is a polite reminder that it's considered rude and
>looks like shouting. I don't think many wanted to *convert* the OP as to question exactly *why* all-
>caps were the only way she (he?) could communicate. We came up with many points of discussion and
>the OP never returned. Has he/she an audible reader for newsgroups? (Good golly -- wonder how they
>translate some signatures! Not to mention misspellings.) This *can't* be the first time for the
>poster that the all-caps flag has been raised. "I'm handicapped; I can only type in all caps" seems
>to require explication. Now Archie the cockroach could only use lower case for a clearly explained
>reason. I accepted *that* at once. It was a little harder to read, but the prose was well worth the
>effort. :)

there was a blind participant in an e-mail list i'm on, and, yes, she had software that would try to
render the typewritten words to speech. i regret to say that not many people did much to accommodate
her, but she held her own.

your pal, blake

Julia Altshuler saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told
us all about it on Tue, 03 Feb 2004 15:46:18 GMT:

>I've known a few blind people over the course of my life. Their typing has been perfect
>including capitals, lower case, punctuation, the works. Since a computer designed for the blind
>can make the typeface any size, I don't understand how all caps could be easier. (I believe what
>you say; I'm just trying to puzzle this out.) Special computers can also raise dots in a way for
>reading Braille. Still, the bottom line is that no one has to read anything they don't want to.
>I can't stand

And I've known several visually impaired people who are NOT totally blind but have very poor vision
and they find the all-caps a lot easier to read. One person could only handwrite in large capital
letters... so it's not hard to imagine somebody who is used to the caps using them on the keyboard.
Of course, somebody who is computer-literate and sight-impaired knows that you can fiddle with the
settings of your monitor to make it display in extra-large... but not everyone IS computer-
literate. You don't have to be a genius to use a computer... I think it's all a question of what
you're used to.

Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Barry Grau) wrote in news:[email protected]:

...cut

> > I believe that there is serious refereed published research which indicates that, at least for
> > normally sighted people, mixed case is easier to read because the ascenders and descenders
> > create a kind of envelope that helps the reader predict what a word will be before he actually
> > focuses on it. Similarly, text printed with a ragged right margin is easier to read than right
> > justified text.

...cut

> I don't disagree with anything that anyone has said here to either prove or rationalize that
> mixed case is easier to read. That said, however, only the OP knows what she can read and work
> with best.
>
> Wayne

Yes, of course you're correct. When I posted that I hadn't read the original posting. I also limited
my remarks to "normally sighted people."

-bwg

In article <_9ZTb.171552$5V2.871203@attbi_s53>, Julia Altshuler
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > No, I understand that, Dan. My point was, how are they able to read what we write, yet are
> > unable to read their own typing unless it is in caps.

Nancy has a good point, which I didn't understand at first. Still, perhaps her typing in upper case
does help her, and we're just missing the rest of the story.

> This was my point as well. If you can learn to touch type, you can learn to touch type caps and
> lower case appropriately. If you can read answers with both, you can type with both and read what
> you've written. Software that helps people who have no vision or low vision exists and isn't that
> hard to find. Has anyone noticed that the

But can it be installed in a WebTV box? I doubt it.

> original poster dropped out long ago? I'd love to have the answers from the one person who can
> explain the mystery.

That's very true. We just don't know the story.

--
Dan Abel Sonoma State University AIS [email protected]