diagnosis: rheumatic fever will I ever do triathlons again?

Mike Lana

Guest
I have been laid up for the last three weeks. Originally I was diagnosed with mono. Then after
things did not add up and 10 tubes of blood and a thought culture later I find out its a cousin of
rheumatic fever. I guess I had strep and never knew it. They injected this penicillin that looked
more like Crisco into my but and gave me a whole lot more antibiotics. I am really concerned with
heart valve defects from this. My doctor is going to check in a 2 weeks. Has anyone else had this? I
am afraid of it ending tri's for me. Thanks Mike [email protected]

"Mike Lana" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have been laid up for the last three weeks. Originally I was diagnosed with mono. Then after
> things did not add up and 10 tubes of blood and a thought culture later I find out its a cousin of
> rheumatic fever. I guess I had strep and never knew it. They injected this penicillin that looked
> more like Crisco into my but and gave me a whole lot more antibiotics. I am really concerned with
> heart valve defects from this. My doctor is going to check in a 2 weeks. Has anyone else had this?
> I am afraid of it ending tri's for me.

Mike, sadly, if you have had rheumatic fever I think you may be correct. However, get as many
opinions as you can on this. Individual cardiologists are not infallible - they're human - so don't
assume that a 'yes' or a 'no' from one is good or bad. As a ex-doctor, I'm aware that doctors are
frequently reluctant to go against the opinion of a colleague in the same field, so do everything
you can do to ensure you get a *completely* honest opinion. I'd be looking for a minimum of three
opinions before you should feel comfortable making a final decision.

Fingers crossed that you had a mild dose, and that any valve damage is temporary. The very best of
luck to you.

Roger.