Dialight Green LED Traffic Light / Headlight

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Doug Goncz, Mar 15, 2004.

  1. Doug Goncz

    Doug Goncz Guest

    Just in from Ebay:

    Part Number: 443-2270-001A, Rated Voltage: 120, Power
    comsumption 18 Max, Volt-Amperes: 17.6, meets or exceeds ITE
    VTSCH Part 2 specifications, meets FCC Title 47, Sub. B.
    Section 15.

    Beam is 2x4 feet at 6 feet from lens face. 12 inch diameter,
    1/4 x 1/4 inch rim, gasket fits 3/8 inch gap with some
    force, might fill 7/16 inch. Gasket available from J.C.
    Whitney in 1/16 to 1/4 size with or without integral fill
    bar. Separate fill bar available in black or chrome. Mueller
    fairing about 1/16 inch or less thick in the nose, where the
    bubble blows out.

    I hope to install this on my Thunderbolt, but probably
    cannot afford the fairing, so I'll copy this to Ebay some
    day and note here.

    Any ideas?

    The lights seem to be filtered white LEDs so if there is a
    legal objection to showing a green light front, I can part
    off the lens on a 12 inch lathe and remove the green filter.
    I'd get more light that way, too. Front lens is clear.

    For best efficiency I'll need a small inverter, not the 140
    W unit I have. I have to test this on inverter power. Could
    that damage it? Probably not, because the long life LED is
    an asset in mobile traffic control stations powered by
    generators and inverters.

    It's welded shut.

    The wires are three feet long, brown and white, and I
    connected the white one to the hot lead on the extension
    cord for a total of 6 feet of plug in length. I used crimp
    splices (butt connectors).

    The case is vented with a 1/8 inch hole recessed in a 1/4
    inch hole, positioned horizontally about 1/3 of the way up
    on the right side.

    I can mount it for a tall or for a wide beam pattern by
    rotating it 90 degrees.

    It's exciting to own one. Loads of fun.

    Oh, what the hell, let me pry at the weld and see if it'll
    let go....

    You know, this might work. It might be siliconed.

    Whopee! Broke the seal. Hiss.....

    Thank God I started at dead bottom. I cracked it.

    See you tomorrow, I am taking a break!

    My physics project at NVCC: Google Groups, then
    "dgoncz" and some of: ultracapacitor bicycle
    fluorescent flywheel inverter

    4-1-9 Fraud
    http://www.secretservice.gov/electronic_evidence.shtml

    Tags:

  2. Doug Goncz

    Doug Goncz Guest

    I have disassembled the sealed lens assembly.

    It consists of an inner Fresnel lens, which I broke a
    little, about a half inch triangular chip, and an outer beam
    refining diffuser made of textures on the order of 1/16 inch
    radius and 1/4 inch spacing.

    With only the Fresnel in place, the 12 green phosphor LEDs
    provide a slightly irregular but highly defined beam
    pattern, much brighter than the unmodified beam. You can see
    each LED when you look at the light in this configuration,
    but not with the diffuser in place. At 8 feet, the spread is
    3 feet, while, remeasuring, with the diffuser, the beam is
    indefinite. So my estimate of a spread of 2 x 4 feet at 6
    feet is imprecise. It's a horizontal band. It was a
    different setup.

    I think with the addition of a little holographic diffuser
    film on a frame or plate above the LEDs the light would be
    useful as a headlight. You need 120 V to run the circuit
    board inside, but there's a patch to the LED board, so I
    wonder what voltages are on that 4 wire patch:

    I'll report on that later.

    The LED and circuit boards do warm up noticeably during
    operation.

    My physics project at NVCC: Google Groups, then
    "dgoncz" and some of: ultracapacitor bicycle
    fluorescent flywheel inverter

    4-1-9 Fraud
    http://www.secretservice.gov/electronic_evidence.shtml

  3. Zeeexsixare

    Zeeexsixare Guest

    " Doug Goncz " <[email protected]> wrote in message

    Are you on the right newsgroup?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training