Dialing in a/my new mtb.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Rock Creek Rider, May 3, 2019.

1. Rock Creek Rider

Rock Creek Rider New Member

I've recently come to the realization that I'm looking at MTB fit from a roadies perspective. This isn't necessarily bad for me, or a lot of others. I don't plan on doing anything too technical. I'm, officially, a senior citizen now, I had open heart surgery in November, and a few winters ago I had rotator cuff surgery and surgery to reattach my triceps muscle to my elbow (neither were cycling injuries). PT for the elbow surgery made PT for the shoulder surgery seem like pure joy. I don't want to risk messing up anything else.
    I recently purchased a new Trek Procaliber 9.6. Before even taking it home, I had them replace the grips with Bontrager ergonomic grips, similar to Ergon. You have to get them adjusted just right, but once you do they make long rides a lot easier on your hands.
    When I got it home I installed some Deore XT trail pedals.
    About a month later, I had them install a SRAM oval (traction) chainring. I have mixed feelings about it. I do think it is better for climbing, but not so much for everything else. Might be a fair trade. Not sure yet.
    The bars it comes with are ridiculously wide. Last night I cut off 7/8ths from both sides. The tool to use for that is a pipe cutter. Much better than a hacksaw. Fit feels much better now.
    I think that a longer stem with more rise might be a good change, but I'm holding off on that for now. I took a long ride this morning and it feels pretty good. Maybe not perfect, but very acceptable.

Tags: