Diamond back Racing

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by trek-man, Sep 19, 2005.

  1. trek-man

    trek-man New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2005
    Are diamond back racing bikes reputable, ive never had any experience of them but the price tag on the one i looked at today would seem to indicate reasonable quality. It had a mix of Tiagra and 105 components. Carbon forks but not stays. What are your thoughts?

    Tags:

  2. dtmeister

    dtmeister Guest

    trek-man <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Are diamond back racing bikes reputable, ive never had any experience of
    > them but the price tag on the one i looked at today would seem to
    > indicate reasonable quality. It had a mix of Tiagra and 105 components.
    > Carbon forks but not stays. What are your thoughts?

    :) See my sig. Actually, I'm really not sure who DiamondBack are these
    days...My old steel Diamond Back (they used to be separate words) was
    made by Centurion, who changed their name to Diamond Back due to legal
    issues with the name that was shared by a tire company. Their website is
    confusing as it doesn't seem to list the various models that seem to be
    available in Australia. They seem to be more of a MTB company these
    days, although I have seen a CF DiamondBack in the LBS, so they do also
    make the high end stuff.

    I have a fairly recent DiamondBack model, the lowest in the range. It
    was worth around $700 new. It's a Sora groupset although the derailer
    is actually '2200' which is even lower than Sora.

    It's quite heavy for an Alu bike, probably the same weight as my old
    steel bike. Aside from that, it's been great. I've ridden it through two
    wet winters with minimal maintenance. It's still smooth and quiet. The
    frame is very well finished, I'd have to admit it's better finished
    than my Trek which cost quite a bit more.

    --
    ..dt
    1996 Diamond Back 'Expert Tg' Roadie (7spd DT shifters, favourite bike!)

  3. Poiter

    Poiter New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2003
    I bought a DBR "Vertex" MTB in 1984. Aluminium frame.
    It's still going strong even though it's a bit like Grandpa's axe.
    Let's see: cranks, BB, seatpost, headset and derailleurs are all original.
    Pete

  4. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    dtmeister wrote:
    > trek-man <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > Are diamond back racing bikes reputable, ive never had any experience of
    > > them but the price tag on the one i looked at today would seem to
    > > indicate reasonable quality. It had a mix of Tiagra and 105 components.
    > > Carbon forks but not stays. What are your thoughts?

    > :) See my sig. Actually, I'm really not sure who DiamondBack are these
    > days...My old steel Diamond Back (they used to be separate words) was
    > made by Centurion, who changed their name to Diamond Back due to legal
    > issues with the name that was shared by a tire company. Their website is
    > confusing as it doesn't seem to list the various models that seem to be
    > available in Australia. They seem to be more of a MTB company these
    > days, although I have seen a CF DiamondBack in the LBS, so they do also
    > make the high end stuff.

    They're Repco or Pacific Dunlop's high end brand name. Who makes 'em?
    Who knows?!

  5. trek-man

    trek-man New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2005
    Groovy, its seems to me like they are mainly a MTB builder that is maybe dangling their toes in the roadie world. The frame seems nice enough and is alloy, at least the size and geometry seem about right. It has a sexy arse set of carbon forks on it and is slightly cheap in my mind for the groupset its offered with. I didnt pay close attention to the wheels though. Damn i guess i'll just have to go and dribble on it some more.:p

  6. On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 18:40:32 +1000, trek-man wrote:

    > Are diamond back racing bikes reputable, ive never had any experience of
    > them but the price tag on the one i looked at today would seem to
    > indicate reasonable quality. It had a mix of Tiagra and 105 components.
    > Carbon forks but not stays. What are your thoughts?

    A friend rode a Tiagra-level alloy Diamondback for about three years and
    never had any trouble with it.