Diamondback Podium

stucey

Dec 8, 2003
Can't get much info on this bike on the web. Anyone know much about this brand. I was thinking of getting a Giant OCR1 ($1,649), but the diamondback seems to be good competition. Just can't find out much about it. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

DIAMONDBACK Podium Road Bike
Was $1820 - Now Only $1499

Lightweight Alloy Triple butted 7005 Compact frame
Carbon Oversized forks
Low maintenace integrated headset
Lightweight alloy handlebars and A-head Stem
Full Shimano 105 Groupset
Lightweight Shimano WHR-500 wheelset

I reckon most of the cheap aluminium bikes in that price range are pretty much the same. I could probably name a dozen brands that are almost identical, such as Avanti, Merida, Norco, Giant, Diamondback, Allegro, Gitane, Cytek, Felt, GT, Raceline and Raleigh. They all put out cheap alu frames with the different Shimano group-sets (Merida, Norco, Cytek and Felt also do some better stuff), and "whatever" wheels (often Ritcheys).

If you wanna stay in this price bracket, just go for the one that looks the best and is the best deal.

Or.......:p ..... you could go up 300 to 500 bucks, which gets you a similar bike but a "better" name, such as Trek, Fuji, Specialized, LeMond, and maybe a cheap Bianchi, cheap Scott or cheap Orbea.

It the Diamndback is full Shimano 105 (many bikes in this price range have cheaper brakes calipers and/or cranks), then it's a reasonable price, but I occasionally hear of 105 equipped bikes such as Gitanes (similar bike) going for 1200 or 1300 bucks!

A full 105 group-set (excluding hubs) go for about $1000, so 600 or so bucks for the wheels, frame and everything else is, like I said, reasonable.
http://www.cecilwalker.com.au/category83_1.htm

Thanks Aussie.

Anyone else have one of these bikes or had a ride of one?

531Aussie said:
I reckon most of the cheap aluminium bikes in that price range are pretty much the same. I could probably name a dozen brands that are almost identical, such as Avanti, Merida, Norco, Giant, Diamondback, Allegro, Gitane, Cytek, Felt, GT, Raceline and Raleigh. They all put out cheap alu frames with the different Shimano group-sets (Merida, Norco, Cytek and Felt also do some better stuff), and "whatever" wheels (often Ritcheys).

If you wanna stay in this price bracket, just go for the one that looks the best and is the best deal.

Or.......:p ..... you could go up 300 to 500 bucks, which gets you a similar bike but a "better" name, such as Trek, Fuji, Specialized, LeMond, and maybe a cheap Bianchi, cheap Scott or cheap Orbea.

It the Diamndback is full Shimano 105 (many bikes in this price range have cheaper brakes calipers and/or cranks), then it's a reasonable price, but I occasionally hear of 105 equipped bikes such as Gitanes (similar bike) going for 1200 or 1300 bucks!

A full 105 group-set (excluding hubs) go for about $1000, so 600 or so bucks for the wheels, frame and everything else is, like I said, reasonable.
http://www.cecilwalker.com.au/category83_1.htm
omg you cant be serious ?

pft buy the giant, diamondback road bikes ride like ****

between the brands theres a heap of difference in the feel of the ride (because of geometry, flexability etc)

also brands like diamondback tend to play the rear deralleur game etc, like have a real good rear deralleur and screw the rest because its what most people will look at

to me the most important thing when buying a road bike is the frame (i think youll find the diamondback is a really stiff, harsh ride) then the wheels and THEn components

not that i really look around for bikes, i work in a shop that deals giant and im getting a TCR1 in about a week

but whatever...

moparchris said:
omg you cant be serious ?

I should've said, but I meant the "value" of all those cheap frames.
Call me a snob, but surely they're all as cheap and nasty each other? :p
Don't most of them just use generic 7003 or 7005?

I suppose you could argue that if one rides a bit better than another, then it's more valuable, but..........