Diamondback Topanga---Opinions??

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Snyperx, May 13, 2003.

  1. Snyperx

    Snyperx Guest

    Hey all!! I found another bike I am interested in and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on
    it?? I am looking at the Diamondback Topanga. It seems to have a littel better components than other
    bikes in the $500 price range. Most of the the items are Shimano LX compnents. Other bikes I have
    looked at in this price range come with the Shimano Alivio components. Any thoughts, comments, or
    suggestions?? I am getting back into Mt. biking after a lonf hiatus, and am not all up to par on all
    the brands and components out there. Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Snyperx wrote:
    > Hey all!! I found another bike I am interested in and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on
    > it?? I am looking at the Diamondback Topanga. It seems to have a littel better components than
    > other bikes in the $500 price range. Most of the the items are Shimano LX compnents. Other bikes I
    > have looked at in this price range come with the Shimano Alivio components. Any thoughts,
    > comments, or suggestions?? I am getting back into Mt. biking after a lonf hiatus, and am not all
    > up to par on all the brands and components out there. Thanks.

    There's a reason that it's got better components - all the savings were made by hanging them on a
    cheap-ass frame.

  3. Nate

    Nate Guest

    "Snyperx" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hey all!! I found another bike I am interested in and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on
    > it?? I am looking at the Diamondback Topanga. It seems to have a littel better components than
    > other bikes in the $500 price range. Most of the the items are Shimano LX compnents. Other bikes I
    > have looked at in this price range come with the Shimano Alivio components. Any thoughts,
    > comments, or suggestions?? I am getting back into Mt. biking after a lonf hiatus, and am not all
    > up to par on all the brands and components out there. Thanks.

    Depending on the riding you plan on doing, I may reccommend the Giant Iguana Disc. For $529 at
    Performance bike shop, it seems to be a decent deal.

    Nate

  4. "Snyperx" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey all!! I found another bike I am interested in and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on
    > it?? I am looking at the Diamondback Topanga. It seems to have a littel better components than
    > other bikes in the $500 price range. Most of the the items are Shimano LX compnents. Other bikes
    > have looked at in this price range come with the Shimano Alivio
    components.
    > Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions?? I am getting back into Mt.
    biking
    > after a lonf hiatus, and am not all up to par on all the brands and components out there. Thanks.

    My first MTB was a Topanga. This was a rigid fork job. It was indestructible. In the $500 range, you
    won't do much better. They've changed quite a few things since then, but I would still recommend the
    bike. The frame is good and the components are great. Excellent entry level bike.

  5. bostarob

    bostarob New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2003
    It's specs are almost identical to the raleigh M80 disc 2003. Take a look. And is it really a "cheap ass frame?" Is this fact, or speculation?
    -andy

  6. bostarob

    bostarob New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2003
  7. Joeb327

    Joeb327 Guest

    I purchased 2 Topanga Comp Discs this summer (for wife and myself). I couldn't find a better value
    out there. The Raleigh and Diamondback are made in the same factory and one company owns the other
    (don't remember which owns which). The M80 fork has a 80mm travel and the DB has 100mm of fork
    travel. The only other difference is the routing of the cable guides on the top tube, on the M80
    they are on the bottom and the DB has them on the top. Can't tell you if it is a "cheap ass frame"
    or not, as I don't do 10 foot vert drops or do any "extreme" riding. The frame does seem solid and I
    am unable to feel any BB or chain stay flexing under a hard load. I think you have to accept the
    bike for what it is: a good value, entry level "mountain" bike. If you think you need more frame and
    components you need to spend more dollars. Bottom line, I like to ride and maintain my bike. I don't
    need a all out race or full suspension ride and the DB fit the bill. Joe B.