Diamondback Topanga---Opinions??

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Snyperx

Hey all!! I found another bike I am interested in and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on
it?? I am looking at the Diamondback Topanga. It seems to have a littel better components than other
bikes in the $500 price range. Most of the the items are Shimano LX compnents. Other bikes I have
looked at in this price range come with the Shimano Alivio components. Any thoughts, comments, or
suggestions?? I am getting back into Mt. biking after a lonf hiatus, and am not all up to par on all
the brands and components out there. Thanks.

Snyperx wrote:
> Hey all!! I found another bike I am interested in and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on
> it?? I am looking at the Diamondback Topanga. It seems to have a littel better components than
> other bikes in the $500 price range. Most of the the items are Shimano LX compnents. Other bikes I
> have looked at in this price range come with the Shimano Alivio components. Any thoughts,
> comments, or suggestions?? I am getting back into Mt. biking after a lonf hiatus, and am not all
> up to par on all the brands and components out there. Thanks.

There's a reason that it's got better components - all the savings were made by hanging them on a
cheap-ass frame.

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm

b.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

"Snyperx" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hey all!! I found another bike I am interested in and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on
> it?? I am looking at the Diamondback Topanga. It seems to have a littel better components than
> other bikes in the $500 price range. Most of the the items are Shimano LX compnents. Other bikes I
> have looked at in this price range come with the Shimano Alivio components. Any thoughts,
> comments, or suggestions?? I am getting back into Mt. biking after a lonf hiatus, and am not all
> up to par on all the brands and components out there. Thanks.

Depending on the riding you plan on doing, I may reccommend the Giant Iguana Disc. For $529 at
Performance bike shop, it seems to be a decent deal.

Nate

"Snyperx" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> other bikes in the $500 price range. Most of the the items are Shimano LX compnents. Other bikes
I
> have looked at in this price range come with the Shimano Alivio
components.
> Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions?? I am getting back into Mt.
biking
> after a lonf hiatus, and am not all up to par on all the brands and components out there. Thanks.
>
>

My first MTB was a Topanga. This was a rigid fork job. It was indestructible. In the $500 range, you
won't do much better. They've changed quite a few things since then, but I would still recommend the
bike. The frame is good and the components are great. Excellent entry level bike.

It's specs are almost identical to the raleigh M80 disc 2003. Take a look. And is it really a "cheap ass frame?" Is this fact, or speculation?
-andy

I purchased 2 Topanga Comp Discs this summer (for wife and myself). I couldn't find a better value
out there. The Raleigh and Diamondback are made in the same factory and one company owns the other
(don't remember which owns which). The M80 fork has a 80mm travel and the DB has 100mm of fork
travel. The only other difference is the routing of the cable guides on the top tube, on the M80
they are on the bottom and the DB has them on the top. Can't tell you if it is a "cheap ass frame"
or not, as I don't do 10 foot vert drops or do any "extreme" riding. The frame does seem solid and I
am unable to feel any BB or chain stay flexing under a hard load. I think you have to accept the
bike for what it is: a good value, entry level "mountain" bike. If you think you need more frame and
components you need to spend more dollars. Bottom line, I like to ride and maintain my bike. I don't
need a all out race or full suspension ride and the DB fit the bill. Joe B.

>It's specs are almost identical to the raleigh M80 disc 2003. Take a look. And is it really a
>"cheap ass frame?" Is this fact, or speculation? -andy

Status
Not open for further replies.