Hello,
I have an opportunity to get a DB Wildwood City (steel) for a good price. 09 Model, new. I'm new, and will be riding on weekends, just for recreation and exercise. I need nothing fancy. Does anyone know the weight difference between the steel vs aluminum frame? I don't care about speed, I'm 60 yrs old, been there done that. Just riding, that's it! Thank you in advance.
Bill
Bike Cafe · Public discussion
Diamondback Wildwood Citi
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Bike Cafe
- Published
- 11 February 2010
- Last activity
- 11 February 2010
- Original author
- bill in pa
- Posts
- 3
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 1,589
- Views / 30 days
- 0
- Topics
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
all i can do for help is post this Steel and Aluminum link where the first sentence states that "Aluminum in general is a third as light and half as strong as steel, or the inverse, steel is twice as strong but three times as heavy."
good luck.
-
bill in pa said:
I have an opportunity to get a DB Wildwood City (steel) for a good price. 09 Model, new. I'm new, and will be riding on weekends, just for recreation and exercise. I need nothing fancy. Does anyone know the weight difference between the steel vs aluminum frame? I don't care about speed, I'm 60 yrs old, been there done that. Just riding, that's it!
An aluminum frame will weigh about 2 lbs. less than a steel frame ...
There are other factors which will affect the final weight of the bike ... for example, steel chainrings vs. aluminum chainrings. So, the weight difference of a similar bike with an aluminum frame may be MORE THAN 2 lbs. when compared with the weight of the steel framed bike.
What is your idea of a "good price" for the particular bike? $150? $200? $300?
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.