Dick Pound vs. Don Cherry

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ryan Cousineau, Mar 18, 2006.

  1. Background: Don Cherry is the badly-dressed eminence grise of Canadian
    hockey commentators, and a former hockey coach of some repute.

    Right now, he is interviewing the hell out of Dick Pound, and telling
    him off about his notorious "one third of NHL players are on drugs."
    Dick says that the one-third number was the result of being pressured to
    pick a number in an interview. Note to Dick: you can _decline to pick
    one_.

    Dick says the drug of choice is stimulants, citing "Sudafed, caffeine,
    Red Bull...that sort of thing." Huh? He thinks hockey players are hopped
    up on soda pop? I guess you don't win the Stanley Cup on bread and water.

    Don says that by citing the one third figure, Dick effectively
    encouraged young hockey players to think that drug use was the norm.

    On the other hand, Dick didn't come off as a complete loose cannon. He
    says he wants the NHL's drug testing to conform to the WADA code (which
    I guess means the drug schedule, ability to test an virtually any time,
    and penalties). He spent most of the interview on the defensive, and did
    not act like a nut (though Cherry is, and I say this as a fan, a
    badly-dressed loudmouth; most people seem low-key beside him).

    I am inclined to ask: when will doping opponents get a better spokesman?

  2. alan_atwood

    alan_atwood Guest

    Coach's Corner was fabulous last night. Coach just stuck it to Poundy
    there -- made him look like a farce. When is Poundy going to realize
    that his preferred method of testing will never fly in North America;
    much less survive a challenge in a U.S. or Canadian courtroom.

    Alan

  3. "alan_atwood" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Coach's Corner was fabulous last night. Coach just stuck it to Poundy
    > there -- made him look like a farce. When is Poundy going to realize
    > that his preferred method of testing will never fly in North America;
    > much less survive a challenge in a U.S. or Canadian courtroom.

    Right, you can spout any kind of bullshit in Kanada, especially if
    you're a loudmouth like Cherry, and the rednecks will lap it up.

    --
    Le Vent à Dos, Davey Crockett - Actively Opposing Thought Crime
    Libérez Ingrid Betancourt, Clara Rojas et les autres

  4. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Davey Crockett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "alan_atwood" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> Coach's Corner was fabulous last night. Coach just stuck it to Poundy
    >> there -- made him look like a farce. When is Poundy going to realize
    >> that his preferred method of testing will never fly in North America;
    >> much less survive a challenge in a U.S. or Canadian courtroom.
    >>

    > Right, you can spout any kind of bullshit in Kanada, especially if
    > you're a loudmouth like Cherry, and the rednecks will lap it up.

    IIRC, there was a neo-Nazi (Kunich maybe?) in Ontario a few years back who
    was prosecuted for making anti-Semitic/racist statements. There apparently
    are limits to the bullshit Canadians will allow.

  5. "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> writes:

    > "Davey Crockett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > "alan_atwood" <[email protected]> writes:
    > >
    > >> Coach's Corner was fabulous last night. Coach just stuck it to Poundy
    > >> there -- made him look like a farce. When is Poundy going to realize
    > >> that his preferred method of testing will never fly in North America;
    > >> much less survive a challenge in a U.S. or Canadian courtroom.
    > >>

    > > Right, you can spout any kind of bullshit in Kanada, especially if
    > > you're a loudmouth like Cherry, and the rednecks will lap it up.

    > IIRC, there was a neo-Nazi (Kunich maybe?) in Ontario a few years back who
    > was prosecuted for making anti-Semitic/racist statements. There apparently
    > are limits to the bullshit Canadians will allow.

    You were probably thinking of Ernst Zundel, but he is certainly no
    neo-nazi

    --

  6. Ryan Cousineau wrote:
    > Background: Don Cherry is the badly-dressed eminence grise of Canadian
    > hockey commentators, and a former hockey coach of some repute.
    >
    > Right now, he is interviewing the hell out of Dick Pound, and telling
    > him off about his notorious "one third of NHL players are on drugs."
    > Dick says that the one-third number was the result of being pressured to
    > pick a number in an interview. Note to Dick: you can _decline to pick
    > one_.
    >
    > Dick says the drug of choice is stimulants, citing "Sudafed, caffeine,
    > Red Bull...that sort of thing." Huh? He thinks hockey players are hopped
    > up on soda pop? I guess you don't win the Stanley Cup on bread and water.
    >
    > Don says that by citing the one third figure, Dick effectively
    > encouraged young hockey players to think that drug use was the norm.
    >
    > On the other hand, Dick didn't come off as a complete loose cannon. He
    > says he wants the NHL's drug testing to conform to the WADA code (which
    > I guess means the drug schedule, ability to test an virtually any time,
    > and penalties). He spent most of the interview on the defensive, and did
    > not act like a nut (though Cherry is, and I say this as a fan, a
    > badly-dressed loudmouth; most people seem low-key beside him).
    >
    > I am inclined to ask: when will doping opponents get a better spokesman?

    I'm so disappointed; I thought this was going to be a musical thread.

    Steve

  7. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Davey Crockett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> "Davey Crockett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >> > Right, you can spout any kind of bullshit in Kanada, especially if
    >> > you're a loudmouth like Cherry, and the rednecks will lap it up.

    >> IIRC, there was a neo-Nazi (Kunich maybe?) in Ontario a few years back
    >> who
    >> was prosecuted for making anti-Semitic/racist statements. There
    >> apparently
    >> are limits to the bullshit Canadians will allow.
    >>

    > You were probably thinking of Ernst Zundel, but he is certainly no
    > neo-nazi

    That name is familiar. What was he saying that upset the authorities?

  8. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    I think this is the answer.
    http://www.adl.org/learn/Ext_US/zundel.asp?xpicked=2&item=zundel

  9. "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> writes:

    > > You were probably thinking of Ernst Zundel, but he is certainly no
    > > neo-nazi

    > That name is familiar. What was he saying that upset the authorities?

    He republished a pamphlet entitled "Did Six Million really Die" by
    Richard Verrall