Dick Ring Retires

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tritonrider, Sep 28, 2003.

  1. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    Sunday, September 28, 2003

    Well folks, Dick Ring has crossed the bike racing announcer’s finish line. During our phone
    conversation this evening Dick (who is e-mail challenged) asked me to inform the cycling community
    that he will not be announcing any races next summer. He has decided that after 40 years of weekends
    being “The Voice of New England Cycling”, he will be spending his future weekends biking,
    skating, golfing and watching races.

    In Dick’s words, “It has been a fantastic ride that took me through many picturesque towns and
    villages and along the highways and byways of New England. An activity that spanned 5 decades will
    leave me with many extraordinary memories. The remarkable friendships were kindled over that span of
    years will be cherished forever. As my era ends a new one begins. Thanks for me letting me part of
    your world, the world of championship bike racing.”

    I just got this on the USCF-NE list. We just worked the Bob Beal masters weekend with him. It was
    our privilege. When we first came back to the States with the kids, Dick was one of the first to
    introduce himself, offer good advice, and introduce us to a lot of really good people. We need more
    like him, but I'm not sure they're making them. Bill C

    Tags:

  2. "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Sunday, September 28, 2003
    >
    > Well folks, Dick Ring has crossed the bike racing announcer's finish line. During our phone
    > conversation this evening Dick (who is e-mail challenged) asked me to inform the cycling community
    > that he will not be announcing any races next summer. He has decided that after 40 years of
    > weekends being "The Voice of New England Cycling", he will be spending his future weekends biking,
    > skating, golfing and watching races.
    >
    > In Dick's words, "It has been a fantastic ride that took me through many picturesque towns and
    > villages and along the highways and byways of New England. An activity that spanned 5 decades will
    > leave me with many extraordinary memories. The remarkable friendships were kindled over that span
    > of years will be cherished forever. As my era ends a new one begins. Thanks for me letting me part
    > of your world, the world of championship bike racing."
    >

    > I just got this on the USCF-NE list. We just worked the Bob Beal masters weekend with him. It was
    > our privilege. When we first came back to the States with the kids, Dick was one of the first to
    > introduce himself, offer good advice, and introduce us to a lot of really good people. We need
    > more like him, but I'm not sure they're making them. Bill C

    You've got that right. As much as the cycling community will miss him, he more than deserves to say
    "It's time.". Hopefully the urge will get to him at some point next summer and he does a few cameos.

  3. GregR

    GregR Guest

    On 29 Sep 2003 01:34:56 GMT, [email protected] (TritonRider) wrote:

    >Sunday, September 28, 2003
    >

    >Well folks, Dick Ring has crossed the bike racing announcer’s finish line. During our phone
    >conversation this evening Dick (who is e-mail challenged) asked me to inform the cycling community
    >that he will not be announcing any races next summer. He has decided that after 40 years of
    >weekends being “The Voice of New England Cycling”, he will be spending his future weekends biking,
    >skating, golfing and watching races.

    Rumor is Ben Wa will be taking his place...

  4. patch70

    patch70 New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2003
    Messages:
    1,682
    :D

  5. patch70

    patch70 New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2003
    Messages:
    1,682
    I heard that there are some a$$holes are celebrating...

  6. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    >From: patch70 [email protected]

    >I heard that there are some a$$holes are celebrating...

    You can never overestimate the power of human stupidity. Dick isn't perfect. he's never met a name
    he couldn't mangle, but he laughs about it too, and does the best he can. Other than that, he knows
    just about everyone, and everything that's happened in NewEngland especially, for at least the last
    30 years. You see him getting respect from people like the McCormacks, Paul Curley, Tom Manion, Van
    Barres etc. you know the truth. Bill C

  7. GregR

    GregR Guest

    On 30 Sep 2003 00:19:36 GMT, [email protected] (TritonRider) wrote:

    >>From: patch70 [email protected]ums.com
    >
    >>I heard that there are some a$$holes are celebrating...
    >
    > You can never overestimate the power of human stupidity. Dick isn't perfect. he's never met a name
    > he couldn't mangle, but he laughs about it too, and does the best he can. Other than that, he
    > knows just about everyone, and everything that's happened in NewEngland especially, for at least
    > the last 30 years. You see him getting respect from people like the McCormacks, Paul Curley, Tom
    > Manion, Van Barres etc. you know the truth. Bill C

    I think you missed the pun...