dicks sporting goods

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Baz_drum, Jul 14, 2003.

  1. Baz_drum

    Baz_drum Guest

    I noticed that dick's sporting goods is selling Jeep moutain bikes. They look pretty decent to
    the cheapo Huffy/Mongoose stuff they usually sell. I'm trying to buy a bike from them cause a
    family member works there and I get a decent discount. Does Jeep make a good bike for
    "not-so-hardcore" riding?

    Ryan

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Baz_drum wrote:
    > I noticed that dick's sporting goods is selling Jeep moutain bikes. They look pretty decent to
    > the cheapo Huffy/Mongoose stuff they usually sell. I'm trying to buy a bike from them cause a
    > family member works there and I get a decent discount. Does Jeep make a good bike for
    > "not-so-hardcore" riding?

    Yeah, Jeep bikes are really great and are wonderfully light*

    * - Possible sarcasm

  3. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > Baz_drum wrote:
    > > I noticed that dick's sporting goods is selling Jeep moutain bikes. They look pretty decent to
    > > the cheapo Huffy/Mongoose stuff they usually sell.
    I'm
    > > trying to buy a bike from them cause a family member works there and I
    get a
    > > decent discount. Does Jeep make a good bike for "not-so-hardcore"
    riding?

    > Yeah, Jeep bikes are really great and are wonderfully light*
    >
    > * - Possible sarcasm

    Hehehe...I can see your eyes roll from here in Virginia.

    Mike

  4. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Baz_drum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I noticed that dick's sporting goods is selling Jeep moutain bikes. They look pretty decent to
    > the cheapo Huffy/Mongoose stuff they usually sell. I'm trying to buy a bike from them cause a
    > family member works there and I get a decent discount. Does Jeep make a good bike for
    > "not-so-hardcore" riding?

    Sounds about right because only true dicks would call those mountain bikes, let alone sell them.
    Yes, discount them.

    JD

  5. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Baz_drum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I noticed that dick's sporting goods is selling Jeep moutain bikes. They look pretty decent to the
    > cheapo Huffy/Mongoose stuff they usually sell.
    I'm
    > trying to buy a bike from them cause a family member works there and I get
    > decent discount. Does Jeep make a good bike for "not-so-hardcore" riding?

    Jeep is just a logo slapped on a cheap, heavy Chinese bike. From what I've seen, Dick's has
    *nothing* worth buying, except for miscellaneous accessories (they're open later than the bike shops
    around here). Dick's prices are high, their bikes are low-quality, and the mechanics are ignorant.
    What do you expect from a megastore? BTW: Do not be fooled by the perpetual "sale" prices at Dick's.
    It's a standard retail ruse.

    Go to a real bike shop, and look at real bikes from Trek, Giant, Kona, Fisher, Specialized, etc. You
    won't spend any more at a bike shop, and you'll get a *lot* more quality, fit and service. That is
    what you want, especially if you're doing more than toodling along the bike paths once a month. If
    you do spend more, you'll get a bike that will last a very long time, and a dealer who will stand
    behind it.

    -Barry

  6. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | "Baz_drum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | > I noticed that dick's sporting goods is selling Jeep moutain bikes. They look pretty decent to
    | > the cheapo Huffy/Mongoose stuff they usually sell.
    | I'm
    | > trying to buy a bike from them cause a family member works there and I
    get
    | > decent discount. Does Jeep make a good bike for "not-so-hardcore"
    riding?

    | Jeep is just a logo slapped on a cheap, heavy Chinese bike. From what I've seen, Dick's has
    | *nothing* worth buying, except for miscellaneous accessories (they're open later than the bike
    | shops around here). Dick's prices are high, their bikes are low-quality, and the mechanics are
    | ignorant. What do you expect from a megastore? BTW: Do not be fooled by the perpetual "sale"
    | prices at Dick's. It's a standard retail ruse.
    |
    | Go to a real bike shop, and look at real bikes from Trek, Giant, Kona, Fisher, Specialized, etc.
    | You won't spend any more at a bike shop, and you'll get a *lot* more quality, fit and service.
    | That is what you want, especially if you're doing more than toodling along the bike paths once a
    | month. If you do spend more, you'll get a bike that will last a very long time, and a dealer who
    | will stand behind it.

    I recently responded to a guy on a local BBS who bought a mid priced (his words - a $300 something
    bike) bike at Dick's. Found first that they would not let him have a boxed bike (nothing wrong
    there - I'm required to sell my bikes only in built-up form) but in the parking lot, he finds the
    thing won't work right. Takes it back in and is told he has to leave it, as the "Technician"
    (oddball names for common jobs is another rant of mine - I'm a mechanic! or a Wrench) wouldn't be
    in that day. A WEEK later he gets it back and gets out on the trail to discover the stem wasn't
    tightened properly.

    He took it back and had such a fight with them he ended up complaining to BBB. Then he shows up at
    my shop and buys a 10x better bike for $50 less.

    Dick's bikes suck. I've seen Walgeese better put together. Their selection of clothing is
    uninspiring. Their people are surly. They recently sold some unknown brand MTB for $40 at a tent
    sale. Dammit, I can't even get people to get their bikes fixed any more because it costs more than
    buying another hunk of junk!

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 7/10/2003