did any of you hears this ??

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by claggy, Jul 17, 2003.

1. claggy

claggy New Member

just reading the news on cycling news and in an interview with laurent dufaux it said:

Dufaux about the rumour Tyler Hamilton was only pretending his pain: "These people (saying this) are not in the peloton. I see him suffer each time he lifts his right arm. Those who distrust his courage don't really know who we riders are. We go to the end of our power before giving up."

hadnt heard about those rumours but how ridiculous is that ?they guy has broken his collarbone ffs.

Tags:

2. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

You could see the bloke was in pain each time he attacked on the way up Alpe d'Huez, Í havent heard about that rumour either btw!

cheers

3. Mouse Potato

Mouse Potato New Member

I haven't heard it from any reputable sources, but I saw at least one person saying that on BBC Sport/Cycling's Have Your Say on Cycling page last night. This one hasn't scrolled off that page yet:

The also have a Sean Yates Q&A page up at the moment, and he refers to it too:

Unfortunately there are some people who think that just because they don't have the capacity for something, whether it's courage or compassion or open mindedness or whatever, nobody else can either. They're usually the people with less-than-average capacity to start with, too. :mad:

As for me, I am basically in awe of Tyler's efforts this Tour and think a Superman outfit would be more suitable than CSC kit. Hell, the "mild-mannered" part even fits. Although CSC kit is way cooler than wearing red undies on the outside of one's pants. :D

4. Mouse Potato

Mouse Potato New Member

Pulled this (typos and all) off VeloNews' Stage 11 Live Coverage page:

It probably has been blown out of proportion -- it wouldn't be the first time the media's done that, would it? -- but I really don't think it's bad for cycling. I hadn't heard anyone mention drug-taking speculation before, and only a few suggestions about "faking it". To me it seems like there's lots of good publicity -- everybody loves a hero and all that -- and somewhat more interest in cycling than I remember during last year's TdF. What do you think?

And if Hamilton wants to stay in the race and risk more severe damage to his shoulder, that's his business and I don't think there's anything wrong with the decision as long as he's not endangering others. Certainly if somebody told me I shouldn't do something I really wanted to do, even if that person was somebody who by conventional wisdom should be listened to, I'd do it (have done it) anyway. (I'd actually be more likely to do it, just to stick it to them. :D)

5. i2ambler

i2ambler New Member

People tend to forget that Hamilton 'fractured' his collarbone in 2 places. It is not broken. There /IS/ a difference. with a fracture the bone is not completely separated, and heals fairly quickly. A fully broken collarbone is NASTY and you couldnt move your arm, let alone operate a bicycle. Believe me, if his collarbone was BROKEN, he would not be riding around. The press blew this out of proportion when they say 'his collarbone is BROKEN and he is still riding!' That, is misinformation.

I heard a quote from tyler 'If people cant see from my Xray that I have 2 fractures, then I can refer them to a good eye doctor'

6. claggy

claggy New Member

this is from cycling news

Riis bothered by speculation. Team CSC director Bjarne Riis has vented his frustrations concerning allegations by some that Tyler Hamilton's collarbone is not actually fractured following his stage 1 crash. Team Telekom manager Walter Godefroot is reported to have called the injury an American-style publicity stunt, a comment which was surely not appreciated by Riis and his team. Cyclingnews' colleagues at the Danish newspaper BT noted that Riis has been showing x-rays of Hamilton's fracture to any doubters.

Hamilton for his part took advantage of the rest day with a long massage and a short spin on the indoor trainer, while his teammates went for an hour's ride on the roads yesterday morning.

Baguet takes chances when they come

7. matt_ttu

matt_ttu New Member

Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to me that maybe the French news papers can't stand that American cyclist have been dominating their national race. They say Lance is dopping even when he has taken and passed more drug tested than anyone else in any sport. Now Hamiliton is showing a lot of heart riding through pain and they can't give him any credit.

8. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

You get abit sick of reading the same old crap over and over again dont ya!

9. Lazy legs

Lazy legs New Member

Agree, his effort's inhumane. Things like this will always bring out the Judas priests, As said in this thread people who would never even have considered doing something like this will doubt the actions of people who do.
    Is this an American media hoo-ha? I don't even think they could have come up with a ploy such as this. ;)
    Jealousy is a very nasty emotion and will always bring out the worst in anybody.

BTW MP
    Shall we add this one to our "Dork" list? :D

10. Mouse Potato

Mouse Potato New Member

It's certainly dorky enough to qualify, but I've seen worse. Like Y-fronts that have been pulled up to approximately armpit level, giving a sort-of cummerbund effect above the waistband of corduroy trousers. Shirt tucked inside the Y-fronts too, of course. The joys of working in the computer industry... :rolleyes: :D

11. ManxRed

ManxRed New Member

How can you tell the shirt is actually inside the underpants without physically checking or blimping a quick look when the chap in question has his pants down?

I think we should be told!!

12. Brown Bomber

Brown Bomber New Member

Do Choppers ever take part in the Tour de France?

13. ManxRed

ManxRed New Member

Only the ones down the underpants (and tucked in with the shirt).

14. Mouse Potato

Mouse Potato New Member

I didn't physically check *shudder*, but the waistband of the undies was (easily) visible (way) above the waistband of the trousers. So either the undies went over the shirt, or the shirt was extremely short. Not a good look either way, believe me.

Um... Sorry for dragging the thread into the gutter, guys! I'll leave the subject alone (in this thread, anyway! :D) now.

15. ManxRed

ManxRed New Member

That's YOUR story...

16. Caroline King

Caroline King New Member

What's yours Manx.

17. ManxRed

ManxRed New Member

I'll tell you (and your mum) when we meet up!!

18. Caroline King

Caroline King New Member

I'll be in the Isle of Mann in August, so sometime after then?

19. ManxRed

ManxRed New Member

Yes. I'll be in London mind, but I'm sure we can hook up or something.

20. Caroline King

Caroline King New Member

Dip. Dip. Dip.