Did Armstrong take a cue from Roche..................................

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Heinz Getzler, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. Did Armstrong take a cue from Roche and let Ullrich attack they way Delgado did in the 1987 tdf.
    Trying to remember if the Tourmalet was in the 1987 tdf, I will have to look at some of my books...
    Luz Ardiden stage. The tactics were different, but there was some similarites. That day Roche
    attaked in the feed and Delgado caught him during the descent. Delgado then attacked, but Roche
    recovered. So perhaps Lance let Ullrich attack.

    Tags:

  2. Don't know about the Roche thing, but I sure got the feeling that Lance could have easily ridden
    back to Ulrich but decided to let Ulrich think he had a sustainable advantage so Ulrich would keep
    wearing himself out. If that's what Lance was up to, it would seem to have worked brilliantly!

    Bob C. "Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Did Armstrong take a cue from Roche and let Ullrich attack they way Delgado did in the 1987 tdf.
    > Trying to remember if the Tourmalet was in the 1987 tdf, I will have to look at some of my
    > books... Luz Ardiden stage. The tactics were different, but there was some similarites. That day
    > Roche attaked in the feed and Delgado caught him during the descent. Delgado then attacked, but
    > Roche recovered. So perhaps Lance let Ullrich attack.

  3. "Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Did Armstrong take a cue from Roche and let Ullrich attack they way Delgado did in the 1987 tdf.
    > Trying to remember if the Tourmalet was in the 1987 tdf, I will have to look at some of my
    > books... Luz Ardiden stage. The tactics were different, but there was some similarites. That day
    > Roche attaked in the feed and Delgado caught him during the descent. Delgado then attacked, but
    > Roche recovered. So perhaps Lance let Ullrich attack.

    Don't know if he cued from Roche, but he did say in post race interview that he thought it was too
    early (because of the long descent).