Did Cipo and Marco pick the wrong team to join??

Bob Parker

Guest
I didn't see it mentioned anywhere but it seems to me that Cipo and Pantani have to take some
responsibility for not being in the Tour. They signed on with weaker teams that did not have
automatic entry. I know there were lots of reasons for that. I'd love to see them both in the tour
but I can not blame the Tour organizers. Was this discussed?

Bob

The issue here isn't team "quality." Domine and Mercatone are just as good as the 4-5 second-string
french teams that were admitted to the Tour. But LeBlanc admitted these second-string french teams
so they can get some "gloire" in the first days of racing before the Tour gets serious. Therefore,
why would he admit an Italian sprinter (World Champion) to steal the "gloire" in the first weeks
from his second-string french buddies?

yup, it's the tour of France so it selects more french teams than is appropriate. The Tour of Italy
does the same with Italian teams. The Giro is also known as "The Italian World Championship".

otoh, if a racer is good enough, racing may change from the pursuit of excellence, to just a means
of putting better food on the table: http://www.bicyclecam.com/for_rbr/lion.mpg

John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com

news:[email protected]...

"xzzy" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The Tour of Italy does the same with Italian teams. The Giro is also known as "The Italian World
>Championship".

That's another story. It's the foreign team that do not want to come to ride the Giro anymore, for a
series of reason (lack of TV exposition, fear of police raids, parcours too favourable for italian
climbers, etc)

There were only 19 teams at the Giro start instead of the 22-23 allowed by UCI rules and 2 italian
crappy teams (the almost non existent Tenax and the bunch of over the hill has beens named Formaggi
Fiavé Pinzolo Ciarrocchi) were invited just 2 weeks before the start to not have only 17 team on the
starting line.

Any foreign team applying for a Giro invitation would have been invited, even Big Mat.

"Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "xzzy" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >The Tour of Italy does the same with Italian teams. The Giro is also known as "The Italian World
> >Championship".
>
> That's another story. It's the foreign team that do not want to come to ride the Giro anymore, for
> a series of reason (lack of TV exposition, fear of police raids, parcours too favourable for
> italian climbers, etc)
>
> There were only 19 teams at the Giro start instead of the 22-23 allowed by UCI rules and 2 italian
> crappy teams (the almost non existent Tenax and
the
> bunch of over the hill has beens named Formaggi Fiavé Pinzolo Ciarrocchi) were invited just 2
> weeks before the start to not have only 17 team on the starting line.
>
> Any foreign team applying for a Giro invitation would have been invited, even Big Mat.

Would they have taken Jittery Joe's?

"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> "xzzy" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >The Tour of Italy does the same with Italian teams. The Giro is also known as "The Italian World
>> >Championship".
>>
>> That's another story. It's the foreign team that do not want to come to ride the Giro anymore,
>> for a series of reason (lack of TV exposition, fear of police raids, parcours too favourable for
>> italian climbers, etc)
>>
>> There were only 19 teams at the Giro start instead of the 22-23 allowed by UCI rules and 2
>> italian crappy teams (the almost non existent Tenax and
>the
>> bunch of over the hill has beens named Formaggi Fiavé Pinzolo Ciarrocchi) were invited just 2
>> weeks before the start to not have only 17 team on the starting line.
>>
>> Any foreign team applying for a Giro invitation would have been invited, even Big Mat.
>

>Would they have taken Jittery Joe's?

Only Div. I and Div. II teams can take part to races that have a UCI ranking of *.2 or higher.

Italians are a bit scary behind the wheel but the skill level of the typical driver more than makes
up for that. Combined with the courtesy they show to the sportivos and you have another big reason
to hold your training camps there.

"Bret Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> TritonRider wrote:
>
> >>From: [email protected] (Davide Tosi)
> >

> >>There were only 19 teams at the Giro start instead of the 22-23 allowed
by
> >>UCI rules and 2 italian crappy teams (the almost non existent Tenax and
the
> >>bunch of over the hill has beens named Formaggi Fiavé Pinzolo
Ciarrocchi)
> >>were invited just 2 weeks before the start to not have only 17 team on
the
> >>starting line.
> >

> > This is incredibly sad to me. France gets all the glory, but the heart
and
> > soul of cycling is in Italy. Madonna D'Ghisallo is the absolute center
of what
> > real cyclists are about. I am sure as hell that it'd either take me a
week to
> > get up that climb, or I'd be gone. We did most of northern Italy with
the kids
> > racing, and checking out the routes, both by car and bike. The people
were
> > fantastic, the roads interesting, and the drivers just plain nuts. If you have any sense of
> > cycling history, and how the spirit continues
today,
> > you have to love Italy. Why teams would choose not to go, other than for money grubbing reasons
is
> > beyond me.
> >
> > Those who honor and remember history will be wiser in the future. Bill C
> >

> Bigger isn't necessarily better. France will always be the center, but I go to Italy to ride. I
> disagree about the italian drivers. They all seem to have a plan which is more than I can say for
> the CO locals.
>
> Bret

Robert Parque is French! What other explanation could there be?

On 3 Jun 2003 13:09:55 -0700, [email protected] (Bob Parker) wrote:

>I didn't see it mentioned anywhere but it seems to me that Cipo and Pantani have to take some
>responsibility for not being in the Tour. They signed on with weaker teams that did not have
>automatic entry. I know there were lots of reasons for that. I'd love to see them both in the tour
>but I can not blame the Tour organizers. Was this discussed?
>
>Bob

WARNING:

This is extremely explicit and violent footage of a man on safari being mauled by three lions while
his friends and family watch horrified and helpless.

It is very disturbing, not at all cycling related, and IMHO extremely poor taste.