Did I damage this tire?

ricelid

Aug 17, 2010
Hi,
I just removed a tire to fix a flat. I guess I was a bit harsh with my tire levers, because I seem to have stripped away some of the rubber that was beneath the bead.

I have attached some photos to show exactly what I'm talking about. I am afraid that I have damaged the tire and will get a blow-out if I re-use it. What do you think?

Thanks for any advice.

Also, if I did damage the tire, what did I do wrong, I am using Park Tool levers.

It almost looks like it has effected the bead of the tire. I would be careful with it. Maybe pump it up and make sure it holds. If it does, ride it around the neighborhood first just to be safe.

It doesn't look to bad, but I'd double check it out around the house before taking off on a long ride

It's not a stretch to think that bead is damaged in a not so insignificant way. My worry would be that bead failing at the wrong time: cornerinig, descending, emergency braking, in a pack........Iffin' it were me, that tire would come off and go elsewhere in the garage, replaced with another vulcanized skin of rubber.