Did I get ripped off????????????????????????????

muenzers

Jan 17, 2013
So I just bought a new Trek Domane 4.5 Road Bike about 3 weeks ago. Love the bike, I'm having a lot of fun and I'm really happy with the quality and the feel of the bike.

I realized some clicking sounds the other day and since I couldn't make it out from where it was coming from I brought it into a Trek Retailer and had them look at it. My assumption was wrong, I figured it was coming from the bearings but supposedly it was the spokes that weren't tightened up enough, they told me to come back give it a quick test ride and see if I still hear it, cause they couldn't when they drove it. So I took it for a spin and as I was standing up to get some speed the crankset broke.

Kinda hard to explain what exactly happened, but the left and right crankset were not in one line anymore and when the guy took it apart he said that the threading was worn off. You know how both crank arms usually form a line when you look from either side, well now there was an angle there.

And here come the thing, he ordered a new part and installed it immediately the next day. He said he gave me an upgrade on the part but after researching it I'm not so sure he did.

I had a Shimano R565, 50/34 (compact) on there when I bought it and now I have a Shimano 105 FC 5700. According to the website and some reviews the one I had before was better and crisper and also more expensive. I'm wondering if he ordered a cheaper part and put in the claim to Trek for the original part. to make about $100 to $120

I'm fairly new to this so I have a hard time telling which is actually better, I don't care if I will notice the difference or not, I know that Shimano makes very good products but I wanna know if I now have a lower value (price only) part on there that mismatches the rest of my Ultegra system

Thank you for your response!

Actually the 105 compact crank, FC-5750, is a nicer crank which normally almost twice as expensive (expensive may not be the best metric, but it gives a sense of where the two are with respect to each other in the Shimano crankset lineup) as the FC-R565, so know you didn't get ripped off. Instead you got a bit of an upgrade.

Originally Posted by alienator .
Instead you got a bit of an upgrade.
As the dealer said. There are guys at bike shops who won't try to rip you off.

Thanks guys! I was just trying to make heads and tails out. Still really new to cycling. I do appreciate your responses and inputs thanks again

Originally Posted by muenzers .

I had a Shimano R565, 50/34 (compact) on there when I bought it and now I have a Shimano 105 FC 5700. According to the website and some reviews the one I had before was better and crisper and also more expensive. I'm wondering if he ordered a cheaper part and put in the claim to Trek for the original part. to make about $100 to $120
FYI. Most Shimano cranks can be considered to be excellent ...

• the 105-and-better (i.e., Ultegra & Dura Ace ... plus, XT & XTR) crank arms are "Hollowtech" (as the name may suggest, the crank arms are "hollow" -- a "box" construction which is supposedly stiffer while weighing less rather than a forged arm with an hollowed out groove on the inner face of the crank arm) ...
  • all of the others (I'm not sure about the SLX) cranks have forged crank arms -- the R565 is not an Ultegra crankset.

BTW. The recent Ultegra & Dura Ace cranksets use super duper (and, "hollow") chainrings which are shockingly expensive ...

The 105 cranks still use "normal" chainrings -- a good thing!

Originally Posted by muenzers .

Thanks guys! I was just trying to make heads and tails out. Still really new to cycling. I do appreciate your responses and inputs

thanks again

Ok ok manners are great but no need to be a kiss ass lol