Did I make a Big Training Mistake?

JTE83 said:
Yeah, after a long days ride to lose weight I tried not to eat a heavy meal. I only drink diet soda (Diet Barq’s or Diet Sunkist). I have to make sacrifices and not eat too much cookies, cakes, or candies. At most I would eat 260 calories of anything like a cookie or doughnut (per day), but I would limit myself to one big 160 calorie Pepperidge Farm Soft Baked cookie and a glass of Soy Chocolate “milk.” If I made a mistake in eating one day – I gained weight the next day – I would not repeat the same eating mistake. Most of the time I ate a decent lunch and dinner and skipped breakfast. If I woke up early I would eat a light breakfast – like a Pepperidge Farm Soft Baked cookie and a glass of Soy Chocolate “milk.”
I'm with you on the Diet Sunkist - doesn't have the huge "I'm Diet" thing going on!

Don't be too hard on yourself day to day - your daily weight fluctuates for reasons that have little to do with body fat, hydration for one. It's the trend that matters, one week/month to the next. You'll hit plateaus from time to time - just remember that what you've been doing got you this far, so you only need to tweak it to continue. One thing that's helped me is to _start_ eating breakfast (a light one, this morning was about 1/2 cup of grape-nuts and a handful of raisins) This helped me not be so hungry for lunch. I've also started eating somewhat healthier mid-morning and afternoon snacks - fruit, granola bars, etc. [font=&quot][/font]

danch said:
I'm with you on the Diet Sunkist - doesn't have the huge "I'm Diet" thing going on!

Don't be too hard on yourself day to day - your daily weight fluctuates for reasons that have little to do with body fat, hydration for one. It's the trend that matters, one week/month to the next. You'll hit plateaus from time to time - just remember that what you've been doing got you this far, so you only need to tweak it to continue. One thing that's helped me is to _start_ eating breakfast (a light one, this morning was about 1/2 cup of grape-nuts and a handful of raisins) This helped me not be so hungry for lunch. I've also started eating somewhat healthier mid-morning and afternoon snacks - fruit, granola bars, etc.
My breakfast is either museli, yoghurt & honey followed by two slices of rye toast OR a great home-made protein shake, again follow by rye toast.

Shake:
- 1 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 banana
- 1 tbls honey
- 1/2 cup natural yoghurt
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 egg
Blend.

I find that a bit of protein at breakfast (nuts in the museli, eggs, dairy, etc) makes me feel fuller and reduces my snacking on rubbish dramatically.

It IS important to treat yourself (in small amounts) of 'naughty' foods you love, eg chocolate. The small amount is the key. If you deprive yourself altogether you're setting yourself up for a binge.

To me, diet drinks taste like **** and there's a few man-made nasties that go into them. I'd rather train hard during the week and have a nice Coke with my Sunday lunch (or whatever spins your chain). Again, it's all in the amount, a can, not a litre bottle! I'm really trying to eat 90+% food that come off a tree or out of the ground, rather than a processed packet. It takes more effort but at least you know what you're getting. Do low-fat cooking course!

Cheers,

Stanners

JTE83 said:
I got my Polar Power kit the cheapest at www.heartratemonitorsusa.com
They don't advertise the Polar Power Output kit on the web, but if you call them - they have it. I requested it when I ordered my S720i - and they had it for $240 to $260. My Power Output Kit failed in 6 months / sent it to Polar USA for warranty repairs and they sent it back in 1.5 weeks. Don't buy the Power kit from ebay -- you need the warranty!
Cheers, I'll check them out...

JTE83 said:
What's your speed at 70% MHR? At 79% ? At 86% ? How long have you been training ?
Very rough figures here: 70% = ~30-31km/h, 75-80% = ~34-35km/h. 86% is hard to say because I wouldn't get up there on the flat and it's under what I'd be sprinting. Eg. I'd get to 86% doing a short intense climb of a minute of say so. Speed is obviously reduced b/c of the hill!

At 92+% (sprinting) I can hit 55km/h on the flat. I'm working to improve it as it'll have to be over 60km/h if I want to safely blow the doors off most smart arses!

No idea on my body fat but I'm curious!

Cheers,

Stanners

JTE83 said:
Between May 18th to August 7th – I biked 941.6 miles. 2 weeks were at 130 miles. Average week miles was 78.8 miles. Least miles per week was 41.4miles. My training days are governed by the weather – I don’t bike in the rain but I did get caught in the rain twice (soaked up shoes aren’t nice). On a day were I could not bike I did not use a trainer. If I had insomnia I did not bike. If I biked less than 25 miles one day I would be ok for me to bike the next day. Otherwise, the next day would be a rest day. I do not do on easy recovery rides.

On my 41.4 mile week I biked 36.2 mi on Monday, then biked only 5.2 miles on Saturday. Did not use a trainer on my days off. What a bad week. – I’ll switch to using a trainer on bad weather days and watching Tour De France dvd’s on from now on.

I learned after my first 30 mile ride that a 30+ mile ride will make you lose considerable weight (at 86% MHR, -- for me).

Yeah, after a long days ride to lose weight I tried not to eat a heavy meal. I only drink diet soda (Diet Barq’s or Diet Sunkist). I have to make sacrifices and not eat too much cookies, cakes, or candies. At most I would eat 260 calories of anything like a cookie or doughnut (per day), but I would limit myself to one big 160 calorie Pepperidge Farm Soft Baked cookie and a glass of Soy Chocolate “milk.” If I made a mistake in eating one day – I gained weight the next day – I would not repeat the same eating mistake. Most of the time I ate a decent lunch and dinner and skipped breakfast. If I woke up early I would eat a light breakfast – like a Pepperidge Farm Soft Baked cookie and a glass of Soy Chocolate “milk.”

It really hurts your motivation to ride when you gain back the weight you lost by eating.

My training bike -- a 2002 Giant TCR Aero 2 (105, R535 wheels) -- has a polar power output kit. But the Polar Power kit isn't too accurate -- I would believe the numbers I get from an SRM Professional.
JTE83: OK, that's some good mileage. You obviously just posted selected samples in the data you provided. Still believe riding more miles at a slower pace would be the way to go.

Diet is a constant challenge for me as well. Last year, I lost 43 pounds to get to my goal weight of 168 lbs (76 kg). I gave up on cookies, ice cream and sweets all together, and I really don't miss them. For me, it's easier than trying to limit myself to a once a week reward.

This year I've been riding a lot more, and eating more carbs. Still, it takes control every day for me. Can't imagine skipping breakfast though.....I always have one egg and cottage cheese for breakfast, plus grits or oatmeal when I'm going on a ride.

dhk said:
Did you establish your actual Max HR from a road or lab test? 80-90% of your real max would be very intense training for every session...the pro's don't go that hard!

Not according to Chris Charmichael (Lance's coach) - I recently bought and have been training with his book "The ultimate ride". The biggest component of his training regime is what he calls FM 'Foundation Miles' which consists of 9-12hrs a week @ 89% of your max HR, max being your avg over a short TT. Mine is 181 so my FM hr = 161bpm Which is definitvley my anaerobic HR zone; 6mo ago 161bpm was kicking my butt, now I can eat and converse clamly, my speed avg went from 18 to 21.

allanw said:
Not according to Chris Charmichael (Lance's coach) - I recently bought and have been training with his book "The ultimate ride". The biggest component of his training regime is what he calls FM 'Foundation Miles' which consists of 9-12hrs a week @ 89% of your max HR, max being your avg over a short TT.
That's not "your real max" by definition, and Chris discusses why he uses this average rather than a real max in the book.

I entered a Race – the Downer’s Grove National Championship events – specific category – Men’s 30+ Citizen Race. Entering the race I had 1391.58 miles of “training” behind me. But I “trained” to lose weight, not to race. I didn’t do intervals or max output training.

Well, after the first lap of the race I was in the middle of the peloton. I crashed in the 2nd turn of the 2nd lap, readjusted my bike, and was given a free lap. Then I raced for two or 3 more laps – but I started behind the peloton and lost the draft. I was pulled out of the race.

Below is the HRM file of the race. I “rediscovered” my new Max Heart Rate (185, not 183) because this race really pulled me to the limit. My avg HR for the race was 94.6 % MHR.

It was disappointing to discover that 1392 miles of training is not enough to successfully compete in a race.

I will continue to train to lose weight this year until I reach 150 lbs. I don’t know whether I’ll train next year just for racing, but I love being fast on a bike. And going places and saving money on gas is such a treat.

Bike racing is such a dangerous sport. Especially when you crash in a turn. If I gain skills in high speed cornering I might consider racing.

JTE83 said:
It was disappointing to discover that 1392 miles of training is not enough to successfully compete in a race.

If you want to be in serious contention for the overall win, you probably need to add a zero to the end of that. Maybe two. Lance is 'on his bike, 6hrs a day'. Figuring that he's probably covering an average of 100mi/day (at a wild-@$$-guess . . ), that's 700mi/wk, or 35000mi/yr. (probably somewhere in the 25k-30k range is a more realistic, but still WA-guess) The guys who race seriously will maybe not be riding *that* far each year, but you can bet it's waaaay more than a couple of thousand miles. And they've been doing it year in and year out for several years. That's not to slight your achievement, but just to show you what you're dealing with.

On the other hand, if you want to compete against *yourself*, (ie continue improving, have something to aim your training at, etc) races are great. I'm a triathlete, and I'm a confirmed BOPer (back-of-the-pack-er). I've never had even the faintest ghost of a chance of finishing anywhere near the front of any race I've done, but I still love getting out there, trying to go faster than I did before, trying to improve my skills in the water, my nutrition skills, pacing skills . . . lots of stuff to improve. Racing is fun! And I find it a lot easiet to go 'train for a race' than I do to go 'exercise for health'. It's all in the mindset. External goals are good things.

JTE83 said:
I entered a Race – the Downer’s Grove National Championship events – specific category – Men’s 30+ Citizen Race. Entering the race I had 1391.58 miles of “training” behind me. But I “trained” to lose weight, not to race. I didn’t do intervals or max output training.

Well, after the first lap of the race I was in the middle of the peloton. I crashed in the 2nd turn of the 2nd lap, readjusted my bike, and was given a free lap. Then I raced for two or 3 more laps – but I started behind the peloton and lost the draft. I was pulled out of the race.

Below is the HRM file of the race. I “rediscovered” my new Max Heart Rate (185, not 183) because this race really pulled me to the limit. My avg HR for the race was 94.6 % MHR.

I will continue to train to lose weight this year until I reach 150 lbs. I don’t know whether I’ll train next year just for racing, but I love being fast on a bike. And going places and saving money on gas is such a treat.

Bike racing is such a dangerous sport. Especially when you crash in a turn. If I gain skills in high speed cornering I might consider racing.
That's Awesome man, congratulations!!!!

The first is always the hardest/weirdest... Sort of a reality check. I thought I was ready for my first race - WRONG!!! I was dropped at mile 56 (of 70), I went back and recalibrated my training (duration & intensity); like I mentioned when I first replied to your thread anaerobic training is critical, looks like you spent most of your race at or above...

Question; On your graph, where's the alt & what's with 14min?

allanw said:
That's Awesome man, congratulations!!!!

The first is always the hardest/weirdest... Sort of a reality check. I thought I was ready for my first race - WRONG!!! I was dropped at mile 56 (of 70), I went back and recalibrated my training (duration & intensity); like I mentioned when I first replied to your thread anaerobic training is critical, looks like you spent most of your race at or above...

Question; On your graph, where's the alt & what's with 14min?

Sadly, I forgot to put the Altitude recording on my S720I for the race. The race was on a course that was half uphill / half downhill. I wasn't able to press the lap button for each lap during the race -- so 14 min was my total race time. Each lap was 1.0 to 1.2 miles, so I probably did 3 or 4 laps. The crash really messed me up. If I had good cornering skills I may have done better. The first cavern in my HR data is due to the crash.

The race is at http://www.dgnationalchampionships.com/

I found a park nearby where I live where I can practice cornering. But losing skin is harsh!

How many miles of training did you do for your race ?

JTE83 said:
Sadly, I forgot to put the Altitude recording on my S720I for the race. The race was on a course that was half uphill / half downhill. I wasn't able to press the lap button for each lap during the race -- so 14 min was my total race time. Each lap was 1.0 to 1.2 miles, so I probably did 3 or 4 laps. The crash really messed me up. If I had good cornering skills I may have done better. The first cavern in my HR data is due to the crash.

The race is at http://www.dgnationalchampionships.com/

I found a park nearby where I live where I can practice cornering. But losing skin is harsh!

How many miles of training did you do for your race ?
Really well done on having a go mate.

I know I've stirred you a bit on this thread on a few things but you have already achieved a lot with losing weight and increasing your fitness.

Don't be harsh on yourself for having a 'bomb' at your first outing. The first one is always the hardest coz you just don't know what to expect. Pacing yourself is often the hardest bit.

Cornering (as you discovered) is also much harder in the heat of battle than it is training by yourself. If you're really keen, get some mates, some bikes and practice bumping and rubbing on an oval. If you get used to it, you won't sh1t yourself when it happens in comp.

Cheers,

Stanners

Well, after biking around 1560 miles this year and some dieting, I reached 162 lbs – past my goal weight of 165. So I thought that since I was lighter I might be able to jump (bronco or bunnyhop) a bmx bike real high. Well to my surprise, I couldn’t even lift myself up! Either my muscles atrophied from lack of use or I got weaker – maybe through the lack of protein in my diet. But I tried to eat protein during my diet – but now I know I didn’t have enough. So now I’m using a protein powder drink mix like Designer Whey to increase my protein intake per day. This will only cost me $1 to $2 per day of use (2 to 4 servings per day, 18g protein per serving). And hopefully I’ll be building a lot of leg muscle and heart muscle because of this protein powder. I wish I used it earlier.