Did I really see that?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by AustinMN, Mar 1, 2004.

  1. AustinMN

    AustinMN Guest

    From the "never seen that before" department...

    I was crossing the Coon Rapids Dam (crosses the Mississippi river in Coon Rapids Regional Park,
    outside Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA) Saturday on foot. Three adult male persons on bicycles (almost
    said cyclists, but that would have given them too much credit) were approaching from the other
    direction. Major phred factor in force, with seats way too low (and splayed knees to prove it), blue
    jeans, sweatshirts and I think one T-shirt.

    I was with my family and almost embarrassed by the sight when I realized they were passing a cell
    phone back and forth, and apparently trying to type a text message as they rode. But that wasn't the
    real surprise...

    Just as they passed, I noticed that the guy with the cell phone at that moment also had the biggest
    cigar I'd seen in years sticking out his mouth. Yes, it was lit.

    Austin

    Tags:

  2. AustinMN <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Just as they passed, I noticed that the guy with the cell phone at that moment also had the
    > biggest cigar I'd seen in years sticking out his mouth. Yes, it was lit.

    eh? a good percentage of the messengers smoke (cigarettes i mean) .. some on the bike .. their races
    should really be split up into smoker and non- smoker categories. some of the younger ones (with
    relatively pristine lungs) can really haul despite a pack a day habit. cigars are a lot easier (no
    inhale) .. i've done it while riding.
    --
    david reuteler

  3. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 18:07:58 GMT, "AustinMN" <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    >Just as they passed, I noticed that the guy with the cell phone at that moment also had the biggest
    >cigar I'd seen in years sticking out his mouth. Yes, it was lit.

    Wow. I probably wouldn't get more than a meter down the road with the saddle all the way down, blue
    jeans, sweatshirt, etc while smoking a cigar and text messaging. Sounds like some pretty skilled
    riders, if you ask me.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  4. On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 16:07:54 -0500, Rick Onanian <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 18:07:58 GMT, "AustinMN" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>Just as they passed, I noticed that the guy with the cell phone at that moment also had the
    >>biggest cigar I'd seen in years sticking out his mouth. Yes, it was lit.
    >
    >Wow. I probably wouldn't get more than a meter down the road with the saddle all the way down, blue
    >jeans, sweatshirt, etc while smoking a cigar and text messaging. Sounds like some pretty skilled
    >riders, if you ask me.

    That's what they make lowrider bikes for...!

    -Luigi

  5. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Mon, 01 Mar 2004 18:07:58 GMT,
    <[email protected]>,
    "AustinMN" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Just as they passed, I noticed that the guy with the cell phone at that moment also had the biggest
    >cigar I'd seen in years sticking out his mouth. Yes, it was lit.
    >
    >Austin

    So? They were out playing on a FMUP where they belonged.

    No style points unless he had a beer holder on the handlebars and a cooler on the rack.
    --
    zk

  6. They were probably on their way back to their Cadillac Escapades after a hard two miles! LOL

    "May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills!"

    Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

  7. On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 20:10:44 -0500 (EST), [email protected] (Chris
    Zacho "The Wheelman") wrote:

    >They were probably on their way back to their Cadillac Escapades after a hard two miles! LOL

    "Escalade," which is a technical term meaning "to storm a fortification by means of scaling-ladders"

    -Luigi footnote

  8. Cipher

    Cipher New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2002
    What about yankin their bell bottom jeans out of the front chain ring...

  9. Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > "Escalade," which is a technical term meaning "to storm a fortification by means of scaling-
    > ladders"

    It can also mean crossing a moat or ditch via ladder (used horizontally) which is a little closer to
    their supposed use.

    So, do the Caddies have a ladder frame? I've yet to pass under one to check.

  10. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On 2 Mar 2004 08:04:17 -0800, [email protected] (Brian Huntley) wrote:
    >It can also mean crossing a moat or ditch via ladder (used horizontally) which is a little closer
    >to their supposed use.

    I don't think there's anybody with any such illusion, not even somebody in the marketing department,
    or any customer. They're worst expectation is to carry bicycles down a dirt road.

    Speaking of which, I saw somebody with a Chevy Tahoe (same vehicle with less luxury) with a road
    bike mounted to a roof rack, your average Thule or Yakima. How much trouble would somebody really
    want to go to just to avoid putting the bike in the carpeted cargo area? That's a damn tall roof to
    reach up and secure a bike -- it probably had to be done with a ladder.

    >So, do the Caddies have a ladder frame? I've yet to pass under one to check.

    Yes. It's built on the GM full size pickup truck platform (as is the Tahoe mentioned above).
    --
    Rick Onanian

  11. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    I've seen the same old hippie on our local Rails to Trails pedaling an old Murray road bike, playing
    Grateful Dead on his boom box, while smoking a doobie.....

  12. On 2 Mar 2004 08:04:17 -0800, [email protected] (Brian
    Huntley) wrote:

    >Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<lp[email protected]>...
    >>
    >> "Escalade," which is a technical term meaning "to storm a fortification by means of scaling-
    >> ladders"
    >>
    >It can also mean crossing a moat or ditch via ladder (used horizontally) which is a little closer
    >to their supposed use.

    The closest to a ditch those barges get is the mall parking lot.

    -Luigi

    now, circumvallation--that's a word!

  13. "Gooserider" <[email protected]> writes:

    mad stylee

    > I've seen the same old hippie on our local Rails to Trails pedaling an old Murray road bike,
    > playing Grateful Dead on his boom box, while smoking a doobie.....

    --
    Sincerely, Craig Brozefsky <[email protected]

  14. Gooserider <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I've seen the same old hippie on our local Rails to Trails pedaling an old Murray road bike,
    > playing Grateful Dead on his boom box, while smoking a doobie.....

    god bless america! or quite possibly canada.
    --
    david reuteler reuteler at visi dot com

  15. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote

    > I don't think there's anybody with any such illusion, not even somebody in the marketing
    > department, or any customer. They're worst expectation is to carry bicycles down a dirt road.

    A lot are under the impression that an SUV is as good or better than a minivan at carrying
    people/stuff. Which is not the case.

    Pete

  16. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 22:30:10 GMT, "Gooserider" <[email protected]> from
    RoadRunner - Tampa Bay wrote:

    >I've seen the same old hippie on our local Rails to Trails pedaling an old Murray road bike,
    >playing Grateful Dead on his boom box, while smoking a doobie.....

    Man, that sounds like The Life.

    --
    [email protected]
    Use an old idea.

  17. quote...

    "Major phred factor in force....blue jeans, sweatshirts and I think one T-shirt."

    Yep, that's the attitude I love about "cyclists;" if you're not wearing the latest $200 shorts or
    bibs, then you just ain't a cyclist.

    Now could someone please tell just where in the hell it says that if someone is wearing bluejeans
    and a sweatshirt it makes them any less of a cyclist than someone who has the most expensive outfit,
    and most expensive bike to match???

    No wonder so few people take up "cycling."

    AJC

  18. On 04 Mar 2004 04:38:45 GMT, [email protected] (TheCyclist2002)
    wrote:

    >quote...
    >
    >"Major phred factor in force....blue jeans, sweatshirts and I think one T-shirt."
    >
    >Yep, that's the attitude I love about "cyclists;" if you're not wearing the latest $200 shorts or
    >bibs, then you just ain't a cyclist.
    >
    >Now could someone please tell just where in the hell it says that if someone is wearing bluejeans
    >and a sweatshirt it makes them any less of a cyclist than someone who has the most expensive
    >outfit, and most expensive bike to match???

    having ridden in bluejeans, I have to say that the pain that these cause after a while in the saddle
    limits range. If i'm wearing jeans and on a bicycle, then I'm on a quick ride to the store or the
    library or whatever.

    I've nothing against being dressed correctly for a given situation; if the situation is an audax
    ride, bluejeans aren't going to do. They will hurt.

    >No wonder so few people take up "cycling."

    True. But a lot fo those people also have bicycles. It's tough to reach out to them and get them to
    ride on the road, with traffic, obeying the laws, though....

    *sigh*

    -Luigi

    >AJC

  19. Ben Pfaff

    Ben Pfaff Guest

    Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> writes:

    > having ridden in bluejeans, I have to say that the pain that these cause after a while in the
    > saddle limits range. If i'm wearing jeans and on a bicycle, then I'm on a quick ride to the store
    > or the library or whatever.

    I think this depends on the person, or perhaps on the jeans. I've gone on 20 mile and longer rides
    in blue jeans and it's never been a problem for me.
    --
    Ben Pfaff email: [email protected] web: http://benpfaff.org

  20. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (TheCyclist2002) writes:
    > quote...
    >
    > "Major phred factor in force....blue jeans, sweatshirts and I think one T-shirt."
    >
    > Yep, that's the attitude I love about "cyclists;" if you're not wearing the latest $200 shorts or
    > bibs, then you just ain't a cyclist.
    >
    > Now could someone please tell just where in the hell it says that if someone is wearing bluejeans
    > and a sweatshirt it makes them any less of a cyclist than someone who has the most expensive
    > outfit, and most expensive bike to match???
    >
    > No wonder so few people take up "cycling."

    People /should/ be able to ride, and dress "normal". For short, utilitarian hops, it's
    even possible.

    But the fact remains that for round trip distances of 6-10 miles or more, one has to wear attire
    that best interfaces the human body with the vehicle. With bicycles, that means chamoised shorts, no
    cotton, and no copper jeans rivets.

    Otherwise, PicAssO forRestOfLifeO. Only other option would be operacion majorca with a sizzling
    Hyfrecator, burningly painful sitz baths, and medical personnel passing by and looking amusedly at
    you with your ass squatted in a large bowl of epsom salt warm water.

    Cycling is serious beeswax.

    Just 'cuz in the movie dusters ppl readily hop onto horses like we jump into taxis, doesn't mean
    horseback riding is a piece of cake, either. Same with bikes.

    Take care of your ass, and it will take care of you. Don't take care of it, and it'll take you out.

    cheers, Tom